What scope do you trust? Most rugged, dependable rifle scope?

I was in the Navy, my brother recently retired from the 82nd, one nephew just retired Army SF, another is in the 101st, and yet another is in the 4ID…
We all use Leupold so I guess I’m a little plugged in lol
It’s OK, no worries! Some guys like blondes, some brunettes
I’ve been out for a few years but it was Mark 4’s, as well as some Schmidt’s

I was in the Navy, my brother recently retired from the 82nd, one nephew just retired Army SF, another is in the 101st, and yet another is in the 4ID…
We all use Leupold so I guess I’m a little plugged in lol
It’s OK, no worries! Some guys like blondes, some brunettes

Thank you and thank your family for your service.

Forgive me I'm not certain of the groups you named. Are any of you snipers, DM, AD, SDM, or USMT? I cannot recall one person say 15 years ago that looked through a Leupold and then a S&B then say I chose Leupold.

Again, I'm not saying they fall apart like Legos. I'm saying I have seen to many go down with my own eyes. For that reason I personally don't trust them.

I have looked through the new MK5HD, the glass has improved. I did not like the way the mirage looked through the glass. I'm being picky, I see no reason for them choosing 35mm main tube, .25 mil marks on their reticles. If I did not have the knowledge of them from 20+ years ago. With what I mentioned above would keep me from purchasing them. This is all my personal experience and thoughts, they are worth what you paid for them.

Thank you and thank your family for your service.

Forgive me I'm not certain of the groups you named. Are any of you snipers, DM, AD, SDM, or USMT? I cannot recall one person say 15 years ago that looked through a Leupold and then a S&B then say I chose Leupold.

Again, I'm not saying they fall apart like Legos. I'm saying I have seen to many go down with my own eyes. For that reason I personally don't trust them.

I have looked through the new MK5HD, the glass has improved. I did not like the way the mirage looked through the glass. I'm being picky, I see no reason for them choosing 35mm main tube, .25 mil marks on their reticles. If I did not have the knowledge of them from 20+ years ago. With what I mentioned above would keep me from purchasing them. This is all my personal experience and thoughts, they are worth what you paid for them.
The 82nd and 101st work directly with SOCOM units. My nephew who retired Army SF was not a Sniper but Snipers were in his teams and he operated along side of them.
Chris Kyle’s two favorite scopes and scopes he used were a NF and a Leupold. The Photo that he has in his book with his longest kill has a Leupold on it! He never complained about them that I’ve seen…
Again, I hope we aren’t ruining this thread and personally I’m happy with whatever anyone is happy using so that’s all I’ve got.
Happy Labor Day brother!

The 82nd and 101st work directly with SOCOM units. My nephew who retired Army SF was not a Sniper but Snipers were in his teams and he operated along side of them.
Chris Kyle’s two favorite scopes and scopes he used were a NF and a Leupold. The Photo that he has in his book with his longest kill has a Leupold on it! He never complained about them that I’ve seen…
Again, I hope we aren’t ruining this thread and personally I’m happy with whatever anyone is happy using so that’s all I’ve got.
Happy Labor Day brother!

It's all good brother! We are just two guys having a conversation about the topic at hand. Both of us stated our experiences. That will give people different perspectives. Which is what this is all about.

Happy Labor Day to you too!

I have Nightforce scopes on 4 of my rifles that I need to account for bullet drop over 250 Yards. They work in conjunction with DOPE that is captured in my Zeiss RF Bino’s. Zero stop, dial for elevation, and wind is what works for me for accuracy with distance. Glass is great, rugged built, repeatability, and great customer service.

Others include different variations of Leupold.

Some of you guys must be absolute troglodytes lol…

I’m not particularly kind to my gear… I go places where the weather sucks… I don’t mind getting on the ground and crawling to a shooting position, dragging my rifle along the way, etc etc…

If not flying, I typically travel with my rifles in soft cases and don’t bother with hard cases…

Etc etc…

And I don’t have the slightest worry about breakage with any modern, reasonable quality scope..

As I said in an earlier post, I’m not particularly brand loyal.. most of my safe holds leupold, zeiss, and swaro… but there’s a vortex or two in there and a few other things..

There’s nothing I do.. and nowhere I go where I am concerned with having nightforce/smash with hammer toughness…

Don’t get me wrong… there’s scenarios where that kind of ruggedness is of high value… back in my “sniper” days when I was much more regularly crawling through drainage ditches, dragging my bag over rocks, running through the woods at a full sprint for a few hundred yards, etc etc.. it would have been appreciated…

But, truthfully, the leupold MKIV and the VariXIII that I had in my rifles then survived everything I threw at them… and I’m pretty sure they could have taken more..

I have purchased 2 different Leupold's recently - VX5 HD and VX6 HD as well as a Swarovski Z8i. All have been good scopes depending on what the budget will allow.

KISS principal- 2 1/2 FXII Leupold Ultralight.
Makes sense considering weigh/mass inertia is not your friend for mitigating effects of recoil. Have 2- one on 416 Rem Mag and one on 450 Watts. Additionally this scope has 4.9” eye relief.

You have to understand the circumstances. How hard are you on your gear? Tough environments is one thing, getting bounced around having turrets spun up and down for repeatability is something else.

The first 12 field matches I personally shot, atleast one went down every match (have seen as many as three in one match). The game some of play, we are trying to hit 1/2 MOA targets at distances past 1k yards.

If one of your scope/rifle combo's hold 1-2 moa are you fine with that? I'm sure a good many here are okay with that. Some of us are not, if a match barrel of mine cannot hold 3/8" @100 yards (I know when I'm holding it back and when the rifle is holding me back). The barrel gets replaced. Depending on the round that can be between 1k-2k rounds (6mm-7mm) 308win and 223 live longer generally speaking 2-4X.

inline6, your points are well taken and valid. I live in Wyoming and mostly hunt here. The environment can be pretty tough, both terrain and weather. I mostly hunt from 6000 feet high desert plains and sagebrush up to above timberline during all seasons.
I am a hunter, not a benchrest shooter. So, my standard for accuracy is 1/2 MOA and if any of my rifles cannot produce that or better I get rid of them. I also reload all my own ammunition.
Having had such good luck with Leupold I just can’t see changing at this stage in my life. I also believe in the KISS methodology and thee CDS dual with a fine duplex reticle is pretty simple.
I know there are better scopes but Leupold works for my intended purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakeel

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]