Politics

The Kursk initiative has really demonstrated the incompetence of the Russian Army.

It also seems to show how well Ukraine could do when provided the vital materiel to fight. With each passing day of this total disaster for Russia, it seems that many more years they put themselves behind recovering to the state of there military forces were before they started this war. And that state of readiness was clearly overrated.

You compartmentalize and work from the outside in. If you can’t suppress a tank you pump as much oil out as possible, add water to try to save the bottom ring or two, and then let the remaining fuel burn out. Adjacent tanks may or may not need cooling water depending on design and contents. I would be moving oil away from all adjacent tanks and moving water in as a precaution. You inventory your foam and reserve it for suppression you know can be successful. If you apply 95% of the required foam to a situation you may as well just piss on it. It’s a big job and you’ve got to know what you’re up to. I can’t see any evidence of this activity in the photo.

It would seem that in order to perform these operations that first you had the equipment available, second a plan to execute the op and lastly knowledgeable people to execute the plan. Take away from that any of these critical items and it wouldn't happen. I would not be surprised by the way Russians think that neither of the first two existed and by definition the last.

I don’t know if you remember the fuel tank that burned in the old Denver Stapleton airport in the early nineties. The incident commander contacted me and asked me to send our foam. I agreed with the stipulation that he wait until he had 110% of the requirement before he attacked. If you remember the fire you know he didn’t wait. He may just as well have poured our foam in the ditch.

Based on the photo, my guess is that you are right, this terminal is not equipped with the material, equipment or trained personnel to deal with this.

Last edited:
I can't imagine how to address this sort of conflagration. It has been raging for days now with another storage tank exploding every few hours.

Several decades ago, there was a huge oil well fire. A small company owned the well and they couldn't afford to pay renowned oil well firefighter, Red Adair, for his services. The oil company looked around and found a small town, volunteer fire brigade who was willing to give it a try for a more reasonable amount of money. The well was located at the bottom of a steep hill and the small, four man fire brigade drove down the steep hill at a high rate of speed and actually hit the oil well Christmas tree. Only having two buckets of water and three buckets of sand and a fire blanket, they quickly dumped all the had and the fire went out. It was nothing short of a miracle that none of the firefighters were injured.

The oil company executive ran up to the firefighters and was overjoyed. He asked the fire chief what he planned to do with the large amount of money they were about to receive. The chief calmly said, "well the first thing I'm doing is repairing the brakes on the firetruck".

I don’t know if you remember the fuel tank that burned in the old Denver Stapleton airport in the early nineties. The incident commander contacted me and asked me to send our foam. I agreed with the stipulation that he wait until he had 110% of the requirement before he attacked. If you remember the fire you know he didn’t wait. He may just as well have poured our foam in the ditch.

Based on the photo, my guess is that you are right, this terminal is not equipped with the material, equipment or trained personnel to deal with this.

It seems like the concept of "Risk Management" is not something the Russians give much thought too if at all. If they do, it seems it gets washed aside when they realize it will cost money or threatens political goals.

We've done the same here in the USA at times, the space shuttle Challenger disaster is an example.

Zeihan's thoughts on the Ukrainian incursion into Russia.

@Red Leg,

It seems to me with the losses continuing to mount on the Russian side at a rate that is just crazy high, that (nukes not withstanding) Russia is moving closer and closer to having less than the critical mass required to fight any kind of offensive war and are may have to withdraw from Ukraine as such to even be able to defend it's borders.

Your thoughts?

So now Joe Biden and Kamala Harris think there should be "Queer Nukes?

So, we are to be politically correct and have more people with "foreign connections" in our innermost nuclear development circles? Folks like, let's say, Iran, or even Qatar, where Ms Nair has connections? I thought we already had the Chinese steal enough intellectual property from us...madness

Last edited:
The election is over. :unsure:

From the article:

Trump told the crowd, "You know, they always say, 'Sir, please stick to policy, don't get personal,' but they're getting personal all night, these people…. My advisers are fired."

The people attacking Trump personally are the surrogates, Obamas, Clintons etc., Trump has surrogates as well.
Moreover, Caputo reports, Trump's game plan for the rest of the race is to "stay personal and vicious." And that includes the Trump/Harris debate scheduled for September 10.
On personal attacks, all the voters have to go on is the likability factor. That is not going to sway people that already dislike Trump but would vote for him if they were exposed to the contrast between Trump's and Kamala's policies.

Similar article here:

Telling analysis from the article:
The Obamas headlined the Democratic National Convention Tuesday in Chicago, using their speeches to assail Trump. They mocked the Republican nominee over his obsession with crowd sizes, said his dislike for them is fueled by race and called him a danger to the nation.
Their remarks likely had their intended effect: baiting Trump into focusing his attention on insulting his Democratic opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris. Critics say Trump’s attacks on her have leaned on misogynistic and racist tropes that threaten to alienate voters.

Last edited:
The election is over. :unsure:

meh...

nothing new here...

at this point, who doesnt know where Trump stands on pretty much everything.. or where Harris stands on pretty much everything... they can argue/debate policy until they are blue in the face.. it wont be news or anything enlightening to anyone... and no one will care....

there would be value in pointing out Harris lies and position changes... she CLAIMS she wasnt the border czar... ok.. prove she was... she CLAIMS she isnt against fracking (anymore).. prove where she has openly states she is against it and prove where she and the biden administration have hampered it.. etc..etc..

but what % of the population doesnt already know who these two people are anymore, what they believe in, how they would lead, etc..etc..? and if we assume that % is significant.. if they arent informed by now.. why would we believe they would be anymore informed in the next 2.5 months or even care to be informed?

both candidates, whether by surrogates or by personal action, will continue to attack each others character and/or quirks (Waltz leading the charge on the "weird" thing a couple of weeks ago wasnt a personal attack?)... because thats what gets camera time and headlines in the NY Times and the MSM...

saying yet again for the 200th time that Harris intends on major gun control initiatives or that Trump is going to deport every illegal immigrant.. isnt going to be the leading story at 8 on MSNBC, FOX, CNN, or even Sky News or Al Jazeera.. Saying "Trump and Vance are just weird" or saying Harris cant decide if she is an Indian or Black... sadly.. thats the circus that the American public would rather attend..

@Red Leg,

It seems to me with the losses continuing to mount on the Russian side at a rate that is just crazy high, that (nukes not withstanding) Russia is moving closer and closer to having less than the critical mass required to fight any kind of offensive war and are may have to withdraw from Ukraine as such to even be able to defend it's borders.

Your thoughts?

The nuclear option is concerning. You are correct in that they are getting their behinds handed to them. They can't even get a handle on how many soldiers they've lost because they are quite literally burying them in fields. The fact Ukraine pushed into Kursk likely has Putin fuming.

I think the unspoken "black swan" for the world right now is Putin finally realizes his back is up against the wall and uses a small scale tactical nuke, which they have.

Russia has not faced a large scale defeat in a true modern war. They "lost" the Chechen war only to come back, bomb Grozny to rubble, and engineer a backdoor deal with a warlord to "win." So they won. They got their butts beat in the Afghan war. A lot of people have gotten beat there. Didn't really make sense to nuke a country of mostly mountains and sand.

This one? The world is watching, they have two black eyes. I'd say my 2 fears for the world right now is 1) Russia presses the button and/or 2) Iran/Hezbollah/Hamas wage a true all out war on Israel.

If Russia does go nuclear, I don't see an easy or viable way back from that for the world. And I think that's the only thing stopping him from doing it.

Last edited:
I've always liked and respected H.R. McMaster. Interesting comments.

Meanwhile, this morning Ukraine attacked a large ferry being used by the Russians to move rail fuel tankers across the Kerch strait due to still unrepaired damage to the rail line over the Kerch strait causeway. The results were rather spectacular.

Greta's gonna be pissed when she sees that

1000001365.jpg

Post strike photography of one of the bases hit by Ukrainian drones. To their credit they have been very conservative on all of their aircraft and naval forces claims. This photography is from a commercial satellite that a third party military site uses for this sort of thing. I am not necessarily a BDA expert, but I suspect the losses jhere may have been greater than Ukraine has claimed. The armament revetment is directly behind the hangers and flight line upon and in which a number of SU 24's were parked. An enormous amount of debris and shrapnel would have been tossed about by the secondaries. I suppose it is possible that the burned marks on the parking apron could have been from the five aircraft hastily departing the flight line - but it is more likely as a result of their destruction. The Russian Air Force is acutely aware of the passage time of this particular satellite and would have worked very hard to remove debris. The remains of one aircraft is clearly visible within one of the destroyed hangers.

@Red Leg,

Your thoughts?
I think it is quite likely that Russia has suffered half a million casualties and a quarter of a million dead in this war. Their prewar army and its equipment are essentially extinct. I do not think this speaks well of their society to say I do not know of another currently, to include China, that could sustain this level of per capita casualties and not suffer a popular political revolt or worse.

Russia has tapped heavily into one major resource which is the population outside the traditional Duchy of Moscow. Rather like Great Britain during the Victorian age, which could fight its wars with colonial soldiers from India officered by British professionals. Unlike Great Britain, Russia has tried to do this after its regular forces were decisively defeated during the first six-months of the war.

Now Putin has a reinforced division equivalent occupying almost 1500 square kilometers of Kursk and threatening the whole supply effort into the Eastern battle zone. The strike against the rail car ferry at Kersch simply further complicates that challenge.

To date, Putin seems more focused on the blame game for Kursk and in trying to denude other commands of personnel to form ad hoc units to try and regain Kursk. Most of a "battalion" of aerospace forces were butchered a couple of days ago as they were approaching the Kursk zone of combat.

What he has not done - and I am coming to believe he can not do - is create new units from the youth of the Empire's center around Moscow and St. Petersburg. It seems mobilization of these human assets was off the table from the start.

The continued costly offensive effort in the Donbas would seem to reflect a political demand Putin has made of his generals. Perhaps he believes its complete seizure is a necessary prelude to negotiations or that it would result in the collapse of Ukrainian will to resist. I see no evidence of the latter, but who knows what he is led to believe through his information filters.

But like you, there is a demographic clock ticking in blood every second. 1917 proved the field army could determine when it had ticked enough long before the powers in St. Petersburg knew time was up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoesphWargo

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!