RIP—A tribute to a great man

Our sincere condolences too...

Condolences @RR 314 truly a miserable day when you lose your father! Prayers for you and your family

Prayers for your family! Sounds like a life well lived!

Our most sincere condolences to you and your family. May your dad rest in peace in the green fields of heaven. Keep your dad's memory alive by doing the things you both love doing.

Although we’ve never met, and I didn’t know your father, please accept my heartfelt condolences on your loss.
He sounds like a great man.

My most sincere condolences Tommy.

My father played basketball for UT as well just before being drafted into the Marines during WWII.

Growing up in Austin, the University of Texas was a big part of our lives but I never knew they had a rodeo team.

I would’ve loved to had a whiskey and visit with your father, sounds like he had an amazing life.

Godspeed

John Ed

My most sincere condolences Tommy.

My father played basketball for UT as well just before being drafted into the Marines during WWII.

Growing up in Austin, the University of Texas was a big part of our lives but I never knew they had a rodeo team.

I would’ve loved to had a whiskey and visit with your father, sounds like he had an amazing life.

Godspeed

John Ed
Thanks John Ed, and others. Rodeo was a pretty big deal for a period apparently. They called themselves Los Charros and I cannot recall if the University provided "scholarships" or if it was ranchers etc. kicked in to sponsor the kids. He said it wasn't much, but covered at least books (and I think meals). They had an arena around Guadalupe and Lamar (from my weary memory). Dad said their events were fairly well attended. He said the governor (no idea who), LBJ and others would commonly attend. Said it was a blast! Great life and man he would have loved to have swapped stories with you. He loved Tory V. and man, they could talk for hours!

Wow! That is an incredible obituary.

He truly was a special man.

Being that he was awarded the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster is VERY impressive. Those are rare and hard to earn.
Thank you. From memory he cherished the Defense Superior Service Metal perhaps even more. He was a great man indeed.

My condolences for the loss of your father. He lived a wonderful and full life.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the dead. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." George Patton.

Easier said than done.

With a father like you describe, you are a wealthy (not meant as "materially" ) and blessed man. We come into this world with only a name, and go out of it the same way. You were bequeathed a great one.

:A Praying:

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the dead. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." George Patton.

Easier said than done.

With a father like you describe, you are a wealthy (not meant as "materially" ) and blessed man. We come into this world with only a name, and go out of it the same way. You were bequeathed a great one.

:A Praying:
So true. Thank you. One of the few things one cannot control in life is who their parents are. :-). I won the lottery on that front!

What a life lived. My condolences, and thank you for sharing here.

Hook 'Em!

Some of you know my dad, although he outlived many of his hunting and fishing buddies. I haven’t been on here much lately, but am coming up for air. My dad was a true giant and honestly, trying to set aside any bias, was the greatest man I have known. A true man of integrity who lived a great life and saw the world. He played football and basketball at the University of Texas, got his books (and I believe meal plan) covered by being on the UT rodeo team in law school, and was a brilliant lawyer for over sixty years. A great outdoorsman who taught me most of everything I know about guns, hunting, fishing, trapping etc. He also taught me to be the man I strive to be. Here is to a life well lived. Love you, Pops!

Edit: Dang. You have to click on “obituary and events” to read the actual obituary if interested.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. God bless....

So sad and sorry for your loss.

Please accept my condolences. Your father lived quite the full life and one that should be an example to all of us.

Sorry for your loss from a fellow UT grad. Looks like he lived a full and awesome life.

RR314, thanks for sharing your dad's story / legacy with us. Obviously, he set the "chinning bar" pretty high. While the memory of his death is fleeting, your memories of his life will last forever.

My condolences, may he rest in peace.

Thanks to all. Service was good and a tribute to a great man. I often come here to escape the doldrums of everyday life. The escape is much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenniJacqu

Latest profile posts

Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg