Politics

Well developed piece on Crimea's growing vulnerability by Tom Sharpe in the Telegraph. Hopefully not behind a paywall.

Since Biden recently announced only allowing use of US munitions to be used inside Russia up north near Kharkiv, is Crimea considered Ukrainian territory and unaffected by Biden’s new decision?

Since Biden recently announced only allowing use of US munitions to be used inside Russia up north near Kharkiv, is Crimea considered Ukrainian territory and unaffected by Biden’s new decision?
Crimea has been a free fire zone for quite a while.

@Red Leg Ya, that's even worse than the 19 wars America has been involved in since WW2. Killing 5.5 million in Indo-China/Viet Nam, 3.5 million in Korea, and 4 million in the Middle East. To name just 3. America apparently has the right and obligation to export brutality in the name of democracy. It sickens me .........FWB

Don't know if this has been mentioned as wifi bit slow to try catch up...and what is going to be the outcome?....

Image1718193018.041851.jpg

And thank the Lord for that, finally.

Don't know if this has been mentioned as wifi bit slow to try catch up...and what is going to be the outcome?....

No one has talked about it, but it’s real bad news. It the start of end of the dollar as the reserve currency.

This has been “writing on the wall” if I have the expression correctly for a few years already. It is also the single biggest threat to global peace. A multipolar world is too inviting for one power to try to get the upper hand.

Edit: and to add, I’m sorry to say so, and it might ruffle some feathers here, but this is entirely to blame on the US itself. The nail in the coffin being the exclusion of Russia from the swift system. That was a bit too much stick instead of the usual carrot and stick.

When the dollar loses reserve status it is going to very bad indeed.
I’m no expert but I’ll parrot some I’ve heard, that’s not happening for a long long time as it’s still the large majority currency invested and used. By FAR the best house in a shitty neighborhood.

What’s kind of interesting is how fast the rise of digital / crypto money happens and becomes more mainstream bypassing all fiat currencies.

I’m no expert but I’ll parrot some I’ve heard, that’s not happening for a long long time as it’s still the large majority currency invested and used. By FAR the best house in a shitty neighborhood.

What’s kind of interesting is how fast the rise of digital / crypto money happens and becomes more mainstream bypassing all fiat currencies.
So, the trend is to get away from currency that is "backed" by an actual, physical, country, to go with a "currency" that "exists" in the virtual world, backed by???
Not disagreeing with you, just really don't understand how truly nonexistent "currency" can have any real value, yet seems to be accepted by a growing segment of the population. Even my local county government will now take payment in bitcoin.

This has been “writing on the wall” if I have the expression correctly for a few years already. It is also the single biggest threat to global peace. A multipolar world is too inviting for one power to try to get the upper hand.

Edit: and to add, I’m sorry to say so, and it might ruffle some feathers here, but this is entirely to blame on the US itself. The nail in the coffin being the exclusion of Russia from the swift system. That was a bit too much stick instead of the usual carrot and stick.
Yippie !

Meanwhile Brandon apologizes because he was late in sending billions more to a corrupt non-democracy. He’s also playing tough guy by rattling US nuke sabres. While continuing to pander to Dearbornistan for votes. While open border for votes and electoral weight. While drinks all around in the military industrial complex as Ukraine blows up a half dozen more Russian tanks at a cost of tens of millions per tank. While Russia is prepared to match such tactical pressure for the foreseeable future. That is exactly the mis-calculation made by pointing out Russian war losses of the past. My take away from those losses is that we are not dealing with a logical enemy based in “Western thinking” Basing military strategy for an enemy based on looking in a mirror is seriously flawed when the enemy is not like us.

Last edited:
Yippie !

Meanwhile Brandon apologizes because he was late in sending billions more to a corrupt non-democracy. He’s also playing tough guy by rattling US nuke sabres. While continuing to pander to Dearbornistan for votes. While open border for votes and electoral weight. While drinks all around in the military industrial complex as Ukraine blows up a half dozen more Russian tanks at a cost of tens of millions per tank. While Russia is prepared to match such tactical pressure for the foreseeable future. That is exactly the mis-calculation made by pointing out Russian war losses of the past. My take away from those losses is that we are not dealing with a logical enemy based in “Western thinking” Basing military strategy for an enemy based on looking in a mirror is seriously flawed when the enemy is not like us.
How would you suggest that we counter such an enemy?

How would you suggest that we counter such an enemy?

With strength when it was needed.
- standing against Russia’s initial invasion of Ukraine in Crimea, thanks Obama,
- making strong statements opposing an invasion of Ukraine as opposed to the ‘minor incursion’ statements,
- a strong and well considered withdrawal from Afghanistan that protected both our citizens and our friends,

Instead he has demonstrated confusion, incompetence and weakness at every turn. This in turn emboldened Russia and China, creating an environment where he now truly could get us into a major war.

I’m sorry Saul, I like and respect you, but I think you are blind to how dangerous this man’s incompetence is to our nation

With strength when it was needed.
- standing against Russia’s initial invasion of Ukraine in Crimea, thanks Obama,
- making strong statements opposing an invasion of Ukraine as opposed to the ‘minor incursion’ statements,
- a strong and well considered withdrawal from Afghanistan that protected both our citizens and our friends,

Instead he has demonstrated confusion, incompetence and weakness at every turn. This in turn emboldened Russia and China, creating an environment where he now truly could get us into a major war.

I’m sorry Saul, I like and respect you, but I think you are blind to how dangerous this man’s incompetence is to our nation
I actually agree with everything you said.

I would also add that Trump’s relentless attacks on NATO certainly did not help.

Yippie !

You are exactly correct. We are dealing with a brutal culture led by a KGB thug intent on snuffing out the aspirations of a nation that has been independent for thirty years - a nation proving every single day they are far better than those who criticize their patriotism. All they ask of the West is the means to fight this brutal mafia posing as a developed nation.. Fortunately, a majority, however slim, still value our ideals of liberty more than those of appeasement.

I know it is uncomfortable for Russia’s apologists and actual allies, but Ukraine is slowly winning this war In spite of the the Biden administration’s bungling caution, and the out and out hostility of the Freedom for Me but not for Thee Caucus.

You are exactly correct. We are dealing with a brutal culture led by a KGB thug intent on snuffing out the aspirations of a nation that has been independent for thirty years - a nation proving every single day they are far better than those who criticize their patriotism. All they ask of the West is the means to fight this brutal mafia posing as a developed nation.. Fortunately, a majority, however slim, still value our ideals of liberty more than those of appeasement.

I know it is uncomfortable for Russia’s apologists and actual allies, but Ukraine is slowly winning this war In spite of the the Biden administration’s bungling caution, and the out and out hostility of the Freedom for Me but not for Thee Caucus.
So exactly how much of my money are you willing to spend to defend Ukraine's independence while ignoring the forfeiture of ours? Is there a limit?

So exactly how much of my money are you willing to spend to defend Ukraine's independence while ignoring the forfeiture of ours? Is there a limit?
Allow me to be blunt. I truly believe that is a naive strawman of the type so popular with those who seem so loyal to Trump. It is one of the several reasons I am having trouble coming to grips with supporting him.

Allow me to ask how much are you willing to not spend to secure a critical national interest? I personally have zero doubts, based on a lot of actual experience, that the recreation of a powerful militaristic Russian state threatening Western Europe and our economic and military stability is actually a meaningfully greater threat than the illegals currently crossing our border or whatever else you may mean by "forfeiture" of our independence.

Assuming the border is part of your concern, it is a ridiculous notion that the US should deal with one or the other. It is an absolute false dichotomy that shouldn't fool a junior high student of Western Civilization (should we even teach that any longer). Whatever you think the threat is posed by desperate people, most of whom are coming here to work, an alliance formed between a powerful China and a resurgent Russian Empire is far more dangerous to our national well being.

It is ludicrous that a nation with a THREE TRILLION dollar budget can't find the resources to deal with both. It is even more ludicrous to make either hostage to the other for political reasons - by either party.

If your "forfeiture" of independence assertion is a political fear, then vote. It isn't a budget issue at all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonGlass

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex