Peter Capstick...who knows the truth?

"Death in the Long Grass"... the book partly responsible for my adventures in Africa was given to me when I was about 10. I wasn't a good reader so round two with the book at 13 years of age had me hooked.
Many of the tales that enthralled me then still do now. My BS meter went off a few times, even at 13. By 33, after years in the bush, I had some of the same stories i didn't believe 100% as a kid play out before my very eyes! Capstick was an amazing author and I imagine a hell of a lot of fun to share a cruiser or a camp fire with.

So I guess my point is - dont be disheartened or disappointed. Obviously not every hunting story written would stand up in a court of law, neither would every nonsensical accusation of a mans experience. Many times Capstick credits other PHs as he writes, he is also so damn good at telling a story the reader misses that part (sometimes). Did he guide all the hunts he writes about himself, probably not. Is he responsible for more than a generation of big game hunters, probably so.

The truth...who knows! Ive told my clients many times after the dust settles that is their safari, their story!

My advise is go to Africa, see what Capstick saw, write it down... Your grandkids will get a kick out of it one day.

I could care less if he embellished his stories or not, because along with "Hunter" by JA Hunter, PHC had the greatest influence on my young life and ignited the passion that I have for Africa. He wrote "death in the Long Grass" in 1977 and I read "Hunter" a few years before that. I'm now 58.
I will be forever grateful to him for that.

As a side note, I wrote him a letter when I was 15 years old and he promptly wrote me back! I STILL have that letter.

RIP PHC!

All writers take a bit of poetic license in their stories to add a little interest. If they wrote strictly true facts it would make for a rather boring tome. The facts are there, just enhanced in some instances.

Both Ruark and Capstick were alcoholics...but in fairness Ruark sailed in the north atlantic convoys so I dont blame him for nursing his nerves.. I salute him for that service..

Both have contributed A LOT to african hunting with their writings and thus probably saved african hunting.. Personally I think that Capstick was the most entertaining writer..even if he exaggerated the danger of hunting Africa way to much.. ;)

Last edited:
Both Ruark and Capstick were alcoholics...but in fairness Ruark sailed in the north atlantic convoys so I dont blame him for nursing his nerves.. I salute him for that service..

Both have contributed A LOT to african hunting with their writings and thus probably saved african hunting.. Personally I think that Capstick was the most entertaining writer..even if he exaggerated the danger of hunting Africa way to much.. ;)
Hemingway was probably also one , can you imagine an AA meeting with those three in attendance.

After reading his books over and over agian through the years, I finally bought his dvd set last month.
All i can say is Wow ! Very captivating !
It put a more personal touch on things for me. To see him talk and hunt ?
I definitely recommend his dvd set !

20210321_170808.jpg

Would you know if these DVD’s or perhaps an online version (I don’t think I have a DVD player at home :D ) are still available somewhere?
I just checked Amazon and Ebay. Both show available for about 125 USD. I did see one set Used for 110 USD and one set listed for 125 USD but has "Make an Offer" option which allows for some offer capability so wouldn't hurt to make a reasonable offer. No idea about shipping to Belgium.

Would you know if these DVD’s or perhaps an online version (I don’t think I have a DVD player at home :D ) are still available somewhere?
There are some clips on youtube. Not sure how long they are or of they offer a full movie.

Well,I can say ive seen PHC’s books in more mainstream book stores than any other writer..... he was a fine recontuour (sp) and just made it fun, exciting and made you want to go on safari!

Interesting topic and responses. My opinion only, I owe a lot of my facination with Africa to Mr. Capstick. Growing up in less than ideal conditions, Edgar Rice Burroughs allowed me to escape my screwed up upbringing thru his series of books "Tarzan". Once I got older, the likes of Jack O'Conner and Elmer Keith took me to far away places with their writings. Then I picked up "Death in the Long Grass" by Mr. Capstick. He could make me "live" in his moments, true or not. I didn't and don't care. His style of writing has the ability to take you on a journey and be there as if you were there in person. Did he embelish his stories to make them "better"? Probably. Did Jack and Elmer do the same? Probably. 100% truth or not these men entertained me and thousands more. I actually owe it to Mr. Capstick, for fueling my desire to experience Africa. I have spent many a night around a campfire listening (and telling) hunting stories/memories. Were any of those emblished?? Damn straight.

Fritz - You are 100% right about Fiona. I met here at the Houston Safari Club Convention a few years ago. Very fine lady.
Brother...this almost brought a tear to my eye, as this hit home. This really resonated with me, as...it is essentially my story as well. Only difference is that my fascination with international travel and hunting all began with a book called "Look to the Wilderness" by W. Douglas Burden.

With a bit of luck and me living in Pretoria where Peter use to live his wife Fiona still does I got to meet her about 2 years after PHC death. She gave me two books that she signed soft covers. I think she knows that her husband could do a good story and add on to it but that did not lessen anyone's enjoyment of his books.

I also knew and still know a few people who were very good friends with him all of them from Pretoria and no one use to back out when he would be around to listen to his stories. Most also knew there was stories that didnt cover all the truth but he was a "Show man" and a gentleman.

Every PH in Africa should thank him for the business.

Spoke to George at Champlin today. He told me that he had sold Capstick a DR and that back in the day Capstick was referred to as “chapstick.” He also told me he was indeed a bartender.

I have hunted with an old PH who said he knew PHC well, and had hunted with him. This story was corroborated by a second old time PH. They knew several interesting anecdotes about Capstick, had a generally good opinion of him, and said he was indeed a PH. No harm in tending a little bar on the side....................FWB

Don't know why this topic continues to persist. First time I heard about it was from a PH in Namibia in 2004. I think his problem was he was a real bad-ass in the wars, he truly was, but Capstick had a bigger name. I got hooked on Africa long before Capstick ever authored a book, but I've read all of his, and enjoyed the way he turned a phrase: "the man who was about to die .. " I never had the pleasure of meeting Peter, but I've met Fiona and she's a real class act.

Is everything he wrote the God's honest gospel? Probably not. Was everything Ruark or Hemmingway wrote gospel? Read the book and enjoy it. Hunt and enjoy it.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and planning my first trip to Africa, which a number of people on this forum have been very helpful with. I recently had an article sent to me by a friend who knows of my fascination with Africa. The article clearly states that Peter H. Capstick, the famous author and I assumed PH, was just a bartender and never really a pro hunter. This is somewhat dis-heartening to a guy like me who owns his whole library ... and bought a whole bunch of other African novels he recommends in his stories. I spent many an hour while guiding whitewater trips across the western United States reading his novels around the campfire, which inspired me to not only travel to Africa someday to hunt, but also to write a novel based on my own (somewhat less dangerous) experiences as a guide. I have always guessed that his stories were a bit embellished, the better to sell novels with, but the idea that he could be a complete fraud is just not sitting right with me. I have a hunch that this topic may have been covered too many times, but I would like to know the truth...if anyone knows it. -Longbow

Just enjoy the story, especially if it inspires you to create your own story.

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and planning my first trip to Africa, which a number of people on this forum have been very helpful with. I recently had an article sent to me by a friend who knows of my fascination with Africa. The article clearly states that Peter H. Capstick, the famous author and I assumed PH, was just a bartender and never really a pro hunter. This is somewhat dis-heartening to a guy like me who owns his whole library ... and bought a whole bunch of other African novels he recommends in his stories. I spent many an hour while guiding whitewater trips across the western United States reading his novels around the campfire, which inspired me to not only travel to Africa someday to hunt, but also to write a novel based on my own (somewhat less dangerous) experiences as a guide. I have always guessed that his stories were a bit embellished, the better to sell novels with, but the idea that he could be a complete fraud is just not sitting right with me. I have a hunch that this topic may have been covered too many times, but I would like to know the truth...if anyone knows it.
-Longbow
Never met the man but know folks who did. Capstick had a writing style that made you feel like you were there hunting with him.. The man knew how to tell a story. Frankly there was a bit of jealousy involved with some of the local hunting outfits that an upstart american coming in as a licensed PH and booking clients based on his books. Maybe, maybe not. Frankly I think he was the real deal. I would have loved sitting at the fire with sundowners and enjoying a talk with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaughnHaa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com