Overpriced Reloading Components?

Dragons breath through the vent window. That Will make them think. These 62 gr.green tips are hard on everything in the car.i was thinking of pulling green tips and loading them in a 22-250 or a swift. Now we're talkin.

Bob,
I like the idea of the slugs followed by buckshot. And, with the solids, if they're single file you might get several of them with a solid? You could teach a course on "roving gangs pulling up in your driveway and tactical maneuvers to counter the threat"? But, where would your .35 Whelen fit in? LOL
CEH
@CoElkHunter
The Whelen fits in anywhere. 225gr round nose should put big hole in bad guys

While at the DSC in January, I asked the guys at the Federal booth when they expect to start pumping out primers to the stores. Their reply, a year and half.
They make primers for not only Federal ammunition but also for all of the other ammunition makers that make ammo, but do not make there own primers, so the reloader is at the bottom of the priority list.
There is a company that bought the old Red River Army Depot up near Texarkana and they bought it just to mass produce primers. Probably be two years before it is up and running.

, I asked the guys at the Federal booth They make primers for not only Federal ammunition but also for all of the other ammunition makers that make ammo, but do not make there own primers,
To be clear, the guy from Federal wasn't saying that they make primers for Winchester, Remington and CCI- correct?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.44.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.44.51 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.44.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 9.44.52 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
To be clear, the guy from Federal wasn't saying that they make primers for Winchester, Remington and CCI- correct?
What he said was that there are a lot of ammunition manufacturers that make and sell ammunition, but those companies do not make their own primers. One that comes to mind for me would be Barnes. Makers of great ammunition, but they probably do not produce their own primers, thus relying on Federal, Winchester, or CCI to make the primers for them.
Winchester, Remington, and CCI make their own primers to go in their own ammunition, and no doubt, like Federal, sell primers to other companies that do not make their own primers.
He said those orders trump the need for them to push out large orders of 'bricks' solely for those that reload at home.
He said, when asked on when he thought that would happen, it would be another year, to a year and half, more realistically, the year and half.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.17 AM.png
    849.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.18 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.20 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.23 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 9.13.26 AM.png
    697.8 KB · Views: 91
I received an email from LG Outdoors saying they had some reloading components back in stock. From the looks of things, expensive powder is here to stay!

1649791620546.png

1649791697111.png

$600 for a jug of varget??? holy moly.

Short term, this is bad news. Longer term, who knows? I am wondering if the big suppliers like Midway, LG, Natchez, etc are getting tired of selling 8# kegs for $300, just to see resellers sell it on GB for 100% markup. Maybe the hoarding will slow down and one day we'll have a return to normalcy.

Short term, this is bad news. Longer term, who knows? I am wondering if the big suppliers like Midway, LG, Natchez, etc are getting tired of selling 8# kegs for $300, just to see resellers sell it on GB for 100% markup. Maybe the hoarding will slow down and one day we'll have a return to normalcy.

Hit the nail on the head there. A LGS here is selling small rifle primers for $130/1000. Ticked me off at first but then I thought, well why wouldn't they? Why sell them to me for $50 and then watch me triple or quadruple my money on GB, not that I have those plans?

I also don't know if this will ever truly end. I believe a lot of people are stocking up on this kind of thing for a future panic buying session like we have been in for the last two years. A good retirement income for some folks.

Stopped in LGS in Vandalia, Ohio a short while ago. Most 1 lb. canisters of powder were $40-$50. Retumbo was over $50.
They also had 8 lbs of H-1000 and H4350 for $370. Also available were Small Pistol, Small Pistol Magnum and Small Rifle primers, didn't ask on pricing but they were the most I've seen in a while.

I just wish someone had IMR 4064 back on the shelf.. Ive been checking weekly for the better part of the last 9 months, and have alerts set at all of the major retailers... nada...

90% of everything I load for either gets H110 or IMR 4064...

Ive got enough H110 on hand to last me for the next probably 6-8 years based on my shooting habits..

Ive got maybe 2 years worth of IMR 4064...

Im going to have to slow down a bit, change powders, or keep praying that one day 4064 will show back up on the shelf at any reasonable price..

Primers, brass, and bullets Im not worried about.. Im set pretty much across all calibers there..

Powder however is a different story..

These are the prices for primers that LG has in stock.

View attachment 461744
@375Ruger Fan
That's a rip off. 6 weeks ago I bout 1,000 BR4 small rifle primers for $119AUD and 1,000 Remington small rifle primers for $99AUD.
Problem is now try and get then in Australia. My gunshop thought he was getting more in a few weeks only to be told it might be 12 months or more.. Lucky for me right spot at the right time for a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julieta56R

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia