Peter Capstick...who knows the truth?

@Hunter-Habib , read a previous post, most of his firearms were stolen from his house in Naples Florida, that explains the difference in shotguns on leopard, the Berreta, model 12 and model 1200. I think his William Evans .470 may have been stolen as well. Not 100% on the WE double though.

@Hunter-Habib , read a previous post, most of his firearms were stolen from his house in Naples Florida, that explains the difference in shotguns on leopard, the Berreta, model 12 and model 1200. I think his William Evans .470 may have been stolen as well. Not 100% on the WE double though.
Yes the Evans was stolen in the same burglary.

Yes, @Hunt anything
The William Evans .470 Nitro Express boxlock ejector was stolen as well. And replaced with a FAMARS .470 Nitro Express boxlock ejector that he bought from George Caswell.

I know about the theft. But see below. These pages are from ”The Last Safari” in 1984.
IMG_1096.jpeg
IMG_1097.jpeg

At the time of writing, Peter is talking about the different shotguns that he used over the years (in the past and at present).

Look at the last paragraph of page 119 and the first two paragraphs of page 120.

He says that he first used a Beretta over & under. And then, IMMEDIATELY switched to a Winchester Model 1200. No mention is ever made of him (at any point of his life) ever using a Winchester Model 12.

But in his works in the 1970s (which I don’t have with me at the moment), he says that he first used a Beretta over & under. And then, IMMEDIATELY switched to a Winchester Model 12. No mention was ever made of him using a Model 1200.

When I get back home tonight, I will post a few photos from Peter’s 1970s works as reference so that a contrast and comparison may be made.

You have peeked my curiosity, when I get home tonight I’ll pull out my copy and read it again.

Yes, @Hunt anything
The William Evans .470 Nitro Express boxlock ejector was stolen as well. And replaced with a FAMARS .470 Nitro Express boxlock ejector that he bought from George Caswell.

I know about the theft. But see below. These pages are from ”The Last Safari” in 1984.
View attachment 568623View attachment 568624
At the time of writing, Peter is talking about the different shotguns that he used over the years (in the past and at present).

Look at the last paragraph of page 119 and the first two paragraphs of page 120.

He says that he first used a Beretta over & under. And then, IMMEDIATELY switched to a Winchester Model 1200. No mention is ever made of him (at any point of his life) ever using a Winchester Model 12.

But in his works in the 1970s (which I don’t have with me at the moment), he says that he first used a Beretta over & under. And then, IMMEDIATELY switched to a Winchester Model 12. No mention was ever made of him using a Model 1200.

When I get back home tonight, I will post a few photos from Peter’s 1970s works as reference so that a contrast and comparison may be made.
So what? We are going to hold him accountable over the identity of a Winchester pump shotgun? He was writing literature not a deposition. I have no doubt my memories of my hunting experiences improve with the telling every year.

The same standard could be applied to Ruark, Hemingway, and certainly Patterson, but I would suggest it shouldn't be. Let the quality of the writing speak for itself.

I tend to believe things especially from people that know more than I do but only with a little research. Mainly because I’ve been accused of lying about different birds I’ve seen in the state of Alabama, mostly by the snobby birdwatching crowd. When I produce photo evidence they may believe me. Even though I have a wildlife degree and environmental health degree. As of now I have at least 2 first in state records and numerous 2nd in state records. Now they tend to believe me reluctantly. I try to give authors the same legitimacy as I would want.

So what? We are going to hold him accountable over the identity of a Winchester pump shotgun? He was writing literature not a deposition. I have no doubt my memories of my hunting experiences improve with the telling every year.

The same standard could be applied to Ruark, Hemingway, and certainly Patterson, but I would suggest it shouldn't be. Let the quality of the writing speak for itself.
@Red Leg

In my very first post on this thread, I did essentially write exactly what you are.
Post in thread 'Peter Capstick...who knows the truth?'
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/peter-capstick-who-knows-the-truth.8337/post-1138788

I’ll copy paste the last paragraph from my initial comment to this thread:

To conclude, Peter H. Capstick was definitely real. But his accounts weren’t always, and should be treated as interesting thrillers rather than as a “How to” guide for hunting dangerous game.”

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and planning my first trip to Africa, which a number of people on this forum have been very helpful with. I recently had an article sent to me by a friend who knows of my fascination with Africa. The article clearly states that Peter H. Capstick, the famous author and I assumed PH, was just a bartender and never really a pro hunter. This is somewhat dis-heartening to a guy like me who owns his whole library ... and bought a whole bunch of other African novels he recommends in his stories. I spent many an hour while guiding whitewater trips across the western United States reading his novels around the campfire, which inspired me to not only travel to Africa someday to hunt, but also to write a novel based on my own (somewhat less dangerous) experiences as a guide. I have always guessed that his stories were a bit embellished, the better to sell novels with, but the idea that he could be a complete fraud is just not sitting right with me. I have a hunch that this topic may have been covered too many times, but I would like to know the truth...if anyone knows it.
-Longbow
Longbow, Peter Capstick might of been a Bartender but if he told “only the truth” in his books - who would want to read them? No author ever wrote a completely truthful hunting book —- like No Politician ever ran for office and got elected telling the truth. Why do you think there hunting adventures are so much more interesting & exciting then ours? Because they are heavily padded with “fiction”.....and that’s why I enjoy reading them too. If I want an honest accurate hunting adventure - I’ll recap one of my own.
About 15 years ago I was looking to book an Alaskan grizzly hunt and speaking to a Guide at the Harrisburg PA sportsman’s show. I had just read an article in a hunting magazine about a bow hunter that took a good brown bear with is Guide - the bow Hunter was also a well known outdoor writer. When I spoke with the Outfitter I recapped what I read and how “exciting” it was. The outfitter said “yeah, I read that article too - and I was also ‘The Guide’ on THAT Hunt - I never saw anything like what was written in that article !!!

