Politics

He seems to be way off on a lot of things but every once in a while he’ll make a good point but I don’t recall one recently. I didn’t watch much of the clip though.
Even a broken clock has the correct time twice a day.

IMG_2093.jpeg

Even a broken clock has the correct time twice a day.
Some direct contradiction to those that think giving big money to foreign wars is a good idea.

I'll focus on the implications of MacGregor's comments with respect to defense spending and our role in the world - an issue he often turns to in his commentary. His concerns with respect to immigration and similar issues in this interview reflect much of what has been commented by others in this thread. @375 Ruger Fan pretty much nailed it.

On the whole, MacGregor both deliberately lies and alternatively believes all sorts of things harmful to our actual national interest. He does this out a very personal sense of grievance with respect to this country and the Department of Defense specifically - an agency which failed to appropriately reward his self-evident military and leadership acumen.

I think most of us would agree that fewer wars are, on the whole a good thing. Though I am not aware of one we are fighting at the moment. But, I strongly believe the warning of Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus in the 4th century AD was never more important than now in the opening decades of the twenty-first century - Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Critics of American power always point to our "wasteful" defense spending as if those DOD dollars are taken out to the south parking lot of the Pentagon and burned in a large bonfire each year. That, of course, is hardly the case. These critics get away with it because the average American doesn't understand anything about economics. A couple of observations which the good colonel forgot to add to his discussion.

The US develops nearly all its weapon systems in this country. Therefore, virtually all procurement and R&D dollars directly bolster economic activity. After all, Defense corporations do not stuff mattresses with contract payments. Those dollars are invested in salaries, campuses, and additional R&D. The vast majority of our uniformed and civilian DOD employees spend and invest their salaries here in the US. Even their medical care, particularly retirees, represents meaningful patient load to doctors and hospitals across the country. Operational and maintenance costs for deployed forces represent a higher percentage of off-shore expense than any other category of Defense spending, but there too, the vast majority ends up back in the US economy in one form or another.

Even with respect to Ukraine, a frequent target of Macgregor's ire, DOD funding for that country's support is almost all actually invested here in one form or another.

defense-spending-covers-a-wide-range-of-activities_0.jpg

Defense spending also makes up less of a percentage of national GDP today - 3.4% - than at any point since 1960 when it represented 8.9%. The highwater mark was 1967 when the US invested 9.4% of GDP on defense.

So spare me both MacGregor's histrionics and the questions of the simpleton interviewing him.

Last edited:
A concerning question, is why are so many countries political leadership against Israel's invasion of Gaza to wipe out the current Hamas group?

the majority of political decisions are about money or votes.. occasionally they'll give some thought to actual national interests..

never believe a politician is actually making decisions about the simple morality of right vs wrong..

I'd maintain that to get into politics in the first place most politicians (whether they identify as being on the right or the left) devoid themselves of morality and ethics as a starting point..

A concerning question, is why are so many countries political leadership against Israel's invasion of Gaza to wipe out the current Hamas group?
Believe it or not there's also a lot opposition inside and outside Israel by Jews against the invasion of Gaza.
Many are calling Netanyahu responsible for the Hamas attack and are afraid about the fate of 200+ hostages.
There's a huge power struggle going on behind the closed doors between some military leaders and the government.
They also don't want to get dragged into an endless war again which won't achieve much and will cause many more Israel citizens to die.
The more this drags on the more opposition will surface against Netanyahu in Israel.
I feel like his days are numbered whatever the outcome.
This is what happened yesterday:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had a message: His military and security chiefs, he said, had failed to provide him with any warning of the surprise Hamas assault on Oct. 7. He appeared to be placing all the blame on them for the colossal lapses — even as Israeli forces were broadening a risky ground war in Gaza.

The country awoke to a furious response, including from within Mr. Netanyahu’s own war cabinet. The post on X, formerly Twitter, was deleted, and the Israeli leader apologized in a new one. “I was wrong,” he said.

But the damage was done.

For many Israelis, the episode confirmed suspicions of rifts and disarray at the top during one of the worst crises in the country’s 75-year history and reinforced qualms about Mr. Netanyahu’s leadership.

With all eyes, and resources, fixated on the Ukraine and middle east, I'm waiting for China to swoop in on Taiwan.

This is a good concern, the good thing is though that the weather window for an invasion of the main island of Taiwan has closed (as far as I am aware). We are good till spring.

Though china could try to invade the outer islands of Taiwan. But this would raise the alarm bells on the main island and they would then become a much harder target since they would mobilize.

All the commentators I listen to seem to think china is waiting for the next Taiwan election to try and get pro-Beijing parties elected. This is hoped to avoid the need for invasion. Only time will tell.

At this point, does anyone really care enough to do any of these things.

The Palestinians of Gaza have turned down these options multiple times. The Arab States are tired of the Palestinians. The Israelis are tired of the Palestinians. The EU is tired of the Palestinians. America is tired of the Palestinians.

The Palestinians chose Hamas. The Palestinians chose to live like this instead of developing their own beachfront resorts, power plants, water plants, light industry, etc. The money was there and given to the Palestinians. Instead they spent the money on rockets, tunnels and corruption so their leaders could live lavishly outside of Gaza.

At this point does anyone care other than Palestinians who have left for first world countries, or Muslims who have moved to first world countries.
I am pretty certain that Hamas is about to be removed, and having gone to all the trouble to do so Israel for sure will not leave any chance of that vacuum being filled by Hamas 2. So how do you do that? Massive permanent Israeli police and military presence is one option, but messy for ever. Or is it possible to calm it all down at least to a far less dangerous boiling pot? It isn’t going to magically go away on it’s own.

I am pretty certain that Hamas is about to be removed, and having gone to all the trouble to do so Israel for sure will not leave any chance of that vacuum being filled by Hamas 2. So how do you do that? Massive permanent Israeli police and military presence is one option, but messy for ever. Or is it possible to calm it all down at least to a far less dangerous boiling pot? It isn’t going to magically go away on it’s own.
It needs to be made very very unattractive to be a terrorist……….

Yes, I believe Israel will have to occupy Gaza for a while.

I don't believe that Turkey would be foolish enough to attack Israel.

But then again, if the U.S is sending 4 carrier groups into the region, there has to be something serious enough to command that type of presence and firepower
I thought they were only sending two carrier groups?

It'll be worse than when the first earlier "robotics" started replacing working people in industrial jobs.
Not only that, but if this country becomes a one party state, there will be microchipping, digital currency, social credit score, and everything people do will be tracked by governments AI machine, that can shut down your life with algorithms.

After they take the guns away.

Last edited:
This is a good concern, the good thing is though that the weather window for an invasion of the main island of Taiwan has closed (as far as I am aware). We are good till spring.

Though china could try to invade the outer islands of Taiwan. But this would raise the alarm bells on the main island and they would then become a much harder target since they would mobilize.

All the commentators I listen to seem to think china is waiting for the next Taiwan election to try and get pro-Beijing parties elected. This is hoped to avoid the need for invasion. Only time will tell.

I'm not optimistic about seeing a Republican elected president in 2024, but I bet China has a contingency plan in place to take Taiwan based on the outcome of the U.S election.

Believe it or not there's also a lot opposition inside and outside Israel by Jews against the invasion of Gaza.
Many are calling Netanyahu responsible for the Hamas attack and are afraid about the fate of 200+ hostages.
There's a huge power struggle going on behind the closed doors between some military leaders and the government.
They also don't want to get dragged into an endless war again which won't achieve much and will cause many more Israel citizens to die.
The more this drags on the more opposition will surface against Netanyahu in Israel.
I feel like his days are numbered whatever the outcome.
This is what happened yesterday:

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had a message: His military and security chiefs, he said, had failed to provide him with any warning of the surprise Hamas assault on Oct. 7. He appeared to be placing all the blame on them for the colossal lapses — even as Israeli forces were broadening a risky ground war in Gaza.

The country awoke to a furious response, including from within Mr. Netanyahu’s own war cabinet. The post on X, formerly Twitter, was deleted, and the Israeli leader apologized in a new one. “I was wrong,” he said.

But the damage was done.

For many Israelis, the episode confirmed suspicions of rifts and disarray at the top during one of the worst crises in the country’s 75-year history and reinforced qualms about Mr. Netanyahu’s leadership.

It seems like a hypocritical double standard. It's o.k for Hamas to attack Israel from Gaza, but its not o.k to attack Gaza from Israel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newsvRem

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia