Politics

^^ this ^^

A USN or USMC NCO should have been behind that rifle if the intent was to do some sort of social media "marketing" or "recruiting", etc.. or.. if they were actually needing to engage a target for some reason...

Whether or not the optic was on backwards IMO is inconsequential... the fact that hes showboating for a camera rather than the people that SHOULD be in that position tells me quite a bit about his leadership (or lack thereof)...

The Marine Corps got a bit of trolling in when this happened, they put a picture of a LCpl firing from the deck of a ship on one of their official press pages a day or so after the debacle, kind of a funny jab at the Navy.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2024-04-11/navy-backwards-scope-photo-13528758.html

We had a Marine infantry company next to our compound in Afghanistan. There was a 1stSgt over there that gave all the grunts over there constant hell about white socks, cuffed sleeves, etc.
Normal 1stSgt stuff, but I guess he was a little over the top at times (never bothered us).

Anyway we shared a makeshift DFAC with them, and all our food and cooking equipment was kept in the building. One night there was a huge fire that broke out and everyone just kinda grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher, water hose, whatever they could find and started trying to put out the fire (lost basically everything, really sucked for a bit).

In the madness the aforementioned 1stSgt had just thrown his boots on and ran out to help and whatnot, but the 1stSgt had failed to blouse his boots....

One of the grunts managed to snap a picture of him with unbloused boots and the fire raging in the background. They printed it with the caption "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DONT BLOUSE OUR BOOTS" and posted a couple copies around their camp. Was pretty funny, and I don't think they ever found the culprit.

There are numerous questions about this story that will probably never be made public.
None of it should be made public. Frankly, it is none of Public's business. It is purely Navy business and the Navy's responsibility to exercise command and provide sailors and marines the best leadership possible.

None of it should be made public. Frankly, it is none of Public's business. It is purely Navy business and the Navy's responsibility to exercise command and provide sailors and marines the best leadership possible.
Who does the military work for? The federal govt has command and oversight over the military and its operations and the federal govt works for us.
So in that sense it is our business.

Who does the military work for? The federal govt has command and oversight over the military and its operations and the federal govt works for us.
Personnel issues are never made public. You are not going to get personnel files of any government employee legally.

Personally I would prefer that the military not compromise command integrity by airing their dirty laundry.

That is the point we are at! I'm not a Trump fan but I'm sending him money and have Trump banners up at this point. I'm voting for and supporting the better policy maker. Certainly not what I wanted but here we are. These are the choices no matter how much we want to belly acje and bitch about it. Time to realize reality and choose one of these drastically differing candidates and go to the polls and cast your vote. Hopefully considering all the issues at hand and being as informed as possible.

Time to set personal biases aside and decide which policy you want. Communism or Capitalism.

I have a friend that posted this, seems fitting to add to your comment.
Screenshot_20240904_235211_Chrome.jpg

Venezuela Tidbit:
Operation Money Badger was a joint DEA/CIA effort to alter the Presidential election in Venezuela. Spies were sent to bribe or otherwise ensnare (black mail) Pres Maduro and 15 of his closest friends and allies. The operation violated international law, and it failed. A description of the entire operation was inadvertently placed on the DEA website, taken down too late, and published by the AP. Embarrassing? Two Senior Supervisors at the DEA were thrown under the bus, and prosecuted by the US Attorney's Office in Manhattan. I don't have a dog in this, but 95 countries sent election monitor teams to Venz. And Jimmy Carter once said, that the election process in Venezuela was "the best in the World". Think about this the next time some CIA mouthpiece (CNN, ABC or MSNBC) tells you that an election was a farce, or a sham. Maybe it just plain didn't go their way. Or when a politician waxes long and hard about another Country trying to influence OUR election. Cuts both ways...FWB

My guess is he was incompetent - regardless of his political beliefs.

Of course we are all speculating on the real issue or background. My rushed point was agreeing with you that his loss of command is more than the staged photo, and backwards scope. (Does anyone know the story on why he is not in uniform in the photo?)

Also, incompetence does happen but to be given command of a ship he has surely demonstrated competence. So incompetence is less likely.

So my reasoning is that the odds favor a different backstory than incompetence. More behavioral, I’m guessing.

My guesses given previously were just spitballing other possibilities.

More pure speculation

I’m guessing he is a “Swashbuckler” and has been on the radar.

If he stays in the Navy. We most likely won’t know. But if he is a Swashbuckler and he gets out. He will let us know why he was relieved.

I’m putting my chips on him being too vocal on the purpose of the task force deployment. Or his political commentary.

Of one thing I am certain, neither you or I know anything about her career other than what jobs are listed in her bio. Those are progressively of more demanding responsibility in the surface navy. Most importantly, she successfully commanded the class ship of which she is currently taking temporary command. The Roosevelt Strike Group is in harm's way, and the admiral commanding that group clearly preferred her to Yaste or this would not be occurring. I would implicitly trust his experience and judgement, to most casual commentators - amigo.

I should also note that I, like every successful military officer, benefitted from a lot of mentoring during my career.

Also, as of this spring, nearly 150 female soldiers have successfully completed Ranger School.

Here is a pretty good article on the first nurse to make it through.

Based on our public and private convos, I hope you recall I hold you and your opinions in high esteem. My use of "amigo" was not intended sarcastically.

It's no secret that females are held to a different standard of physical fitness than men are. Being the very large bureaucracy that it is, the military is as subject to the top-down stupidity which oozes from leftist politicians, including granting favor to people who check the "correct" checkboxes, as any other federal institution.

When no less than the chairman of the JCs comes out in support of the idea of institutional racism and other such bilge, it gives a great many of us pause, and reasons to distrust the motives of other flag officers. Did our interim lesbian tin can captain actually earn that position? Perhaps she did. But the well has been poisoned, and I'm not drinking from it.

“The well has been poisoned”

The most severe consequences of DEI are that qualified people that fit into the profile now have a permanent stench and peers wondering how they got their position and doubting their qualifications.

So the truly qualified candidate now lives under permanent doubt.

So once again, liberal policies harm the ones they intend to help

@sgt_zim , You are correct that in any large organization, bureaucracy, and so on, bad ideas flow down from the top. In the US military the top leadership or lack thereof are elected civilians and their political appointments such as the Secretary of Defense and assistant secretaries of this and that sub-departments.

Military leadership, those senior Flag officers and their senior enlisted must make the best of bad those bad ideas being forced on them. There is and will always be resistance at all levels to idiots in charge. But mostly that resistance is not made public. In the Marines we had a saying, “Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full (of shxt)”. That means okay, we will carry out that stupid order until you leave the area. Then, officers and/or NCOs had the unpleasant task of ensuring the commander’s orders were carried out.

Everyone, good Americans, and even our foreign friends judge the US military from a 1,000 foot above view. We military in turn, along with most others, judge other public organizations such as our police much the same. Is it fair? Probably not but it is human nature to observe and judge without full knowledge of the situation. Unless you are in the boots on the ground, or the constable on patrol, you do not fully know the situation! Even then, one doesn’t know the political aspects of the strategic environment. That is why a good commander must have a close (working, trusting) relationship with their senior enlisted. A stellar commander or Sergeant Major will gather their intelligence locally, i.e. If you want the real gouge (information, true story) ask a corporal (or patrol cop).

The U.S. military is at times a laboratory for social experiments. I remember when we started random urinalysis, and Don’t ask, don’t tell. The urinalyis kept good Marines good. Don't ask, well there were undoubtedly good Marines who were and stayed "in the closet". Politicians and bureaucrats use the military to force the stupid political, “woke”, flavor of the month ideas in mass. Change is inevitable. Get used to it.

Even good commanders can have a reputation for… CHAOS was at the time Colonel James Mattis’s nickname and I believe call sign. CHAOS is that case meant Colonel has another outstanding idea!

As for the canned ship driver, perhaps, just perhaps, a shipmate was screwing with the Skipper and reversed the scope on the rifle before handing it to the Skipper. The Old Man knowing it was a joke took aim through the backwards scope at the open ocean and touched off a few rounds. That’s what I would have done.

That reminds me of a time long ago… When I was a young corporal our C.O.’s formation was at 08:00 every Friday morning. After formation, a gaggle of Marines from our radar shop were walking back to the shop. Once, when passing a lieutenant or two our group of half a dozen would in unison snap a salute with our left hands to pull the LT’s chain. Most of those officers with less time in service than us NCOs just returned our backwards salutes with their proper right hand knowing we were teasing, but not disrespecting them. But one older LT, who had previously taught school before becoming a Marine officer, snapped a salute with his left hand and said, “Carry on”. He later matured into an outstanding leader! This horseplay was all good because we have a pretty tight unit and every Marine in every shop or sub-unit got the job done. Maybe, that ship driver played along wiht an innocent hoax but the photo snapped was taken way out of context? I think one had to be there...

