Politics

Life starts at conception. What about surrogacy? What about the buying and selling of eggs or sperm? I’m sorry but it’s not ethical or moral in the least. I know it’s worked well for some good people but what sounds amazing and compassionate in theory or at first glance is often not the right thing to do when you look at the bigger picture and the potential for abuse.
It is definitely ethical per medical practices, and as far as morality goes that is always relative to the person/society/culture. If you feel it is immoral then you do not have to partake in the practice.

Also, IVF has been around a long time now. Plenty of people have looked at the big picture and approve of it.

Heck, I'd submit more people in the country think it is unethical and immoral to shoot elephants than having kids by IVF. :unsure:

Last edited:
It is definitely ethical per medical practices, and as far as morality goes that is always relative to the person/society/culture. If you feel it is immoral then you do not have to partake in the practice.

Heck, I'd submit more people in the country think it is unethical and immoral to shoot elephants than having kids by IVF. :unsure:
If you view an embryo as a human life then IVF can not be ethical as the discarding of them would violate the do no harm principle. I don’t have to participate in euthanasia either in order to condemn it.

I would imagine you’re right. They are wrong nonetheless.

Just as Trump picked steady, Boring Pence to calm the traditionals.
Kamala will need a stable, boring white male to settle everyone.

If you view an embryo as a human life then IVF can not be ethical as the discarding of them would violate the do no harm principle. ...
Under what scientific premise would they be considered a human life? No heartbeat, no organ development, just bunch of cells in a petri dish.

Also, if you had read the post by @LivingTheDream carefully I think you'd realize that those discarded would have never come to term if implanted for reasons he outlined.

Just as Trump picked steady, Boring Pence to calm the traditionals.
Kamala will need a stable, boring white male to settle everyone.
Thanks for the heads up, I won’t be answering my phone for the next few days or weeks, unless I recognize the number.

Also, IVF has been around a long time now. Plenty of people have looked at the big picture and approve of it.

With due respect, the scientific/medical community has considered a great many things ethical down through the years that just were abhorrent - forced sterilization, lobectomies, etc. Jonas Salk's first couple stabs at his polio vaccine ended up giving something like 50K people polio.

Medically/scientifically, almost nothing that came out of the early progressive era in the early 20th century is considered anywhere near ethical today, everything except abortion, that is. Curious that's still hanging around.

Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy for a reason.

Last edited:
Geez......some of you guys seem to have already handed Kamala the presidency.
It's hard for me to imagine that the whore - and let's not pretend she's anything other than that in the most literal sense - is going to turn out the votes, no matter what her message is. The dems who turn out to vote are for the most part just going to be votes against Trump.

So here is the nuance to this issue. There are viable embryos and there are non-viable embryos.

In basic terms nothing really matters till day 5. Day 1 they tell you how many eggs they got and many fertilizer, then Day 3 update on how many are growing. Day 5 is how many are an embryo. At this point they do genetic testing and freezing. Almost all IVF places prefer or almost exclusive doing Frozen so they can genetically test.

Genetically testing is essentially telling you whether the embryo is viable or not. If it doesn't have enough chromosomes it is not viable and will result in failed transfer or a miscarriage. Now if you have non-viable embryos you can either keep them frozen at a couple hundred dollars a year, or discard them, or donate them to science. Most embryos are 50/50 viable to non-viable. I hope we agree on the term Non-viable. The testing does provide some information regarding genetic diseases as well but you will know that mostly beforehand due to blood work. But essentially this is why IVF has to be able to discard embryos there is no way to guarantee you will get a viable one.

The doctors I talked to will not transfer more than 1 viable embryos at a time. The information is a bit dated with transferring 2 or more, as that was done with fresh transfers in older woman due to egg quality. Given the pain and suffering most go through to get the pregnancy stage, I cant imagine abortions being performed. I will caveat this, with I am sure it happens, people can be horrible.

I would also point out most IVFs are done because of a medical reason. Such as reoccurring miscarriages or ectopic pregrancies. To get to a egg retrieval a woman has to give herself anywhere between 30 and 60 shots in the stomach. Then the retrieval and then another 30 to 60 shots for transfer. Then you pray.

I have heard people say you should have to implant the non-viable embryos, which is the equivalent of wishing someone to have a miscarriage.

I have also had people say that it is up to God if you get pregnant and should have a baby. Which to means I guess we shouldn't see doctors for medical answers.

The only personal thing I will add is that we still have our non-viable embryos, I am not ready to let them go.

I dont want to this to be a case of what-aboutism. John/Kate plus8 didn't follow medical procedures and had sex after she got her final shot. I'm guessing octomom did something similar. But to point out a few bad actors (think poaching, gun murders, etc) amongst an otherwise ethical practice is a flawed argument.

And to answer the question no one asked, but life ends when the heart stops. Life starts at the heartbeat.

Anyways not sure if they helps or not, but at least it is another data point.

So what happens to the unused viable embryos? There have to be some right? You said they fertilize multiple eggs at one time and on day 5 report how many are embryos. A woman only wants 2 kids but produces 5 viable embryos. Do they just test one at a time and if viable implant it or do they test all at once?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
istonecare

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's