Peter Capstick...who knows the truth?

And not once has he ever mentioned driving to a grocery store in Naples, Florida……. The horror……

Another curious thing about Capstick to is; was he a control officer or game warden in Northern Rhodesia? Many of his most entertaining stories seem to revolve the duties of a control officer.

Another curious thing about Capstick to is; was he a control officer or game warden in Northern Rhodesia? Many of his most entertaining stories seem to revolve the duties of a control officer.
We know that he partook in elephant cropping during the 1970s. I’ll try to dig up more.

Perhaps someone can confirm this but didn't Capstick work for Gordon Cundhill at one time in Botswana.

I think you are correct - some association with Safari South. Can't remember where I read that - maybe an email from someone,

________

As far as the Model 12 /1200 issue - I actually see no contradiction in what PHC writes - to pick it apart:

In 1983 he says: Since (after) his Beretta was stolen he went to the Model 12 and then distinguishes it from the 'new' (probably meaning the 1200) by calling it the 'old' model that can slam fire.

In 1984 he says he switched from the Beretta to the 1200s due to field wear, NOT because the Beretta was stolen, then goes on to describe them (remember, he worked with Winchester travel). He THEN says (in 1984) that a few years ago his guns were stolen (including the Beretta) and that since then he has only used 'the old pumps' (the Model 12s, not the newer 1200s he picked up).

The statement from 1983 and the second statement from 1984 are the same. Beretta is stolen, went to the 'old' shotguns. Meaning the model 12.

So to condense:

He had a Beretta
Due to fieldwear (and likely advertising) got some 1200s (and I might mention, seemed to take great joy in giving them away).
So at one time he probably had a stack of 12s/1200s AND his Beretta
His Beretta was then stolen, and he simply reverted to his preferred model 12.

I'm not holding this against PHC. I can't remember if I posted this here on AH or not, but many people do not know Peter was a real estate agent in Florida, studied abnormal psychology, and used to give talks as local schools, etc. before Death in the Long Grass was published. His first wife even opened an Africa-themed boutique for a bit.

No matter his faults (that we all share to an extent) PHC loved Africa, loved talking about it, and worked his ass off to make it his life, and in the process wrote a book on the very esoteric (and these days unpopular) subject of safari that has never gone out of print.

@Hunter-Habib, you are a very respected member of this community and a very experienced PH. Count me as one of your fans. However, I find your nitpicking a minor inconsistency about what shotgun PHC used slightly off-putting. I'm not sure why you're so insistent about it. It's a meaningless inconsistency especially when there are several first hand accounts of PHC that are all favorable.

@Hunter-Habib, you are a very respected member of this community and a very experienced PH. Count me as one of your fans. However, I find your nitpicking a minor inconsistency about what shotgun PHC used slightly off-putting. I'm not sure why you're so insistent about it. It's a meaningless inconsistency especially when there are several first hand accounts of PHC that are all favorable.
Alright, @Bonk

I understand & I'll let this go.

But before I do, I'll answer your question. The man has faced accusations of exaggerating his claims by more than one independent account (including a person who hunted with him and is a friend of mine).

The original poster asked if Peter Capstick was genuine or a fraud. I offered my insight that he was definitely a licensed white hunter but that I was also of opinion that some of his claims were not truthful. I offered my reasonings for coming to my conclusion based on the things that I can decipher from Peter Capstick's writings.

The shotgun inconsistency was the first one that came to my mind, so I posted it here for others to see and come to their own conclusions. Maybe my own conclusions are erroneous. They often are. I don't profess to be a genius or anything.

People here seem to think that I dislike the man for pointing out my observations. And I've been repeatedly telling on this thread that I have nothing but the highest amount of respect towards Peter Capstick and his contribution towards the safari industry.

The original poster asked a question and I shared my observations. Some other members questioned my observations (which they have full right to do) and I went on to explain why I stand by my observations. It's as simple as that.

And it's entirely possible that I could be wrong. I'll be the first to admit it. What @baxterb said is entirely plausible.

Anyway, I can see when my comments on a particular topic are unwelcome. That's my mistake. I apologize. I won't comment on any Peter Capstick related thread on these forums again. I apologize.

Last edited:
@Hunter-Habib, please don't refrain from commenting on any topic including PHC. Your insights and experience are an invaluable resource for this forum. I just found it odd you wouldn't let that one minor inconsistency go. I'm still a fan.

It may have already been said, not going to go thru this whole thing again, but it strikes me that the only guy who knows PHC's experience's best isnt talking.

An observation on this topic, opinions seem to run the whole spectrum but most agree Capstick was a talented story teller. For us American football fans I feel like we’re in a booth review of an controversial play, people see the same play but see the outcome differently.
This may be controversial to some but @Hunter-Habib is probably the guy in the booth. IMO uses research and logic to come to his conclusions.

Alright, @Bonk

I understand & I'll let this go.

But before I do, I'll answer your question. The man has faced accusations of exaggerating his claims by more than one independent account (including a person who hunted with him and is a friend of mine).

The original poster asked if Peter Capstick was genuine or a fraud. I offered my insight that he was definitely a licensed white hunter but that I was also of opinion that some of his claims were not truthful. I offered my reasonings for coming to my conclusion based on the things that I can decipher from Peter Capstick's writings.

The shotgun inconsistency was the first one that came to my mind, so I posted it here for others to see and come to their own conclusions. Maybe my own conclusions are erroneous. They often are. I don't profess to be a genius or anything.

People here seem to think that I dislike the man for pointing out my observations. And I've been repeatedly telling on this thread that I have nothing but the highest amount of respect towards Peter Capstick and his contribution towards the safari industry.

The original poster asked a question and I shared my observations. Some other members questioned my observations (which they have full right to do) and I went on to explain why I stand by my observations. It's as simple as that.

And it's entirely possible that I could be wrong. I'll be the first to admit it. What @baxterb said is entirely plausible.

Anyway, I can see when my comments on a particular topic are unwelcome. That's my mistake. I apologize. I won't comment on any Peter Capstick related thread on these forums again. I apologize.
Please don't let it go.
I'm a big fan of his writing fiction or not.
However I'm also curious and open minded about who he was or was not.
Unfortunately in every platform there are lot of single minded people and to them everything is either white or black. This can be readily observed in the political section of this forum.
I'm hoping there are others like me who doesn't like to be in an echo chamber and are open to reading and learning from the opposing views as well.

PHC hunted here in the Patagonia near Choele Choel town mostly geese ,but he loved our dogos argentinos dogs ,he called them White Angels and while hunting here Day of Trevelin a famous dogo was killed.The grandfather of my wife Francisco Garrido was there as a guide working for the PH Amadeo Bilo.To make the historie short they respected PHC as a shooter and pig sticker.This episode was in the book Death at Silent places

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelBen

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com