Overpriced Reloading Components?

I may be wrong, but I've always used a #2 for 30-06 sized cases. A #3 will work but it is more specifically sized for rimmed 30-30 case sizes. Either one will work for the 308/30-06 based cases but the #3 is very slightly loose so may swage over the top of the rim if the sizer withdrawl gets "sticky".

Just a thought... Also, I've got several extra #2s and I'd be happy to send you one for only the cost of shipping- but even flat rate shipping is at least a couple times the value of the shellholder! You might try Fleabay. I see several choices on there for $10-15 shipped.
Thanks for the offer. I haven't tried local gun stores yet so I'll give that a try first. I also need to look through boxes of parts (doesn't everyone have these!) to see if I might already have one.

Looking for that #3 shell holder, I tried Grafs, Cabela's, BassPro (same thing), Brownells, and Midway. I need to start searching harder for the niche sellers.
Redding will fit RCBS, Lee and Redding.

Redding will fit RCBS, Lee and Redding.
MidSouth Shooting Supply had the Redding and that is exactly what I bought.

I also went through every die set I had and ordered the appropriate shell holder if it was available regardless of brand. I don't know when I'll be loading .35 Remington but by God I'll have the shell holder for it! :)

On the shell holders I have one for every set of dies that I purchase. I could care less if the #4 fits 3 of my die sets, I have 3 #4 shell holders. Same with the #2 for the 06. I have one in my 06 dies and one in my 25-06 dies.

On using the Rockchucker for the 416 Remington, I have learned with tall cases the finesse of being able to place the brass with the bullet partially into the die to seat the bullet or even the case neck into the die before resizing.
Yes it is a careful process with the 416 lol.

I was watching some Hornady 7mm 175 gr ELD-X bullets on auction at GB. Two boxes of 100, so 200 bullets in all. I bid a little over $200 or a $1/bullet with about 3 hours to go in the auction. Shortly after that, 2 or 3 fake or desperate buyers had a bidding frenzy and the final bid and shipping cost put the final price at nearly $600 for 200 bullets. $3/bullet!

1644242797629.png

In my experience and knowledge about gunshops, there are more than a few shill bids on GB's auctions. Items/guns get sold and a day later, the same thing is back up for auction again by the same seller.
Tipoff for me is bids from those with NR (no rating) and unverified bidders. Been buying and selling on their of about fifteen years and it's gotten worse to the point of just using the buy it now ads.

Didn't notices this was a year old thread so I probably repeated myself. It is getting worse though.

Last edited:
An old thread more pertinent now than when it was started! I’ve noticed a product will show up for instance on midway then a day later it sells out for $50. Four days later the local guys magically have that same product for $100. I have found some things on e bay from time to time for a good deal. . .

@375 Ruger Fan, Watch for these to pop up again, same photos, same bidders and possibly same seller.

In my experience and knowledge about gunshops, there are more than a few shill bids on GB's auctions. Items/guns get sold and a day later, the same thing is back up for auction again by the same seller.
Tipoff for me is bids from those with NR (no rating) and unverified bidders. Been buying and selling on their of about fifteen years and it's gotten worse to the point of just using the buy it now ads.

Didn't notices this was a year old thread so I probably repeated myself. It is getting worse though.
I too have noticed a lot more NR and unverified bidders jacking the prices up lately. I believe many of these unscrupulous sellers are using "phantom" bidders to do this. With GB collecting sales tax now and many of the sellers charging a credit card fee (what LOCAL retailer does that?) and PLUS shipping, I'm about done with them. Any potential savings has now evaporated like wisps of cordite.

I was watching some Hornady 7mm 175 gr ELD-X bullets on auction at GB. Two boxes of 100, so 200 bullets in all. I bid a little over $200 or a $1/bullet with about 3 hours to go in the auction. Shortly after that, 2 or 3 fake or desperate buyers had a bidding frenzy and the final bid and shipping cost put the final price at nearly $600 for 200 bullets. $3/bullet!

