Plains Game Ammo

It’s relevant because a bullet that works well on elk might not be as effective on a kudu in Africa because the shot placement is different. A new hunter to Africa doesn’t always know that.
@375Fox
I have to politely disagree.
My son used a 308 with 150gn accubonds in Namibia. He shot oryx, zebra and other game no problems at all. Would I let him use that bullet on elk. Hell yes.
Bob

Thread 'HUNTING Kudu' https://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-kudu.226/

Seems I'm not the only one advocating a broadside shot just behind the shoulder. I would hesitate to recommend a neck shot. I have had some bad luck with neck shots, especially large game. Also, it tends to make a mess of capes. Placing the shot high on the shoulder is intended to take out CNS and knock the animal over. However, vertebrate are very thick in that area. Shot placement there needs to be very precise to sever the spinal cord. Lungs are the largest vital target and provide the best probability for fatal damage. Shot placed just behind the shoulder hits the lungs.

Of course presentation makes a big difference. An animal quartering slightly towards me would be best shot on the point of shoulder. An animal quartering slightly away definitely should be shot behind the shoulder. An animal quartering well away should probably not be shot at all, but if necessary (wounded), aim for middle of ribs and hope for the best.
@Ontario Hunter
My black wildebeest was quartering away from me at 170 yards. I put the bullet in just Infront of the last rib. Bullet exited up just past the offside shoulder..
I don't think about where the bullet is going to hit. I think where do I want it to exit and aim accordingly. I draw a mental picture of where I want it to exit and work back to where I should shoot.
Quartering to me I want the bullet to come out near the end of the ribs so I know I have to aim forward of the shoulder.
I know it backwards but hey it works for me
Bob

So am I. I drive a 1997 LandRover :A Bang Head: :ROFLMAO:
@Rule 303
What to the mechanics or the scrap yard.
My 97 Nissan diesel just did a 3 month 17,000 km trip around Australia and never missed a beat even towing a close to 2 ton caravan.
One thing you didn't say was how often the Landy was actually driven or do you just go up and down the driveway so you don't have to worry when it dies as you won't be far from home
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob

@Rule 303
What to the mechanics or the scrap yard.
My 97 Nissan diesel just did a 3 month 17,000 km trip around Australia and never missed a beat even towing a close to 2 ton caravan.
One thing you didn't say was how often the Landy was actually driven or do you just go up and down the driveway so you don't have to worry when it dies as you won't be far from home
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob
Mainly longer trips out west. As it is a 1997 Defender there is stuff all Lucas electrics in it, so not too much to worry about.

@375Fox
I have to politely disagree.
My son used a 308 with 150gn accubonds in Namibia. He shot oryx, zebra and other game no problems at all. Would I let him use that bullet on elk. Hell yes.
Bob
I didn’t say a bullet that works well on African game wouldn’t be a good bullet for elk. I said not all bullets used on elk are ideal for African game. A lot of bullets marketed for deer and elk in US are soft non-bonded bullets and not ideal for shoulder shots on African game. I don’t see anything wrong with an accubond or most any bonded bullet.

@375Fox I have to agree with you. I know Giraffe have thick fighting pads up front and very strong bones so would need a bonded bullet if going this angle. Most other sizeable plains game have tough bones and as their vitals tend to be a little bit further forward shoulder shots seem to be the preferred option for a side on shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?