P.S. I have no comment on the female officer who replaced the aforementioned skipper. The only female boss I had in the Marines was in fact one of my best! Also, reports from Marines and soldiers coming home from the sandbox were that female MRAP gunners were darn wicked! Nothing like a pissed off female "protecting her young" manning a .50 Browning M2.

Last edited:
My guess is he was incompetent - regardless of his political beliefs.

Hard to say, based on nothing more than a photo that apparently shows a lack of common sense. From his bio, I'd say Commander Yaste is no dummy. And is common in the Navy, he served as XO on the destroyer, prior to becoming the CO. The Navy chain of command was apparently satisfied with Yaste's performance as XO to promote him to CO.

@sgt_zim , You are correct that in any large organization, bureaucracy, and so on, bad ideas flow down from the top. In the US military the top leadership or lack thereof are elected civilians and their political appointments such as the Secretary of Defense and assistant secretaries of this and that sub-departments.

Military leadership, those senior Flag officers and their senior enlisted must make the best of bad those bad ideas being forced on them. There is and will always be resistance at all levels to idiots in charge. But mostly that resistance is not made public. In the Marines we had a saying, “Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full (of shxt)”. That means okay, we will carry out that stupid order until you leave the area. Then, officers and/or NCOs had the unpleasant task of ensuring the commander’s orders were carried out.

Everyone, good Americans, and even our foreign friends judge the US military from a 1,000 foot above view. We military in turn, along with most others, judge other public organizations such as our police much the same. Is it fair? Probably not but it is human nature to observe and judge without full knowledge of the situation. Unless you are in the boots on the ground, or the constable on patrol, you do not fully know the situation! Even then, one doesn’t know the political aspects of the strategic environment. That is why a good commander must have a close (working, trusting) relationship with their senior enlisted. A stellar commander or Sergeant Major will gather their intelligence locally, i.e. If you want the real gouge (information, true story) ask a corporal (or patrol cop).

The U.S. military is at times a laboratory for social experiments. I remember when we started random urinalysis, and Don’t ask, don’t tell. The urinalyis kept good Marines good. Don't ask, well there were undoubtedly good Marines who were and stayed "in the closet". Politicians and bureaucrats use the military to force the stupid political, “woke”, flavor of the month ideas in mass. Change is inevitable. Get used to it.

Even good commanders can have a reputation for… CHAOS was at the time Colonel James Mattis’s nickname and I believe call sign. CHAOS is that case meant Colonel has another outstanding idea!

As for the canned ship driver, perhaps, just perhaps, a shipmate was screwing with the Skipper and reversed the scope on the rifle before handing it to the Skipper. The Old Man knowing it was a joke took aim through the backwards scope at the open ocean and touched off a few rounds. That’s what I would have done.

That reminds me of a time long ago… When I was a young corporal our C.O.’s formation was at 08:00 every Friday morning. After formation, a gaggle of Marines from our radar shop were walking back to the shop. Once, when passing a lieutenant or two our group of half a dozen would in unison snap a salute with our left hands to pull the LT’s chain. Most of those officers with less time in service than us NCOs just returned our backwards salutes with their proper right hand knowing we were teasing, but not disrespecting them. But one older LT, who had previously taught school before becoming a Marine officer, snapped a salute with his left hand and said, “Carry on”. He later matured into an outstanding leader! This horseplay was all good because we have a pretty tight unit and every Marine in every shop or sub-unit got the job done. Maybe, that ship driver played along wiht an innocent hoax but the photo snapped was taken way out of context? I think one had to be there...

P.S. I have no comment on the female officer who replaced the aforementioned skipper. The only female boss I had in the Marines was in fact one of my best! Also, reports from Marines and soldiers coming home from the sandbox were that female MRAP gunners were darn wicked! Nothing like a pissed off female "protecting her young" manning a .50 Browning M2.
Bad ideas I can live with. We all make exceptionally stupid decisions at times, look back on them and ask ourselves "WTF is I even thinking there???"

Milley's utterances were so patently absurd that they have to be dishonest - the alternative is that he actually believes that crap. The US military, to its great credit, is perhaps the most color-blind institution we have.

