Politics

The Kursk initiative has really demonstrated the incompetence of the Russian Army.

It also seems to show how well Ukraine could do when provided the vital materiel to fight. With each passing day of this total disaster for Russia, it seems that many more years they put themselves behind recovering to the state of there military forces were before they started this war. And that state of readiness was clearly overrated.

You compartmentalize and work from the outside in. If you can’t suppress a tank you pump as much oil out as possible, add water to try to save the bottom ring or two, and then let the remaining fuel burn out. Adjacent tanks may or may not need cooling water depending on design and contents. I would be moving oil away from all adjacent tanks and moving water in as a precaution. You inventory your foam and reserve it for suppression you know can be successful. If you apply 95% of the required foam to a situation you may as well just piss on it. It’s a big job and you’ve got to know what you’re up to. I can’t see any evidence of this activity in the photo.

It would seem that in order to perform these operations that first you had the equipment available, second a plan to execute the op and lastly knowledgeable people to execute the plan. Take away from that any of these critical items and it wouldn't happen. I would not be surprised by the way Russians think that neither of the first two existed and by definition the last.

I don’t know if you remember the fuel tank that burned in the old Denver Stapleton airport in the early nineties. The incident commander contacted me and asked me to send our foam. I agreed with the stipulation that he wait until he had 110% of the requirement before he attacked. If you remember the fire you know he didn’t wait. He may just as well have poured our foam in the ditch.

Based on the photo, my guess is that you are right, this terminal is not equipped with the material, equipment or trained personnel to deal with this.

Last edited:
I can't imagine how to address this sort of conflagration. It has been raging for days now with another storage tank exploding every few hours.

Several decades ago, there was a huge oil well fire. A small company owned the well and they couldn't afford to pay renowned oil well firefighter, Red Adair, for his services. The oil company looked around and found a small town, volunteer fire brigade who was willing to give it a try for a more reasonable amount of money. The well was located at the bottom of a steep hill and the small, four man fire brigade drove down the steep hill at a high rate of speed and actually hit the oil well Christmas tree. Only having two buckets of water and three buckets of sand and a fire blanket, they quickly dumped all the had and the fire went out. It was nothing short of a miracle that none of the firefighters were injured.

The oil company executive ran up to the firefighters and was overjoyed. He asked the fire chief what he planned to do with the large amount of money they were about to receive. The chief calmly said, "well the first thing I'm doing is repairing the brakes on the firetruck".

I don’t know if you remember the fuel tank that burned in the old Denver Stapleton airport in the early nineties. The incident commander contacted me and asked me to send our foam. I agreed with the stipulation that he wait until he had 110% of the requirement before he attacked. If you remember the fire you know he didn’t wait. He may just as well have poured our foam in the ditch.

Based on the photo, my guess is that you are right, this terminal is not equipped with the material, equipment or trained personnel to deal with this.

It seems like the concept of "Risk Management" is not something the Russians give much thought too if at all. If they do, it seems it gets washed aside when they realize it will cost money or threatens political goals.

We've done the same here in the USA at times, the space shuttle Challenger disaster is an example.

Zeihan's thoughts on the Ukrainian incursion into Russia.

@Red Leg,

It seems to me with the losses continuing to mount on the Russian side at a rate that is just crazy high, that (nukes not withstanding) Russia is moving closer and closer to having less than the critical mass required to fight any kind of offensive war and are may have to withdraw from Ukraine as such to even be able to defend it's borders.

Your thoughts?

So now Joe Biden and Kamala Harris think there should be "Queer Nukes?

So, we are to be politically correct and have more people with "foreign connections" in our innermost nuclear development circles? Folks like, let's say, Iran, or even Qatar, where Ms Nair has connections? I thought we already had the Chinese steal enough intellectual property from us...madness

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WildaDambr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!