View attachment 451323
Absurd! But, I've seen this same scenario play out a number of times on GB, and more frequently recently.

@375 Ruger Fan, Watch for these to pop up again, same photos, same bidders and possibly same seller.

The winning bidder had an A+ rating, but only one transaction to their credit. The other bidder had an A+ rating and 7 transactions completed. I look at the items that person won and $200 for 1000 primers, $90/lb for powder was common.

I blame COVID. IMO some outlandish prices may be due to some dealers capitalising through profiteering in the wake of the worldwide epidemic.

I drove into the city the other day and stopped off at several stores. It seems that components (and loaded ammunition) are starting to trickle back onto the market, at least in some of the more popular calibers. There was very little inventory at Cabelas, but they did have two boxes of large pistol primers which a friend purchased. The local (independent) gun store also had very little in the way of components, but I managed to score a box of .375 Nosler Accubonds at a pre-pandemic price. They also had some ammunition, but mostly in calibers that I don't use. The one store with a fairly good inventory was Scheels. They had a fairly good stockage of bullets from Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra in the small- and mid-bore sizes. Surprisingly, they also had powder -- H110, Bullseye, and a couple of the VV's. Powder prices seemed to be in the $31-33/lb. range, regardless of whether it was a 1# canister or an 8# jug. In addition to the usual ammunition (9mm, 40mm, 5.56, and 7.62) they had a fair selection of the mid-bore calibers in major brands (mostly Remington and Federal).

So it appears that ammunition and components are starting to find their way back onto the market, at least in some quantity. Prices of course, were elevated from pre-pandemic levels.

Last edited:
I’ve seen some crazy asking prices for reloading stuff lately, but these two items actually sold last night on GB. I contacted the seller of the dies after they sold. He was amazed too and told me he just wanted $30 for the dies?

View attachment 383971View attachment 383972
I know. Just for me I choose to always offer my stuff to our members at below market prices versus selling on GB. Yes I know I could make much more money there but I feel a kinship here on AH versus whatever the market will bear on GB. This is not meant as criticism by anyone who wants to sell on GB just my POV

I know. Just for me I choose to always offer my stuff to our members at below market prices versus selling on GB. Yes I know I could make much more money there but I feel a kinship here on AH versus whatever the market will bear on GB. This is not meant as criticism by anyone who wants to sell on GB just my POV
+1! I've only sold a box of bullets here on AH and gave more away to members. I don't have much, but if I'm not going to use an item, I just ask the price I paid for them plus shipping, if I charge at all. I would prefer to sell/give something to a member who REALLY needs it and not just hoard it away with the other 10,000 items they haven't seen in ten years!

View attachment 451323
There are levels of retardation, and this counts as Grand Master. $3 for ELD-X???

I'd pay that for Swift or similar. Hornady? No freaking way.

I was looking at Swift online and they have nearly nothing. I have a hard time believing people are hoarding large caliber bullets but they must be. Hard running a business with nothing to sell.
Next question is when they do get stock is how many are going to hoard and drive them out again?
I know people with stocks of components that they couldn’t use if they lived five lifetimes because the can of powder they’re currently loading from is the same can they were using 10 years ago. ‍

I was looking at Swift online and they have nearly nothing. I have a hard time believing people are hoarding large caliber bullets but they must be. Hard running a business with nothing to sell.
Next question is when they do get stock is how many are going to hoard and drive them out again?
I know people with stocks of components that they couldn’t use if they lived five lifetimes because the can of powder they’re currently loading from is the same can they were using 10 years ago. ‍

I just phoned Swift after looking at their website and seeing "out of stock" for most bullets.

They actually had some 7mm 160 gr A Frames in stock and 1 box of 404 in 400 gr. So I latched onto those.

The lady I spoke with was extremely nice and helpful. She had no idea when things might get back to normal and she added that raw materials supply chain issues were the cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodGirardi

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia