Peter Capstick...who knows the truth?

"Asparagus Size Cartridges" My favorite Capstick saying.
He borrowed that
675B04CC-8D43-41B2-851D-CD48EBF3D65E.jpeg

In the Cabelas hunting chronicles book entitled “Two Hearts One Passion” on page 77 there is a brief paragraph-
“Harry and I used to go to the Duck Inn, Peter Capstick’s bar in Maun. We’d get to putting a few drinks back and start talking about our last adventures. Well, some of the stories in Peter’s books seemed awfully familiar. Ol’ Peter could sure tell a story though. Nobody can argue that”.
That is quoting Ronnie Kay, a former partner to Harry Shelby who he is referring to in the quote. I guess if you own a bar you should know how to bartend and probabaly mix a darn fine drink in your own camp.
I’m glad he recorded so many stories in the way he did so they weren’t lost but instead have inspired thousands (?) to visit Africa.
Sorry to revive a tired old topic but the paragraph struck a chord with me.

In the Cabelas hunting chronicles book entitled “Two Hearts One Passion” on page 77 there is a brief paragraph-
“Harry and I used to go to the Duck Inn, Peter Capstick’s bar in Maun. We’d get to putting a few drinks back and start talking about our last adventures. Well, some of the stories in Peter’s books seemed awfully familiar. Ol’ Peter could sure tell a story though. Nobody can argue that”.
That is quoting Ronnie Kay, a former partner to Harry Shelby who he is referring to in the quote. I guess if you own a bar you should know how to bartend and probabaly mix a darn fine drink in your own camp.
I’m glad he recorded so many stories in the way he did so they weren’t lost but instead have inspired thousands (?) to visit Africa.
One of my very favorites!!!

So many people called Capstick a fraud. I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally but I know several who have. Capstick was the real deal. Yes indeed he could tell a story and make you feel like you were there with him on the hunt. Short of Rauck he was probably responsible for promoting hunting in Africa more than others. Would have really liked to share some Highlannd holy water with him around the evening fire.

The truth? The man could write a hunting story! His books kept me fascinated for years before I could afford a safari. I couldn’t care less if he borrowed stories or embellished his own experiences. Hell, I don’t care if he made everything up! His books are some of the most popular ever written on the subject of safari.

Interesting topic and responses. My opinion only, I owe a lot of my facination with Africa to Mr. Capstick. Growing up in less than ideal conditions, Edgar Rice Burroughs allowed me to escape my screwed up upbringing thru his series of books "Tarzan". Once I got older, the likes of Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith took me to far away places with their writings. Then I picked up "Death in the Long Grass" by Mr. Capstick. He could make me "live" in his moments, true or not. I didn't and don't care. His style of writing has the ability to take you on a journey and be there as if you were there in person. Did he embelish his stories to make them "better"? Probably. Did Jack and Elmer do the same? Probably. 100% truth or not these men entertained me and thousands more. I actually owe it to Mr. Capstick, for fueling my desire to experience Africa. I have spent many a night around a campfire listening (and telling) hunting stories/memories. Were any of those emblished?? Damn straight.

Fritz - You are 100% right about Fiona. I met here at the Houston Safari Club Convention a few years ago. Very fine lady.
im the same way. i picked up Capsticks “death in dark continent” about 25 years ago and was immediately hooked. now i have all of his and have read most of them several times. fantastic writer that puts you right in the action, page after page.

I had the privilege of meeting him at Houston Safari Club not long before his death, he had a booth selling books, he was alone and had had a few to drink, i bought a handful of books from and he autographed all, and he told me to have a seat and he told me several stories of Africa, I became hooked on Africa and went on my first safari to Tanzania just a few years later - he sparked a passion of 3 decades now and i thank him dearly

I had the privilege of meeting him at Houston Safari Club not long before his death, he had a booth selling books, he was alone and had had a few to drink, i bought a handful of books from and he autographed all, and he told me to have a seat and he told me several stories of Africa, I became hooked on Africa and went on my first safari to Tanzania just a few years later - he sparked a passion of 3 decades now and i thank him dearly
what a memory to treasure! he was a masterful storysteller and ignited my passion for hunting the dark continent.

A great writer and licensed PH in at least 2-3 countries IIRC. That ought to count for something.

My thoughts:

1) His contribution to the safari industry is immense and his books practically singlehandedly reignited a love for African hunting amongst American outdoorsmen.

2) He was definitely a licensed white hunter, because we have at least 1 other author (the brutally honest Col. Charles Askins) who can testify to that (see photo below).
IMG_2899.jpeg

3) He greatly exaggerated about his dangerous game hunting experiences. An acquaintance of mine, Mr. Jeff Rann (of Botswana fame) actually took Mr. Capstick out to hunt dangerous game in Botswana and they filmed the hunt. Jeff actually shot most of the dangerous game in the film made of that safari. I believe Jeff completely. If you watch the film, then you will see that Mr. Capstick was absolutely shaky and terrified when they approached a hippopotamus.

4) He clearly lied about following up wounded leopards. In “Death In The Long Grass” (1977), he claims his leopard shotgun of choice was an old model Winchester M12. In “The Last Safari” (1984), he claims that it was a multi choke Winchester Model 1200. He also (more than once) gives different accounts of what shot size he used. Sometimes, it’s #1 Buck. Sometimes it’s S.S.G (which is #3 Buck and Mr. Capstick specifically says so). An old saying that my father taught me, is this: “If you ever want to find out whether someone is lying, ask them to repeat their account a few times after certain periods of intervals. If they are telling the truth, no details of the story will change. If they are making anything up, none of the stories will be 100% identical to each other”.

To conclude, Peter H. Capstick was definitely real. But his accounts weren’t always, and should be treated as interesting thrillers rather than as a “How to” guide for hunting dangerous game.

