Politics

288552431_590674652420790_5072701352678721602_n.jpg

Reference many of these arguments on current politics: most entertaining to me watching the Never Trumpers/Closet Democrats/Biden apologists in full stealth mode all attempting to dance on the head of a pin while flying through the eye of a needle using debate logic akin to a Mobius loop. :)

With all do respect I believe that is absolute bullshit and it is infuriating to hear it promulgated by so many on the right.

I respect that this is personal for you and your defensiveness is somewhat understandable given your experience and background. Most of us do not have the luxury of your experience, and we do have to rely on sifting through the internet and the various media outlets for this information.

That being said, this Administration is doing a very poor job of messaging the actual use and distribution of the money being allocated to Ukraine. Maybe if someone in the Administration or the DOD would explain how weapons are being distributed against an existing defense budget as you pointed out, the ideology would be better received by the American public. But they are not... In fact quite the opposite is being disseminated from all media outlets left, right, and center..

The fact that many of us have seemingly lost all trust in our government shouldn't be inferred upon them or their leadership.

Really? I think it's completely fair to ask questions of this or any other Administration in power of why we are spending billions on a country with which we have no official alliance or obligation to defend. It has nothing to do with the lack of Americans wanting to support the people of Ukraine.. It has to do with priorities and the fact that we are already underwater with an ever-growing number of crises' in our own country and half the population is genuinely struggling as a direct result of terrible policies from a government that has squandered American confidence long ago with it's lies and terrible policies across the board.

The Ukraine war and how it is being justified by this Administration may indeed be a victim of the times and the current political situation here in the USA. But, that doesn't dismiss the fact that there are many questions that deserve answers to justify American support.

I simply believe it is in our national interests to prevent Russian reemergence as a dominant factor in Eastern Europe.

Once again, I understand and agree with this generalization. However, it's not naiveté or a conspiracy theory for us to ask for specific examples of how this is more important right now than the dozens of other domestic shit storms we are already dealing with here at home. In regard to our Ukraine involvement, I have yet to hear any specific reasons, long-term strategies, or goals laid out by anyone in this Administration, or the pundits for that matter.

When hard working people see the US southern border overrun with impunity, fuel & food prices soaring, unaffordable rent and house prices, the stock market in a mass sell-off in reaction to rising interest rates, etc., it's very difficult to get them onboard with sending billions overseas to a war not of our making especially with no specific plan, and the Afghan debacle still smoldering.. Even if it's as you say and cash isn't being sent over in suitcases like Obama did with Iran, it's a hard sell to most Americans given what we have on our plates already..

Meanwhile Brandon continues to play his fiddle and only takes a break to spend more printed money and proudly proclaims that another 40 billion of it is going to Ukraine and you don't understand why taxpayers are asking questions as to how or why the money is being spent? I'm kinda surprised you don't get that?

Bleeding Russia is a worthy goal. Russia has always been a malign actor and our enemy, whether we like to admit it or not. I‘m not saying that Ukraine is a noble party….I simply don’t know enough about their system to say. One thing for sure, Ukraine didn’t invade Russia. Funding the Ukrainian side has been a damned good investment so far. They’ve inflicted serious damage to the vaunted Russian army, in losses of men and equipment, as well as damage to their image the world over. Keep pouring it to ‘em!

Do we have too many problems of our own to be involved? I think we are fully capable of addressing our domestic issues and helping Ukraine. We can, in fact, walk and chew gum at the same time.

When a hobo told Andy he should just let Opie "decide for himself" how he wanted to live… Andy had these words of wisdom.
"No, I'm afraid it don't work that way. You can't let a young’n decide for himself. He'll grab at the first flashy thing with shiny ribbons on it. Then, when he finds out there's a hook in it, it's too late. Wrong ideas come packaged with so much glitter that it's hard to convince ‘em that other things might be better in the long run. All a parent can do is say 'wait' and 'trust me' and try to keep temptation away."
Somehow... we have lost this basic truth. Too many people are more worried about being their child’s friend, than in being a parent.
9A1D9C8C-4E3C-46A4-AAAF-5F0FCB102269.jpeg

As I have said multiple times. I have the utmost sympathy for the Ukrainian people. Ordinary Ukrainians don't deserve what they are going through. At some level, the Ukrainian people are responsible for their leadership. They have had over 30 years to get things figured out. Virtually all of those years they have had corrupt leadership where money was funneled for favors and oligarchs grew rich for political favors. Zelenskyy said he would crack down on the oligarchs. He did crack down on the oligarchs that didn't support him like Medvedchuck, but did nothing to the oligarchs that supported him like Kolomosky. Political patronage is taking place in Ukraine today, just as it has over the past 30 years, just as it is in America.