In the series of videos Hunter Habib mentions filmed by sportsman on film with Ken Wilson, Peter shot only one animal and only fired Two rounds, a Cape buffalo that he fired the first shot and then his insurance shot. He wasn’t the main hunter on the videos, ken Wilson was. So what are “all the other animals” Jeff Rann had to shoot for the film?

I hardly think that something that could amount to a typographical error earns the man the title of “fraud”…….. it’s always easier to discredit a dead guy….. they can’t fight back.
John, If you read my first comment on this thread… Then, you’ll see that I’ve also written many good things about Peter Capstick. I’d never call him a fraud. Exaggerator, sure. Fraud, never.

I was just sharing my observations, that’s all. I wouldn’t call it a typographical error though. Sure, it’s very easy to mistype a Model 12 as a Model 1200, or vise versa (after all, it’s just a matter of adding or omitting two “zeros” while typing). But when the author is graphically describing the slam-fire feature of an early Winchester Model 12 and the “Win-Choke” feature of a Winchester Model 1200 (as Peter does in his books)… Then, I think that it’s safe to say that he clearly knew the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Capstick has been and will remain one of my all time favorite authors. I enjoy the writing style of his work regardless. Other authors have been accused of gilding the lily as well. Capstick was not alone in this. Harry Manners and John Taylor are a couple that come to mind. It doesn’t mean there is no value in their work to me.

I never had the opportunity to meet him in person.
I bear hunted in Alberta in the 1980’s. I met a gentleman in camp from Texas. He told me he had pulled strings to sit at a dinner at a convention with Capstick. I was told if I wanted to like Capstick, to just read his books. His time around him apparently in person gave him a negative outlook towards him. I won’t repeat the two word description he used although I doubt I ever forget it.

I didn’t buy his leather autographed editions when they were available either. Still don’t need them myself.

The fact I bought a second hand Whitworth .375 H&H while still in my early 20’s was due to his writing. That has been quite a number of years ago. I have been hunting with one ever since when the mood strikes. I have taken more game with a .375 than any other caliber. This is entirely because of Capstick’s work.

Hunting with my .416 Rigby tomorrow to maybe blood it before Africa. I guess I will have to blame Ruark for that.

Last edited:
In the series of videos Hunter Habib mentions filmed by sportsman on film with Ken Wilson, Peter shot only one animal and only fired Two rounds, a Cape buffalo that he fired the first shot and then his insurance shot. He wasn’t the main hunter on the videos, ken Wilson was. So what are “all the other animals” Jeff Rann had to shoot for the film?
Give me a day. I will ask Jeff and get back to you.

@K E Johnson, I’m in the boat with the guy you met in Texas, I have no desire to meat anyone that I enjoy their work, be it an author, musician, politician (if I could think of one) or athlete. I knew enough great athletes in another life and some are generous great people but some are the biggest A-holes I’ve ever met so I’ll just watch or listen to them and enjoy in ignorant bliss. There is a number of people on this site that I would love to sit down to dinner with and talk to though.

@K E Johnson, I’m in the boat with the guy you met in Texas, I have no desire to meat anyone that I enjoy their work, be it an author, musician, politician (if I could think of one) or athlete. I knew enough great athletes in another life and some are generous great people but some are the biggest A-holes I’ve ever met so I’ll just watch or listen to them and enjoy in ignorant bliss. There is a number of people on this site that I would love to sit down to dinner with and talk to though.
Hunt ANything , i agree, we don’t want to meet our “Hero’s”....what if Superman really couldn’t fly? Or Rock star Madonna isn’t still “a Virgin”?

I admit to never reading anything by any of the big name hunting writers. A few years before he died my dad bought me a copy of Keith's "Hell, I Was There" (did I get the title correct?). It was an interesting read but relatively little about hunting as I recall. Keith was very much full of himself, and that's okay.

If Capdtick had been a bartender at some point in his life, I wouldn't find fault with it. I was once a janitor, and I'm now considered quite the white hunter celebrity ... by my grandkids anyway. :D

I admit to never reading anything by any of the big name hunting writers. A few years before he died my dad bought me a copy of Keith's "Hell, I Was There" (did I get the title correct?). It was an interesting read but relatively little about hunting as I recall. Keith was very much full of himself, and that's okay.

If Capdtick had been a bartender at some point in his life, I wouldn't find fault with it. I was once a janitor, and I'm now considered quite the white hunter celebrity ... by my grandkids anyway. :D
Ontario, nothing wrong being a Bartender - I did it for 4 years after College before “real job” - most cash $$ I ever made and took me 10 years before I ever had more.... and Never had that many girls to date - amazing what unlimited Free Drinks can do.

Seriously, Madonna isn’t a virgin?
Now way???? Yer kidding right?????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunt4fun

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?