Politics

Another update from Ukraine - or Russia, I should more properly say. After attempting to drop it with a HIMARS rocket strike (four rockets), the Ukrainians rather decisively took out the Glushkovsky Bridge over the Seym River in Kursk. This is a significant river barrier and will make it very difficult, perhaps impossible for the Russian Army to maintain forces south of it. It is the first clear indication that I have seen, that the UA intends to potentially hold this territory for some period of time.

View attachment 626897

Secondly, it looks like it was taken out by a aircraft delivered JDAM. The clip below shows the the damage caused by the earlier HIMARS strike (they aren't really intended for dropping bridges, but bloody accurate aren't they), and then the typically precise hit by the JDAM. Interesting point about the JDAM is that a UA fighter bomber was able to successfully operate at altitude at the Russian border.

From a purely military perspective, this whole incursion, however successful, would be deemed inconsequential. But wars are as much about political consequence as military ones.

If I was Ukraine, I'd take and hold as much territory in Russia as possible, then wait for Russia to sue for peace. In the end, Ukraine gets back its territories in a swap.

@Red Leg is that your read of the incursion strategy as well?

Can anyone explain to me why Russia is allowed to possess Koenigsberg? (Kaliningrad)

I heard 3-4 months ago that their over land supplies were being restricted and could easily be cut off. It's the strategic naval yards for the Russians, its isolated 1000 miles West of Moscow. It borders Poland and Lithuania, and without it the Russian fleet cannot have sustainable presence in the Baltic and North Seas.

It just seems a logical piece of dirt to deny the Russians, truly crippling their naval capabilities against NATO.

Obviously this would be an escalation since it doesn't border Ukraine, but wouldn't that be the target to seize to cut off Belarus supplying much of Russia's Navy?

Yes, in an exchange with the West, the damage to the West would be enormous. But that done to Russia would be existential. Putin and Xi, let's not leave him out, fully realize this.

Especially if the Russian nuclear arsenal, as well as the troops operating them is of the same caliber as what has been thrown into the Ukraine meat grinder up until now. It might be a lot of paper strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timot6429

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!