I am sure there are many good Americans, doing the best job they can to make sure the money is used right. I am truly thankful for that.

That being said, when was the last time the DOD had an unqualified audit. When was the last time the US intelligence agencies had an unqualified audit. America can't account for it's own money, going to it's own ministry's, much less money it throws at other countries.

If memory serves me correct, the week delay on the 40b was due to Rand Paul wanting additional oversite measures that were never fully met. Only partially as I recall.

Most of the aid according to this CBS article doesn't even deal with weapons deployment. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rand-paul-ukraine-aid-senate-unanimous-consent/

I agree that $53-60b is a relatively small amount when compared to $30t debt not counting unfunded liabilities. At this point every American's share of national debt is $100,000. Half of Americans don't pay taxes, so tax payers liability is actually $200,000. Tax payers can't pay this amount. That is why we are dealing with 8% inflation. Our currency is being debased. Our currency has lost 95% of it's purchasing power in the past 100 years. Our kids and grandkids will hate us for saddling them with a debt that will be a millstone around their necks, keeping them from having the standard of living we have had. At this point my kids and grandkids future comes first over the Ukrainians future. Sorry if this offends you.

$53-60b is also 80%-90% of Russia's annual defense budget. By the time this is over we will probably be funneling more money into Ukraine than Russia spends on it's military. How long will we be throwing money at Ukraine, eight years like Iraq, twenty years like Afghanistan. Perhaps more.

I do try to keep myself informed on what is happening in the world. But in all do respect, my opinions are mine, they have been formulated by me and have nothing to do with what "so many on the right" might be espousing.
Just a thought on the future of our kids, grand and grand grand kids. If the leaders of what used to be america manage to turn our country over to WHO and the UN then it is most likely the future america will be run by China and those progeny will never know the america we did.
From the general view of the younger set, 40's and under, they probably think it would be a better life. History tells a lot but only to those that know about it and believe it.
My opinion is just that; my opinion.

I don't have a horse in this race, But I do know if Trump were still president the wall on the southern border would be built, there would be no mass migration from 100+ countries headed to the US, the pipelines would be operational, investment in petroleum production would still be funded, the war in Afghanistan would have ended without debacle, the inflation rate wouldn't be headed to 20% AND the price of oil would be such that Putin would not have been able to afford an attack into Ukraine
If inflation, etc results in an increase in interest rates, we won't be able to service our debt, much less make a dent in it. If I wanted to destroy America, I would do just what Obama kicked into gear, and put us trillions more in debt...

There is a generation in for a rude awakening
1655486556208.png

I respect that this is personal for you and your defensiveness is somewhat understandable given your experience and background. Most of us do not have the luxury of your experience, and we do have to rely on sifting through the internet and the various media outlets for this information.

That being said, this Administration is doing a very poor job of messaging the actual use and distribution of the money being allocated to Ukraine. Maybe if someone in the Administration or the DOD would explain how weapons are being distributed against an existing defense budget as you pointed out, the ideology would be better received by the American public. But they are not... In fact quite the opposite is being disseminated from all media outlets left, right, and center..

Really? I think it's completely fair to ask questions of this or any other Administration in power of why we are spending billions on a country with which we have no official alliance or obligation to defend. It has nothing to do with the lack of Americans wanting to support the people of Ukraine.. It has to do with priorities and the fact that we are already underwater with an ever-growing number of crises' in our own country and half the population is genuinely struggling as a direct result of terrible policies from a government that has squandered American confidence long ago with it's lies and terrible policies across the board.

The Ukraine war and how it is being justified by this Administration may indeed be a victim of the times and the current political situation here in the USA. But, that doesn't dismiss the fact that there are many questions that deserve answers to justify American support.

Once again, I understand and agree with this generalization. However, it's not naiveté or a conspiracy theory for us to ask for specific examples of how this is more important right now than the dozens of other domestic shit storms we are already dealing with here at home. In regard to our Ukraine involvement, I have yet to hear any specific reasons, long-term strategies, or goals laid out by anyone in this Administration, or the pundits for that matter.

