Politics

So I live in what, at times for me, is a highly aggravating environment: I live in a very liberal/left wing bubble in a Republican state, Alaska. Dillingham - permanent population of something just north of 2500 people - is a regional hub, generally a good place to live, and maddeningly quite liberal/left leaning. Because of this our local government drives me bat-shit crazy, I loathe my local state rep, and the good townsfolk of Dillingham are overwhelmingly supporters of Biden.

I bring this up because when I look at my local situation and see it as a microcosm, it actually is easy enough for me to believe that Biden was, more or less, fairly elected. I'm not suggesting the election process is without issues, or even some level of corruption, but the idea he could garner enough votes to win? Sure. I can believe that.

I think the far bigger issue - just my opinion - is the majority of American voters today. Far too many want what's easy, don't look beyond the surface, have a form of ADHD where national level issues are concerned (or just flat out apathy), and worse - they are raising up the next generation to be even more inclined to be that way. Dear heavens, here in Alaska? Everyone wants a government handout - as many as possible and keep them coming.

No, I think it far more likely that @rookhawk 's analysis is closer to true than it's not, although the optimist in me wants to believe there is some sort of failsafe ahead of us still that will help to get us back on the right path.

Is our election process perfect? Nope. However, if it's Trump and Biden again come November, and Biden wins again, I think it'll be a lot less about whether it was fair or not, and a lot more about too many Americans just don't give a sh!t and want what they perceive to be the easiest path - the one of least resistance. Pulling some of those middle ground to just left of middle folks back from the brink is going to take someone who has tact and patience, which is exactly why Trump will once again fail, if he's our nominee.

You and I live in very similar towns. Mine is in SE, which is of course mostly Liberal due to the proximity of the Capitol. Our local government is also very left. Most of my neighbors are Biden supporters, are unhappy with him, and will vote for him again. They would vote for a better Democrat, it’s party over person every time. They are extremely well organized even in this little place. When a more conservative person runs for council, they have a little clandestine text message chain that goes out and they will write in any candidate who is part of their click just to make sure no conservative gets in. Said person then warms a seat on the council doing absolutely nothing for their term other than agreeing with the filibustering senior member.

Ok early morning rant after 4 days of heavy snow plowing. Haha. Still a great place to live and even the wackiest libtard in town here would give you a ride if you needed one. I wouldn’t live anywhere else. Haven’t locked a door in 30 years.

Dumb it down for me a bit please Joe... not quite understanding what you're saying.
There are three jobs awaiting every graduate of an engineering school in this country. Our production and productivity exceed our domestic engineering base. That delta is growing not narrowing. As I say, as problems go, it is not a bad one to have. Now if we could just get graduates of Ecole Polytechnique, Imperial College, and ETH Zurich to flood the southern border rather than handymen a fruit pickers we would be set.

The point is we won't have thousands of unemployed engineers in this country because from a macro perspective, they don't exist. The production and productivity capacity of this country greatly exceeds its domestic skill set. That is actually a good problem to have with which most of the world economies have no experience.
The problem is a lot of people including some here are not aware of that. There are more high tech jobs in this country than our citizens can fill and unfortunately our population is at a balance and will start shrinking in the coming years. We need immigration to fill the gaps and this is a fact.
Also if you believe in capitalism you should expect the fact that government should have no say in business decisions and hiring except setting up a framework and collect taxes.
Some of the suggestions like, let's tax the companies who outsource manufacturing abroad are actually punishing shareholders, retirement funds and basically because of potential huge price increases our own citizens.
Also stop and think for a second, what's American made?
BMW have their largest manufacturing plant in the World here in SC and employing thousands, likewise KIA, Hyundai, Subaru etc...
but at the same time Chrysler and Ford have manufacturing plants in Mexico.
So your BMW is made in US but my Ram is made in Mexico.
Train left the station decades ago and there's no coming back.
As long as US dollar is the World's reserve currency we'll be the richest country in the World and actually attracting talent from different countries and being part of the global economy is key to that.
Rest is political garbage.

There are three jobs awaiting every graduate of an engineering school in this country. Our production and productivity exceed our domestic engineering base. That delta is growing not narrowing. As I say, as problems go, it is not a bad one to have. Now if we could just get graduates of Ecole Polytechnique, Imperial College, and ETH Zurich to flood the southern border rather than handymen a fruit pickers we would be set.
Got it, thanks.