Stupid people, whatever their political stripe, do not become Chairman of the JCs. Even a brand new butter bar would grok the unofficial memo Milley issued at that congressional hearing - play the game. Dishonesty is a cancer, especially where brutal honesty is necessary to conduct warfare. How long before we have our own version of zampolit, I wonder.

I resigned as a Houston police officer in part over what I saw as creeping institutional dishonesty back in 1998. It didn't take a seer to read the writing on the wall. Things have indeed gotten much worse in law enforcement. It's no great leap to believe the same things have been happening in the military over that time span.

Sadly intelligence and leadership are often not intertwined. Some of the most brilliant people I know are among the worst leaders/commanders… and some moderately intelligent people I know are among the best leaders/commanders…

EQ has as much (or more) impact on leadership as IQ…

One of the other challenges the military has until an officer is being considered for flag rank and is being scrutinized in a very different manner is… the system of promotion is in many ways built upon the “Peter Principle”… OER’s and performance is evaluated based on their ability to execute their current and past jobs… with little focus on how well they can execute the next job…

Officers also have to check certain boxes to be considered for promotion.. they need a certain amount of command time, a certain amount of staff time, a certain amount of professional development education, to have obtained their masters at some point (via private university or the war college), etc etc…

So sometimes you end up with a brilliant staff officer sitting in a command billet that he is only marginally good at for a few years… or a brilliant commander that is a train wreck in a staff position for a few years, etc…

That’s not to say the military promotion system isn’t good… in fact I’d say when compared to other countries system, ours is one of the best, and most robust…

But it isn’t perfect… has very clear flaws… and occasionally good people end up in bad positions… bad people end up in good positions.. and on rare occasions you end up with bad people in bad positions…

When that happens, the military has tools for “fixing” the problem… good soldiers/sailors shouldn’t be subject to bad officers… whether it’s the officers fault or the military’s fault for putting the wrong guy in the wrong place… not when lives and national security are at stake…

Of one thing I am certain, neither you or I know anything about her career other than what jobs are listed in her bio. Those are progressively of more demanding responsibility in the surface navy. Most importantly, she successfully commanded the class ship of which she is currently taking temporary command. The Roosevelt Strike Group is in harm's way, and the admiral commanding that group clearly preferred her to Yaste or this would not be occurring. I would implicitly trust his experience and judgement, to most casual commentators - amigo.

I should also note that I, like every successful military officer, benefitted from a lot of mentoring during my career.

Also, as of this spring, nearly 150 female soldiers have successfully completed Ranger School.

Here is a pretty good article on the first nurse to make it through.

Question. Are these female Rangers subject to the same physical standards as their male counterparts, or does the Army still has different standards for males and females? In the Air Force the physical standards are different for males and females.

Of course we are all speculating on the real issue or background. My rushed point was agreeing with you that his loss of command is more than the staged photo, and backwards scope. (Does anyone know the story on why he is not in uniform in the photo?)

Also, incompetence does happen but to be given command of a ship he has surely demonstrated competence. So incompetence is less likely.

So my reasoning is that the odds favor a different backstory than incompetence. More behavioral, I’m guessing.

My guesses given previously were just spitballing other possibilities.

More pure speculation

I’m guessing he is a “Swashbuckler” and has been on the radar.

If he stays in the Navy. We most likely won’t know. But if he is a Swashbuckler and he gets out. He will let us know why he was relieved.

I’m putting my chips on him being too vocal on the purpose of the task force deployment. Or his political commentary.
With what information we have, I could not disagree more with your analysis of this. My assessment from available information and some personal experience in the management and assessment of battalion and brigade-level command, is he is a self-promoting incompetent who failed his ship and his service. Of course, I also believe Marine LTC Scheller, lionized by the many on the right who never commanded a battalion, richly deserved relief as well. If he wanted to become a commentator on the leadership of the armed forces and the government as a whole, he did the correct thing eventually by resigning. I don't know how that is working out for him these days, but I am certain his chain of command is glad to get back to work preparing Marines for combat.

Last edited:
Im still questioning the photo of Commander Yaste. It shows him in civilian attire. But we all assume he was shooting from his ship while at sea.

Ships Commanders or Captains do not wear civies at sea.

Perhaps that is one of the offenses he was guilty of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodAtwell

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]