When hard working people see the US southern border overrun with impunity, fuel & food prices soaring, unaffordable rent and house prices, the stock market in a mass sell-off in reaction to rising interest rates, etc., it's very difficult to get them onboard with sending billions overseas to a war not of our making especially with no specific plan, and the Afghan debacle still smoldering.. Even if it's as you say and cash isn't being sent over in suitcases like Obama did with Iran, it's a hard sell to most Americans given what we have on our plates already..

Meanwhile Brandon continues to play his fiddle and only takes a break to spend more printed money and proudly proclaims that another 40 billion of it is going to Ukraine and you don't understand why taxpayers are asking questions as to how or why the money is being spent? I'm kinda surprised you don't get that?
I absolutely understand what you are saying. I could not agree more with your description of the ineptitude of this administration. Our only real difference, I believe, is with respect to the importance of blunting Russia's ambitions now in Eastern Europe.

I am convinced that not only should we be helping Ukraine, but that we should be doing so with the same urgency as the UK. I suspect Britain's own history of surrendering Czechoslovakia in Munich in 1938 is a driving force behind that nation's efforts currently. A similar historical experience is motivating Poland, a Slavic nation with less than close traditional ties to Ukraine. With respect to proportion of GDP and risk, they are doing more than almost any other nation in NATO.

We on the other hand, are saddled with a cognitive disaster as president, and in Jake Sullivan, perhaps the least prepared National Security Advisor since WWII. Neither, however, at least in my view, obviates the need for aggressive containment of Russian ambitions. It simply makes it harder.

Our own history should also be a warning. Our America First movement was very powerful in the late thirties, paralyzing FDR's ability to support Britain and France in curbing the ambitions of Adolf Hitler. We paid for that lack of interest with enormous quantities of blood and treasure. I absolutely believe, failure to curb Putin now eventually will cost this country far more than the relative pittance we are currently allocating.

I admit that I have little patience with the arguments pointing at the Southern border and then Ukraine - that the administration cares about one and not the other. It is true, it is frustrating, but it is also a false equivalency. The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. If Putin is successful in creating a rejuvenated Russian Empire, we will have generational challenges far greater than the chaos on the Rio Grande (something we can begin to correct in a few months).

I do not know how to be clearer about how the budget process works. I am sure there are people who believe that we are simply writing checks and giving them to the Ukrainian government. I am surprised educated people believe that, but perhaps so.

In this case, each of these allocations are authorized and appropriated by the Senate. The authorization is based upon input primarily from DOD and State. I'll stick with DOD, because it is the process with which I have the most experience. Coming up with the number is sausage making at its best. In its simplest terms, Ukraine will provide a prioritized list of what they need. DOD will work that list and determine what is available and at what risk from the US inventory. DOD will also reach out to NATO partners to determine their ability to fulfill requirements. For instance, we have lots of Harpoon missiles, but no ground launch capability. A NATO partner does.

DOD will also determine the training and sustainment package necessary to field a particular weapon system. That likely entails considerable back and forth with Ukraine's MOD as the reality of some employment timelines will push and pull capability up and down the priority list.

The NSC will also add its political and strategic concerns with respect to capabilities and timing.

HIMARS is a good example. Its employment on the battlefield, depending upon munitions, could destroy Russian artillery superiority or threaten Russian assembly areas inside Russia. Before accomplishing one or worrying about the other, Ukraine needs a US digital communications network to do targeting for HIMARS (or MLRS). Ukraine also needs an extremely robust military transportation system to handle MLRS munitions. A HIMARS can fire its six rockets in seconds and reload within five minutes. That means these systems can burn through many pods very quickly. The US uses a vast fleet of HEMETT 8x8 trucks and HEMAT trailers to keep the rocket launchers fed tactically. That lift needs to be accounted for in some way. Operational logistics also have to be solved. Until those challenges are resolved, the differences between Ukraine's desires and fulfillment will temper deployment.

But back to the budget process. Once all these competing interests are hashed out, a draft budget is created. The authorization committees will in turn tweak it and pass it to the appropriations committee which writes the check. That too can get complicated because at least some of the funding will likely come from other budgets. Then it is voted.

In any case, that portion of the appropriation to be spent against army materiel (most of it in this land war) is turned over to and managed by the US Army Security Assistance command - not Ukraine. It will be in two forms - new acquisition and draw down authority. Detailed auditing of the use of those funds by the command and industry is constant.

That well established management system is why Rand Paul's very public and seemingly all so rational demand for oversight was frustrating. He knows the system as well as anyone, but he managed a week's delay and scored some political points among the uninformed. I wonder how many Ukrainians will die due to a week's delay in a critical munition.