A double edge sword for sure. They may come for a job paying $60/h now and the short term but if everyone outsources to the third world those jobs will be based offshore soon enough...
The problem is a lot of people including some here are not aware of that. There are more high tech jobs in this country than our citizens can fill and unfortunately our population is at a balance and will start shrinking in the coming years. We need immigration to fill the gaps and this is a fact.
Also if you believe in capitalism you should expect the fact that government should have no say in business decisions and hiring except setting up a framework and collect taxes.
Some of the suggestions like, let's tax the companies who outsource manufacturing abroad are actually punishing shareholders, retirement funds and basically because of potential huge price increases our own citizens.
Also stop and think for a second, what's American made?
BMW have their largest manufacturing plant in the World here in SC and employing thousands, likewise KIA, Hyundai, Subaru etc...
but at the same time Chrysler and Ford have manufacturing plants in Mexico.
So your BMW is made in US but my Ram is made in Mexico.
Train left the station decades ago and there's no coming back.
As long as US dollar is the World's reserve currency we'll be the richest country in the World and actually attracting talent from different countries and being part of the global economy is key to that.
Rest is political garbage.
What is to stop BMW moving their plants to Mexico (or SA where we currently make BMW's). Now you're sitting with RAM in Mexico and BMW in Mexico/SA.

If you're not competitive and have no protection (no goalkeeper to have your ass) you are only a short step from losing the game.

The rest may be political garbage but the imperious arrogance of "US$ is the world currency so suck eggs we win" will bite you in the ass the longer this offshoring continues.

A gage of the academic level of USA high school graduates is the Armed Services Vocational Altitude Battery of tests (ASVAB). Presently, many potential recruits can't pass the ASVAB with even minimum scores. The US Army even established a pre-boot camp to help those potential recruits learn enough to pass. This pre-boot camp also provides assistance to those who cannot meet physical entrance requirements.

Toward the above, there is a fairly new online tutoring service with many offerings for ASVAB specific instruction. At $50 to several hundred dollars per hour, evidently the demand is there.

I think the National Education Association (NEA) teachers union is in large part to blame but I don't have facts to back that up. There are of course other factors such as high schoolers being allowed to have and use their pocket miracles (smart phones) in class. Students' classroom conduct of today would have got me whacked by a multi-hole paddle 50 years ago. Also, it seems failing kids are not held back to repeat a year of school. Rather they are deemed to have a learning disability and pushed through school only to graduate not able to make change at a fast food place! The list goes on...

My point is that USA high schools are not producing large numbers of graduates who are qualified for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).

Last edited:
Got it, thanks.

A double edge sword for sure. They may come for a job paying $60/h now and the short term but if everyone outsources to the third world those jobs will be based offshore soon enough...

What is to stop BMW moving their plants to Mexico (or SA where we currently make BMW's). Now you're sitting with RAM in Mexico and BMW in Mexico/SA.

If you're not competitive and have no protection (no goalkeeper to have your ass) you are only a short step from losing the game.

The rest may be political garbage but the imperious arrogance of "US$ is the world currency so suck eggs we win" will bite you in the ass the longer this offshoring continues.
I see you're based in SA where I spend a lot of time because of my son's job at the US Embassy in Pretoria.
There has been many efforts to upend US dollar as the World reserve currency.
EU tried it with Euro and failed, nowadays you guys are trying with BRICKS with Russia, China, India and Brazil and failing miserably.
Offshoring will have no effect on our economy as long as we attract talent and keep innovating which we do.
It doesn't matter where Iphone is made as long as Apple is a US company and people all over the World keep buying it, same for many others.
On a different note you guys better keep an eye on your own talent because last time I looked your doctors, engineers, etc are leaving the country in droves.

My point is that USA high schools are not producing large numbers of graduates who are qualified for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).

The USA is not the only place suffering from continually lowered standards in order to give everyone their master’s degree.

Whereas the Asian/Indian cultures look upon our participation trophies and “everyone’s children should have a university degree” with bewilderment and are still operating on a competence based system in education.

Got it, thanks.

It has taken me a minute, but we seem to be conflating two very different things.

1) Professional labor - again in my area of expertise that means software, hardware, and systems engineers.

As I noted above, there is insufficient domestic production of engineers to fill demand and that gap is widening.

2) Skilled labor - By that I mean employees of technical production houses. There we still have a surplus, but industries are quickly taking advantage of that labor space. See below.

3) Production

Off-shoring production is an issue that we do need to more fully address. For every engineer looking for a job there are dozen or more blue collar workers who would prefer employment somewhere other than the service industry.

The only way to insure that is to create a business environment that encourages production in this country. The chief levers at the federal level are taxes and the regulatory environment. That is why the notion of raising the corporate tax rate is such a brain dead idea. Relative skilled labor costs (as opposed to professional labor costs) remain competitive in much of this country - particularly Texas and the larger Southeast. The state and local communities offer tax incentives that can be even more advantageous than those available to the federal government.

