Politics

Sanna Marin, the Finnish prime minister, has never been a keen supporter of joining NATO.

Back in January, she said her country did not plan to join the military alliance in the near future.

However, the Finnish prime minister seems to have had a change of heart in the wake of Russia's unprovoked attack on its western neighbour.

She told the national broadcaster Yle last week: “Finland is ready to apply for NATO membership if the issue of national security becomes acute."
Both the Fins and Swedes have a long history of hating and fighting Russians and Finland was often the battle ground.

The Finns were attacked by the Soviets in the Winter War of November of 1939 and essentially were fought to a stand still by the hugely outnumbered Finish Army. Once the Soviet/German alliance collapsed when Germany invaded Russia, the Finns became de facto allies of Germany. Fighting resumed with the Russians eventually resulting in a treaty favorable to the Soviet Union in 1944. However, it is notable that even a victorious Red Army at the height of its power wasn't eager to attempt to overrun the whole country and occupy it like the Soviets had the Baltic States.

Finland has maintained a careful neutrality through the Cold War and to the present day. As you note, it is interesting that they are now vocally considering applying for NATO membership.

Russia ramps up nuclear fears as Putin puts deterrent on 'high alert' - NATO warned​

RUSSIA has ordered nuclear deterrence forces to be on ‘high alert' amid the Ukraine invasion and the threat of NATO.​

By DYLAN DONNELLY
13:46, Sun, Feb 27, 2022 | UPDATED: 13:47, Sun, Feb 27, 2022

Russia ramps up nuclear fears as Putin puts deterrent on 'high alert' - NATO warned​

RUSSIA has ordered nuclear deterrence forces to be on ‘high alert' amid the Ukraine invasion and the threat of NATO.​

By DYLAN DONNELLY
13:46, Sun, Feb 27, 2022 | UPDATED: 13:47, Sun, Feb 27, 2022

You have to love the last line.

“It is related to the protection of Russia itself from those who took Ukraine hostage and are trying to use it against our country and its people."

One must assume they believe all those Ukrainians fighting for the sovereignty of their country are suffering from some mass psychosis or Stockholm Syndrome.

Some on my strong Christian friends say the United States doesn't exist in the final Battle of Armageddon

I find it ironic and quite humorous that the big tough guy oil producer ran out of gas and is getting scolded in the streets by women.

“You should put sunflower seeds in your pockets so they will grow on Ukrainian land after you die."…I can’t quit laughing at this one.

On a more serious note, everything I’m reading and hearing point to a Russian force that was told one thing and are seeing quite another…a people that desires “liberating” do not shoot back.

However, these things add to the humiliation and throws sparks at the powder keg that is Putin. I hope that clearer minds can prevent a next-level desperation move.

I thought we sent a bunch of anti-tank weapons to Ukraine. However, I'm not seeing reports of Russian tanks on fire. Perhaps I have missed something. :E Confused:

I keep hearing this nonsense about the expansion of NATO.

After all that experience, from 1917 until 1991 (and in some cases going into Tsarist times), did anyone really think these former Soviet Republics would have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome?

Being surprised that Poland, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and even Georgia and Ukraine, et al would go running to NATO is like being surprised the wife with two black eyes running from a drunken husband would go to a Battered Wife Shelter. Why are we pretending it's not the husband who is at fault, it's the shelter's fault for simply being there?

NATO didn't "expand", looking for further ways to encircle. A bunch of places were determined to be co-dependent no more.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something.
Exactly!

They came up with the swift sanctions. But only for some Russian banks. Then we increased our imports of Russian oil. I always thought the Russians had this great hacking ability. They can't even shut down a third world's grid. Or was this all propaganda to make someone rich. This whole thing is weird. Putin attacks Ukraine than displays it all on the internet.

I thought we sent a bunch of anti-tank weapons to Ukraine. However, I'm not seeing reports of Russian tanks on fire. Perhaps I have missed something. :E Confused:
I think the Ukrainians are targeting the supply lines much softer target than heavy armour. Armour doesn,t get far on an empty fuel tank or a full one, they become liabilities rather than an asset.

From what I am seeing, they are doing pretty well with the Javelins and NLAWs (provided by the UK). Like Hungary in '56 and Czechoslovakia in '68, I suspect Putin thought his T-80's would be rolling through the streets of Kiev in short order. Rolling along the streets anywhere has apparently become a rather dangerous pastime for Russian conscripts.

As @Dudders notes, I also believe the Ukrainians are focusing on support troops where even light weapons can do much damage.

As @Dudders notes, I also believe the Ukrainians are focusing on support troops where even light weapons can do much damage.
Much like the Cossacks conducted hit and run attacks on Napoleon's Grand Army as it withdrew from Russia, light, irregular forces are still effective in reducing the large "logistics tail" necessary to supply the teeth of any army.

Wasn't sure to put this here..or in joke thread....but as the virus seems to have vanished from the news, I thought here was more appropriate...

IMG-20220227-WA0011.jpg

Don't those Ukranians know AKs and ARs are useless? Biden said you needed nukes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorcasGran

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?