The State Department will manage US humanitarian assistance in a similar fashion, but as I say, I have no first hand experience in their mechanisms.

My sense is that many oppose the effort in Ukraine simply because this administration is doing it. I understand that. I generally despise its policies, I have contempt for many of its members, and November can not get here soon enough. But ignoring a vicious, almost medieval military culture trying to brutally reestablish itself on NATO's doorstep at the expense of a nation trying to become part of the European community, would be a catastrophic mistake. It is, I believe, in our critical national interests to address that threat right now. Unfortunately, we have to do it with the tools we have at hand.

Last edited:
There is a generation in for a rude awakening View attachment 471937
This situation has happened several times, generally in local areas to a specific cyclical industry. Alaska had a boom/bust with the start/stop of the pipeline. Houston has a few when the price of oil fluctuated; Seattle has one about every 15 years. Los Angeles/San Francisco appear to be headed for one. I suspect Boise Idaho will have one when the market is saturated. If there is no outside interference, such as the do gooders jumping in with tax funds or foreign governments seeking toe-holds, the cycle can be ridden out if the home purchaser can continue to make payments as per the original loan. Just like purchasing a share of stock in a company. Buy at $100.; the price drops to $50.; but the stock is held, then the price goes up to $150 and the stock is sold. Net= $50 gain. No damage caused by the dip while the stock was held.

I admit that I have little patience with the arguments pointing at the Southern border and then Ukraine - that the administration cares about one and not the other. It is true, it is frustrating, but it is also a false equivalency. The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. If Putin is successful in creating a rejuvenated Russian Empire, we will have generational challenges far greater than the chaos on the Rio Grande (something we can begin to correct in a few months).

I did not mention the border crisis as a comparison to the Ukraine war. It's not a matter of looking at it as a false equivalency. It's a matter of looking at what is a greater priority to American interests today as we speak.. You make the argument that we will pay price down the road and possibly generationally if we do not aid Ukraine against Russia now. Okay fair enough.. Maybe so, but I am making the argument that our domestic crises' have become so numerous and so serious that we will not have a republic left to worry about protecting from Russian aggression in Europe.. A year ago, my arguments might be dismissed as hyperbole... Today it is a stark reality for many including my own family.. It's happening right now and it's certainly no joke or just another can to be kicked down the road to be dealt with at a more convenient time.

The border aside, do you honestly think that folks who will be foreclosing on their homes and losing their pensions are looking down the road 10 years at what may or may not happen if Russia succeeds in Ukraine? These are not false equivalencies if you are the one living with the reality of tangible, life changing, domestic disasters that are most certainly happening as we speak.

My advanced apology for presuming anything about you, but perhaps you are well-off enough to endure the economic pain, and isolated enough to be shielded from the crime, violence, and moral decay in our society. I am not, so maybe that's a big reason we seem to disagree on this country's priorities at the moment.

I wonder how many Ukrainians will die due to a week's delay in a critical munition.

Probably less than those in the USA who have already died due to fentanyl OD's or violent crime as the border remains wide open.. Again, not a false equivalency, just a matter of priorities.. I feel terrible for the innocents dying in Ukraine. I feel worse for the innocent US citizens dying here..

My sense is that many oppose the effort in Ukraine simply because this administration is doing it.

I can only speak for myself, but that is absolutely not the case with me. My complete and utter contempt for Biden and the elected democrats in Washington has no bearing in my concerns over US involvement in Ukraine. I would be just as critical of any Administration who would risk our national security without a detailed explanation complete with strategies, goals, and contingencies clearly justifying why we need to risk war with Russia and possibly China to support Ukraine.

Do we have too many problems of our own to be involved? I think we are fully capable of addressing our domestic issues and helping Ukraine. We can, in fact, walk and chew gum at the same time.

I very respectfully disagree..

Can you point out any one example by which the current Administration has demonstrated their ability to do anything successfully to any degree? I'm being completely serious.. Please name one successful policy or piece of legislation produced by the current Administration that has helped the American people become more safe, healthy, successful, free or prosperous.

Can you point out any one example by which the current Administration has demonstrated their ability to do anything successfully to any degree?

CERTAINLY!! If you consider that the administrations goal is to bankrupt the "American Way of Life", kill off millions of people via starvation, death camps and wars, the current administration is doing thing very well. They just have a different end goal than most of the worlds population.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgebenjamin

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?