Plains Game Ammo

It seems the Hornady 200 grain ELDX loaded by my outfitter to be a wide "coverall" bullet and effective on game from Springbuck up to Sable/Cape Kudu, from around 100 yards to over 400 yards. I've used this bullet on 50 plus animals in three trips to the Eastern Cape. I wonder what issues an outfitter would have experienced with the ELDX. 100 yards and less, rarely saw a bullet exit though.
No exits under 100 yards is very concerning. Unless you found the bullet on skin on opposite side it means the bullet fragmented at 300 win velocity and penetration is questionable on larger PG species. I believe energy really assists in putting game down but you need to choose a bullet that consistently performs and achieves full penetration through the vitals.

@WASHED-UP-VET i didn’t see it written anywhere on thread and not sure if you are aware, but the vitals on African game are further forward than North American game. The correct shot placement is on the shoulder not behind. This is reason for tougher bonded bullets or monolithic bullets like TTSX. The bullet has to withstand a lot more heavy bone to reach the vitals than a shot behind the shoulder.

While I have had great success with the 168 grain TTSX in my 30-06 for plains game, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 180 grain Scirocco 2 if it was more accurate out of my 30-06 or 300 WM. They're bonded and have a great reputation for weight retention. Heck, my eland was taken with a rental 300 WM using Jacketed Soft Point (cup and core) 180 grain PMP factory ammo. One shot put it to the ground, a second anchored it. I'm sure the Scirocco would work even better, so use it with confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awfeggdsfsfg

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?