For instance, Samsung is building a $17 billion semiconductor plant outside Austin. Texas Instruments has a similar project started near Sherman, TX. Tesla's headquarters and giant production facility opened a bit over a year ago in Austin. In the long run the state will benefit enormously from the economic growth generated by the relatively high paying skilled labor jobs being created by the thousands. The country benefits strategically by onshoring such critical production and ending dependence upon Taiwan and South Korea.

So from my perspective, the country has begun a really good job of turning around skilled labor production flight.

Unskilled labor is separate issue and is becoming more acute thanks to the flow coming across the border.

I see you're based in SA where I spend a lot of time because of my son's job at the US Embassy in Pretoria.
There has been many efforts to upend US dollar as the World reserve currency.
EU tried it with Euro and failed, nowadays you guys are trying with BRICKS with Russia, China, India and Brazil and failing miserably.
Offshoring will have no effect on our economy as long as we attract talent and keep innovating which we do.
It doesn't matter where Iphone is made as long as Apple is a US company and people all over the World keep buying it, same for many others.
On a different note you guys better keep an eye on your own talent because last time I looked your doctors, engineers, etc are leaving the country in droves.
If you're happy to offshore and you really believe that this is sustainable all I can say is good luck. I truly hope it works out for you... Unfortunately I see a lot more correlation between the USA and the last days of the Roma empire. Complacency and a belief they will be number one forever.

As for SA we are in complete agreement. That's the result of the policies I have been talking about and a communist mindset combined with MASSIVE corruption that has turned the second best country in Africa (Rhodesia being number one :giggle:) into what it is.

For those who advocate a near open check book for the Ukraine war by advocating such as, “stay the course, Russia is near quitting, just a little more, looky here see the video game-like battle action where Ukraine pops this tank or shows that stupid Russian tactic there and on and on” … it might pay to listen to sources a little closer to the action and not the retired generals on the rubber chicken tour for an outfit like the ISW or William Kristol or the rest of the rare air adolescents of the ISW. Might pay to listen to and hear what the head of the Estonian defense forces, Martin Herem has to say about Russia’s ability to fight this war for the foreseeable future. Just saying it might pay to examine all opinions, especially those that may offer a slightly different angle.

It has taken me a minute, but we seem to be conflating two very different things.

1) Professional labor - again in my area of expertise that means software, hardware, and systems engineers.

As I noted above, there is insufficient domestic production of engineers to fill demand and that gap is widening.

2) Skilled labor - By that I mean employees of technical production houses. There we still have a surplus, but industries are quickly taking advantage of that labor space. See below.

3) Production

Off-shoring production is an issue that we do need to more fully address. For every engineer looking for a job there are dozen or more blue collar workers who would prefer employment somewhere other than the service industry.

The only way to insure that is to create a business environment that encourages production in this country. The chief levers at the federal level are taxes and the regulatory environment. That is why the notion of raising the corporate tax rate is such a brain dead idea. Relative skilled labor costs (as opposed to professional labor costs) remain competitive in much of this country - particularly Texas and the larger Southeast. The state and local communities offer tax incentives that can be even more advantageous than those available to the federal government.

For instance, Samsung is building a $17 billion semiconductor plant outside Austin. Texas Instruments has a similar project started near Sherman, TX. Tesla's headquarters and giant production facility opened a bit over a year ago in Austin. In the long run the state will benefit enormously from the economic growth generated by the relatively high paying skilled labor jobs being created by the thousands. The country benefits strategically by onshoring such critical production and ending dependence upon Taiwan and South Korea.

So from my perspective, the country has begun a really good job of turning around skilled labor production flight.

Unskilled labor is separate issue and is becoming more acute thanks to the flow coming across the border.
100%(y)

A problem with professional labor is that the skilled labor folks are better paid. Those with a sheepskin gets the shaft, at least in the construction industry which is my area of familiarity.

Friend of mines kid went to University of AK which cranks out PE’s by the boatload. He got a bachelor’s in civil engineering. Went to work for a couple years making nothing to knock out the apprenticeship to get his stamp. Now he’s flying a jet for the airlines making light 6 figures.

My son is on track for his PLS. Guys propping up a shovel on a Bacon job are much better paid.

You and I live in very similar towns. Mine is in SE, which is of course mostly Liberal due to the proximity of the Capitol. Our local government is also very left. Most of my neighbors are Biden supporters, are unhappy with him, and will vote for him again. They would vote for a better Democrat, it’s party over person every time. They are extremely well organized even in this little place. When a more conservative person runs for council, they have a little clandestine text message chain that goes out and they will write in any candidate who is part of their click just to make sure no conservative gets in. Said person then warms a seat on the council doing absolutely nothing for their term other than agreeing with the filibustering senior member.

Ok early morning rant after 4 days of heavy snow plowing. Haha. Still a great place to live and even the wackiest libtard in town here would give you a ride if you needed one. I wouldn’t live anywhere else. Haven’t locked a door in 30 years.

Just almost parallel universes, at opposite ends of our state. My difference? There is enough of a drug issue here - complete with things getting stolen - that I do lock my doors, and my daughters know where the firearms are and are trained in their use. However, it was uncanny reading about your community... it would seem like we are living eerily similar lives. Normally that would be my lot in life too - with the plowing - but we have had a weird weather year: I haven't plowed in a month. Between warm weather/rain in December, and now we are in the middle of a literal two weeks in a row of sun/zero degree weather.

Thanks for chiming in; if you're ever in DLG, look me up. Meal at the diner is on me.

Don’t worry this guy will fix all of that.

And unfortunately, a lot of uninformed voters will look at his smile, his hair and listen to his greasy politicians BS. instead of digging into his real record.
IMG_3216.jpeg

A few years ago, Democrats started eating their own. It is encouraging to see some of the capable ones start to fight back.

1706200138277.png

View attachment 583162
Definitely not the province I thought would allow a “F*CK TRUDEAU” license plate.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Even though I KNEW what the tag said, my mind read it as TURDo... which, to listen to you Canadian fellows, seems possibly more accurate anyway?

I know LE is unionized but those are not the unions that come to mind when most people think about unions.

Maybe so.... Probably due to the fact that anyone who is not a union member or from a union family only hears about organized labor from the media... To this day, conservative media outlets in general demonize unions while liberal outlets praise them.. Unfortunately, as I said previously it's not that simple. Union membership is very diverse in this country, and it's been my experience that union members like police, fire, and skilled trades lean much more conservative regardless of what their leadership endorses or dictates. Union execs are DC lobbyists which I view as a necessary evil. They have tunnel vison for union mandates regardless of the bigger picture.

Unions did a lot of good in the ole days when robber barons became millionaires and steel mill and other workers made $2 a day in dangerous conditions but those days are long gone. The unions priced themselves right of of thousands of jobs so lots of companies out-sourced manufacturing overseas. Same happened in high-tech. I guided a guy on a sheep hunt who was the Liaison for HP dealing with the Chinese government. He said nobody wanted to pay $2500 for a computer when their competitors charged $750 for a computer built in China. HP had to do the same or go bankrupt.

I don't agree at all with your assumption that those days are long gone..

I cannot speak to how the manufacturing trades bargain with their management, but I can speak to police, fire, and the electrical unions here in Florida all of which I have close family who are members... Also speaking as a union executive board member for over 20 years as a member of the negotiating team that bargained 7 contracts in that time frame, I can assure you unequivocally that management, to this day would cut every safety and health benefit that they could in the effort to create the image that they are saving the taxpayer a penny... Don't forget that every union member who works for a local or state government is negotiating with elected officials who have no understanding, and little to no regard for the health & safety of our membership. They would gladly put a badge and a sidearm on chimps at $5/hr if they thought they could get away with it... We have had to continually fight and claw for every health and safety benefit we have earned over the years. This will never change...

The latest UAW strike and even the strike before that were ridiculous. Years ago, I saw a report that the average GM autoworker made $55 per hour plus benefits but they were on strike! They make more now to snap parts together. It's no wonder a new Ford F250 is $100,000+

Again, I can't speak to how bargaining agreements are reached between the UAW union and their management. If the union can negotiate $55/hr for their members, good for them.... They are the ones who must decide what benefits to prioritize, and the management must decide if they are willing to pay it. Then, it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to buy that product or service at that cost... Capitalism at its finest...

The problem usually occurs when the union heads and management both agree to wages and/or benefits that are unsustainable over the long haul.... That's where the body's discipline and responsibility need to come into play both during negotiations and when electing their representatives.

Unions vote for their leaders, and CEO's appoint theirs... It's the responsibility of both sides to find long term sustainability in whatever benefit package they agree to... It rarely happens in private business, but in the public sectors many of these municipal governments will take money allocated for pension benefits and then divert and spend it in the general fund... That's why Social Security is unsustainable and will go eventually go bankrupt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotapparel

Latest profile posts

Got Apparel started out with just a small line of brands in 2007 and today, we’ve become one of the largest online wholesale clothing stores you’ll find. We stock some of the greatest brands including Adidas, Gildan, Port Authority and Hanes.
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?