Small gifts for PH and tracker

I took an I pad, perfume, hunting knife, chocolates, among other things. Plus cash of course
Screenshot_20240627_184312_Gallery.jpg

I 100% agree with this. In the past I've gifted tire company promotional swag type stuff. Hats, shirts etc.
Now however, I fill my luggage with Military Surplus shirts, jackets, and pants purchased new from Sportsmans Guide and Midway. The quality is good, the styling is hunting ready, and you can fill an entire suitcase bursting full for $200/$300 tops. It seems that the US fleece jackets are highly prized. I wear the surplus clothing for the hunt, gift all the clothing, and return home with underwear and shoes.
This of course does take take the place of genuine cash tips.
I'm sure some Canadian won't like it but it works for me and the trackers/staff.

I'll wager that you are a sight on the plane wearing only underwear and shoes.

I always ask the PH/Outfitter if there is anything I can bring from here in the states that they need and are having a hard time getting over there. I have brought over everything from havalon blades and trail cameras to Dawn dish soap.

Going into Canada I’ve been asked to bring a particular brand of whiskey and chewing tobacco/snuff. The outfitter offered to pay me for it but I just gave it as a gift.

Obviously this doesn’t take the place of actual monetary tips at the end of the safari.

As far as tipping everybody individually or as a group, I defer to the outfitters request on how they want that situation handled with their staff. I’ve done it both ways depending on how I was asked to do it. Everybody seemed happy in either situation.

Of course I gave my tips at the end, but I took a bunch of Cabela's Mini tools (like the leatherman tool) and handed them out during the week to whomever helped me.

Headlamps and leatherman are good. Something really easy is to stop in the duty free and buy a bottle of bulleit bourbon for the PH and a carton of smokes to pass out to trackers. Doesn’t fill up your suitcase and the airlines hand it to you when you land.

I’m not sure why these threads draw some negative responses.

Everyone likes a gift.

I’ve taken everything from rice crispy treats to trail cameras.

I recently met an outfitter at SCI that my dad had hunted with in 2001. I Introduced myself and asked if they remembered my dad. The wife reached in her pocket and pulled out a knife my dad had given her all those years ago.

Flashlights and knives are always cool. Next time I go to Zim I’m taking a ton of fishing stuff. They like to fish and the selections of lures is limited and expensive.

Everyone likes a gift.

I recently met an outfitter at SCI that my dad had hunted with in 2001. I Introduced myself and asked if they remembered my dad. The wife reached in her pocket and pulled out a knife my dad had given her all those years ago.

Flashlights and knives are always cool. Next time I go to Zim I’m taking a ton of fishing stuff. They like to fish and the selections of lures is limited and expensive.
I think these threads draw negative responses because too many go overboard with the idea of gifts instead of giving the extra equivalent in cash, especially to the staff and trackers. I’ve seen too many trackers that use the same old knife sharpened on rocks and don’t have binoculars when I know multiple of both have been given to them over the years. There is only one explanation why they don’t have. For the PHs they generally want to use their knife and their leatherman getting a new one every month or so isn’t really a benefit especially when not exactly what they want and also when leatherman has a lifetime guarantee. I’ve brought lots of items over when asked by PH such trail cameras, electronics, binoculars, fishing gear but I asked first or they asked me. I’ve also left certain items like a camel back or shoes when the PH told me it would be appreciated and used by the tracker. Something consumable like a bottle of whiskey for the PH or hats for the staff will probably make good gifts, but many gifts ideas just take up space or get sold. I also don’t think many realize until they’ve been there how well stocked South African and Namibian stores are. Most PHs hunting hunting Southern Africa will spend time in South Africa each year or the US and can buy what they want. Giving gifts is nice, but I think cash is better in most cases.

I checked with the outfitter/PH in advance about tips for the trackers and skinners. On our hunt, they were one and the same. I gave both a cash tip plus a knife and a small multitool. PH said it was hard for the trackers to get good knives. While not expensive, the Cold Steel knives I gave will hold an edge.

I picked up a bunch of these at Bass Pro Shops for cheap.

red_101464211_main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally bring a couple extra knives or something for the trackers/skinners. I’ll leave hats/shirts, sometimes pack a few yeti tumblers or something. I always bring a couple big bags or American Jerkey, Slim Jim’s, Reese’s Cups, and other Candy. The Candy is ALWAYS a hit especially the Reece’s Cups. Other things to bring that are worth way more to them old smart phones or iPads. This is ALWAYS in addition to a cash tip. Some PH’s will convert the cash, others won’t. Your PH/Outfitter will tell you their preference for the camp staff.

Outside of RSA, Lithium Batteries are VERY expensive. If you’re doing any sort of baited hunt bring as many as you can. I’ve had multiple PH’s ask about SD Card Readers, and SD Card Trail Cameras. I’ve thrown a handful of trail camera in my bag on more than 1/2 my safaris. If your PH is big on fishing, sometimes they’ll ask about certain rods they can’t get there. Most of the 2pc rods fit nicely in a hard pelican case.