I don't care if he was more phony to African big game hunting as the Kardashians are to whatever endeavor they are supposed to be experts.

He, alone, is responsible for more Americans wanting to hunt Africa over the last 40 years than anyone else, bar none.

We could also write, which seem to be becoming more rare with each passing yar.

I’ll add my name to the list of people that went to Africa because when they were 12 years old read, “death in the long grass”. By far, the best storyteller about African hunting that I have ever read. I don’t give two rats ass if he was somewhat of a phony as a PH, but he made me want to go to Africa and I can only thank him for that!

My thoughts:

1) His contribution to the safari industry is immense and his books practically singlehandedly reignited a love for African hunting amongst American outdoorsmen.

2) He was definitely a licensed white hunter, because we have at least 1 other author (the brutally honest Col. Charles Askins) who can testify to that (see photo below).
View attachment 568547
3) He greatly exaggerated about his dangerous game hunting experiences. An acquaintance of mine, Mr. Jeff Rann (of Botswana fame) actually took Mr. Capstick out to hunt dangerous game in Botswana and they filmed the hunt. Jeff actually shot most of the dangerous game in the film made of that safari. I believe Jeff completely. If you watch the film, then you will see that Mr. Capstick was absolutely shaky and terrified when they approached a hippopotamus.

4) He clearly lied about following up wounded leopards. In “Death In The Long Grass” (1977), he claims his leopard shotgun of choice was an old model Winchester M12. In “The Last Safari” (1984), he claims that it was a multi choke Winchester Model 1200. He also (more than once) gives different accounts of what shot size he used. Sometimes, it’s #1 Buck. Sometimes it’s S.S.G (which is #3 Buck and Mr. Capstick specifically says so). An old saying that my father taught me, is this: “If you ever want to find out whether someone is lying, ask them to repeat their account a few times after certain periods of intervals. If they are telling the truth, no details of the story will change. If they are making anything up, none of the stories will be 100% identical to each other”.

To conclude, Peter H. Capstick was definitely real. But his accounts weren’t always, and should be treated as interesting thrillers rather than as a “How to” guide for hunting dangerous game.
Agree! He did get a new generation interested in Africa. And, if we have to put up with a few inaccuracies then so be it. I found the books interesting and read them all. I enjoyed the stories as such and not so much about his ego (which if you ever met him was large). But it was Death in the Long Grass that was the beginning for me to fulfill a hunt of a lifetime and at 74 take a big old Dagga Boy. It was an experience of a lifetime. And if for only that reason for me is enough to say he is ok.

So many people called Capstick a fraud. I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally but I know several who have. Capstick was the real deal. Yes indeed he could tell a story and make you feel like you were there with him on the hunt. Short of Rauck he was probably responsible for promoting hunting in Africa more than others. Would have really liked to share some Highlannd holy water with him around the evening fire.
As i understand it from good sources he did enjoy the Highland Holy Water.

I enjoy his writing, I occasionally take out a copy and re-read his books. Geoff Broom seemed to like him as he could speak Spanish and at the time it was hard for US hunters to get to then Rhodesia.
On the fact he used different shotguns to follow up wounded leopard was his old model 12 was stolen along with most of his other guns from his home in Naples Florida.
I noticed in most of his writing that he normally gave credit to the people that were in the stories and would omit names when he thought it was appropriate.

@Hunter habib, you make some good points , as far as PHC being a little flustered at the approach to a hippo I’ve seen film of a very well known African PH shaking so bad at the approach of a black bear he would make coffee nervous. I guess my point would be is if your not familiar with the game your after anyone can get a little nervous. I don’t ever recall in any of his books that he ever hunted hippo.

All I can say is:

“Death in the Long Grass” is a gripping read, and that shit gave me nightmares my first night in camp. (First time I read it was days before I arrived)

Actually, it was an article in Sports Afield about buffalo hunting I read in 2015-16 that first caught my attention about hunting in Africa, and it was the instruction manual called “Buffalo!” that I read at 32 that pushed me to seriously look into hunting in Africa. Capstick and Ruark only showed up after joining this forum.

Last edited:
@Hunter habib, you make some good points , as far as PHC being a little flustered at the approach to a hippo I’ve seen film of a very well known African PH shaking so bad at the approach of a black bear he would make coffee nervous. I guess my point would be is if your not familiar with the game your after anyone can get a little nervous. I don’t ever recall in any of his books that he ever hunted hippo.
@Hunt anything Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

The part about him using different shotguns is still a bit sketchy. You see, in his 1970s works… he mentions initially using a Beretta over & under and then switching to an old model Winchester 12 (he goes on to elaborate that it is indeed an older model, because you can slam-fire it). No mention of a Winchester 1200, whatsoever.

In his 1980s works (notably “The Last Safari”), he mentions using a Beretta over & under and then switching to a Winchester Model 1200 with multi-chokes (he goes on to elaborate that it does indeed have multi-chokes because he changes the choke tubes in order to fit his needs). No mention of a Winchester Model 12, whatsoever.
IMG_1096.jpeg
IMG_1097.jpeg

Last edited:
Authenticity has another component, namely RESEARCH, and at that Capstick absolutely excelled. He can dig up more verifiable extra data on famous hunters and circumstances surrounding their hunts than anyone I have read. His vast collection of books, newspaper clippings, interviews with historical hunters, geographical details, details from other reports and sources of the same stories about man-eaters, etc. place him at the top of the list of those who get it right. Then he takes his own observations and deductions and weaves it naturally into the narratives of hunts and hunters with his inimitable style--what a joy to read along! He is a FINE writer. No regrets having his books except one--I didn't buy his leather-bound set while it was cheap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renqizhihuo032

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?