Everyone likes a gift.

+1 on Fishing Stuff. My Zim outfitter asked me to bring several specific fishing rods. He said they were good on lures and tackle but each area is different.

Gifts are Gifts and are not a replacement for cash. In Zim I put my tips in an envelope with each persons name on the envelope and then hand that to them personally. The family then handed out gifts to each person. In Moz the Lodge staff tip was handed to the owner and the PH let the staff know how much was in her hands and that should would be making the distribution. The trackers we handed the cash to them directly.

Just going by what my PHs are telling me. My African hunting buddy here formerly owned a hunting/fishing lodge in the far north. He said the same thing: don't give the Native guides cash or they won't show up to work for a couple of days ... at least. Lodge owner gives them the tips at the end of the season. I'm sure there are individual exceptions. Problem is one exceptional guide/tracker gets cash in hand, then they all think they should have it. The tracker on my first trip pulled a disappearing act second day and we had to go into the village to dig him up. He was loopy. We were hours late getting after kudu and you know how important it is to be looking for them at first light. The guy's shoes were rags. I had an extra pair of boots I could give him but PH said NO. He'd just sell them and drink up the money. Happened before.

I see many operators' websites where they advise against giving cash tips directly to trackers, especially US currency. Of course, PH's cash tip is always US dollars and handed directly to him. That is standard.

You have spewed so much BS in this one post it is actually astounding.

End of the hunt we call the trackers, skinners and other staff (actual real professionals at their jobs, not just a farmhand that goes drinking) together and the clients tip them in SA Rand. They appreciate it enormously and there is no chance the oufitter/ ph can keep money from them.

I have just returned from three weeks hunting back to back with two groups of American clients. The staff all received good tips from the clients after the first group was done, and worked extremely hard with the next group, knowing there was incentive to perform.

Making blanket statements about “Native staff” speaks words about your lack of insight about the continent and the hunting industry. Those men and women are the unsung heroes of the hunt, feeding you, keeping the lodge clean, finding animals and caping trophies until late at night when the client enjoys dinner and a drink.

As @Mark A Ouellette mentioned in another thread. When it comes to men, judge them one at a time.

You have spewed so much BS in this one post it is actually astounding.

End of the hunt we call the trackers, skinners and other staff (actual real professionals at their jobs, not just a farmhand that goes drinking) together and the clients tip them in SA Rand. They appreciate it enormously and there is no chance the oufitter/ ph can keep money from them.

I have just returned from three weeks hunting back to back with two groups of American clients. The staff all received good tips from the clients after the first group was done, and worked extremely hard with the next group, knowing there was incentive to perform.

Making blanket statements about “Native staff” speaks words about your lack of insight about the continent and the hunting industry. Those men and women are the unsung heroes of the hunt, feeding you, keeping the lodge clean, finding animals and caping trophies until late at night when the client enjoys dinner and a drink.

As @Mark A Ouellette mentioned in another thread. When it comes to men, judge them one at a time.
Can’t fault a thing you’ve said Dewald.
No safari or the luxury of African hunting can happen without them.

A guided Alaskan hunt is twice the price of a good plains game safari, but you live in a tent, no daily laundry, no clean land cruiser, no firewood collected, no fireplace cleaned, no cold beer, biltong or crackling fire waiting in the evening and you get to get to dine on the finest freeze dried food, cooked on a gas stove.

And let’s not forget how many of those “natives” have paid the ultimate price, so the out of breath, pasty bwana from across the ocean doesn’t get trampled, mauled or sent to his/her ancestors.

And let’s not forget how many of those “natives” have paid the ultimate price, so the out of breath, pasty bwana from across the ocean doesn’t get trampled, mauled or sent to his/her ancestors.

I always ask if they or their wives would like anything from the states that is not readily available. I have taken a whole suitcase of riding jeans for a wife, havalon blades, trail cameras, hats, tee shirts, and all kinds of other odd request - even some Ford f-250 truck parts! It is always nice to take something they ask for and they always ask how much it was for reimbursement. I always just say that it is on the house and I never let it affect the amount I set aside for tips. This, to me, has always been a nice way to start out - everyone likes a gift - especially wives and kids. I get as much joy out of it as they do I am sure.

Do y'all recommend switching to local currency or is usd ok for tips? Is it a hassle for say the tracker to convert to his money and not get screwed?
USD is good. I always bring small bills for everyone but the PH. The reason is that they are easier to convert and/or use that fiftys or hundreds

This year I took a group of combat veterans, and took some hats with our nonprofits logos. I asked the PH and owner later how often they get this type of stuff....often. Given the number of knife and leathermen responses, that probably ranks up their with hats. Best advice I've seen hear is to ask first. Other than maybe smokes as I've yet to meet a South African man, white or black, that doesn't smoke. With that said I brought a box of cigars in 2022, broke them out after shooting my Buff. None of those 2-pack a day guys could finish a good Cuban! It was sort of funny!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velva37941

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.