Lockable ammo container

Nice! Where/how did you have it laser engraved?
Phillip - not faulting your advice, but it seems to be a moving target. I will seek some professional guidance from Patrick Wright at TWG. I'm routed Tucson - Dallas - Qatar - Arusha and return same stops. American Airlines seems to be the bottle neck... no perks for First Class, I expect. I only have about 1-1/2 million miles on AA. For the cost, they should allow a bazooka and unlimited rounds.

I'm going with the TuffPak and Pelican 1200 Case. Eleven pounds works out to about 60 rounds .404J and 60 rounds of .375 H&H. Angelides asked me to bring more .404 than .375 since he has .375 H&H 'in camp' but no .404. How much ammo will I need for a 21 day, 2 - 4 buff and general bag hunt?
You are all set with both your ammo and your excellent travel agent Patrick! Seriously three boxes of each will handle any scenario you will encounter. You have the moving target covered with Patrick. But just like him I am following these things regularly and I have three safaris this year. RSA, Zim, & Tanzania.
Have an awesome safari and I look forward to the report.
Regards,
Philip

Have you every had ammo weighted? I never have that I know of.
At Bloemfontein, I had some uniformed, pistol packing airport security guard actually count my ammo, one at a time in a fifty round box. Had to keep reminding myself, this is Africa.

LOL. I'm nearly drowning in Pelican cases. Might as well use them.
I have quite a nice selection myself! I already had a lot them then started buying more on EBay to just see exactly what fit in what. Of course I am advising scores of hunters annually and have to not just satisfy myself but truly help others achieve their dream hunt. I love the Pelican suitcase although I do have to pack carefully to make it work. It makes me keep getting rid of what I don’t really need. And, unlike others, I take a fairly small backpack on the plane!
If any of you mention a new Pelican case you are likely to cost me money.
Regards,
Philip

"blue balls"? OK, your scaring me now. LOL
Good grief, did this thread go downhill.
e-big-grin.gif

Get a male, blue balls.
That’s the plan. I’ve had so many chances over the years and never hunted them. Tried one day last year but they had hunted baboons in the area and scared them off. Plan is to get one to mount in June.
Philip

"blue balls"? OK, your scaring me now. LOL
Just wait until we get there then you will know what we are talking about. June can’t get here soon enough! Can’t wait to hunt with you.
Philip

At Bloemfontein, I had some uniformed, pistol packing airport security guard actually count my ammo, one at a time in a fifty round box. Had to keep reminding myself, this is Africa.
Yea in Namibia I had to help them. Ma’am it is 20 rounds per box so we can just multiply. It’s Africa! Roll with it.

Back on task, I've been packing my SKB to whatever limit the airline/seat class allows. Two rifles, leatherman, binos, rangefinder, bipod, slings, cleaning rod, spare action parts, extra magazines, etc. Never had a problem.
Pelican 1200, same deal, ammo and anything else to make the 5 kilos total weight, goes in the checked bag along with nothing of value, mostly clothes. Never had a problem. Carry-on & backpack gets the meds, valuables, reading/listening material. Never had a problem. A lot of things I used to bring like spare batteries and snacks, I just stop at a local store at final destination.

Edit: After a couple trips, one learns what not to bring.

Your statement is a common one, but it is not correct. They have really cracked down on commingling of things. ...

Bag 2 - Max of 11lbs of ammunition, maximum total weight 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business) of JUST YOUR AMMO. ...
Where are you getting this from? The only airlines I am aware of that make you have ammo travel on its own are the local ones out of Johannesburg.

My 11 lbs Pelican 1200 was in my checked bag on my round trip Emirates flight to Harare this past August.

I'm concerned about my upcoming trip and your comments re only rifles in tuffpak. Is this a written regulation or random decision by a TSA person or overseas offical? In the past I've always put lots of items, clothes etc in tough sack that goes inside the tuff pak. If a written reg can you direct me to the site. Thank you
I moved on just because of the hassle factor. TSA guy wanted to check the bottom of the case, not just the firearms. So, I had to take everything out, let him inspect it then put everything back and I was holding up the line. This was for a domestic flight round trip to SD with shotguns.

So, for Africa last year I just used a takedown Pelican case with customized foam. It made both TSA, and CBP inspections easier ditto for all the weapon inspections in Zimbabwe.

Now, I had two other gentleman with Tuffpaks traveling with me and they did have everything but the kitchen sink in their bags. ;)

Where are you getting this from? The only airlines I am aware of that make you have ammo travel on its own are the local ones out of Johannesburg.

My 11 lbs Pelican 1200 was in my checked bag on my round trip Emirates flight to Harare this past August.
Emirates ORD to DXB to LUS to HRE and return, occasionally Zim Air HRE to BUL

Emirates ORD to DXB to JHB, then via SAA Airlink to VIC/BUL

Everyone on here seems to think I’m a worry-wart and a stickler. As evidence for the “F around and find out” last March they detained my ten year old for 4 hours at the Dubai police station because he had a spent 7x64 cartridge in his Bino harness in his carry-on from a prior hunt. Not a live round, one empty piece of brass.

I splurged on my lockable box to carry my ammo in for my next safari.

It is big enough for at least 4 20 round plastic boxes that are used for reloads and if you had the cardboard boxes you may get a couple more. I'll use some foam to keep things from rattling around and I plan on getting some florescent paint to do it up right for when it needs to travel along side of my rifle case. I may even make a plaque with my name and information on it out of some aluminum and then rivet it onto the box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.20.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.20.03 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.20.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.20.09 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
You are all set with both your ammo and your excellent travel agent Patrick! Seriously three boxes of each will handle any scenario you will encounter. You have the moving target covered with Patrick. But just like him I am following these things regularly and I have three safaris this year. RSA, Zim, & Tanzania.
Have an awesome safari and I look forward to the report.
Regards,
Philip
Thanks, Phillip. I like to anticipate problems and be ready if they materialize. Should n=be a good hunt.

I have used a Pelican 1150. It usually rides in the checked suitcase, but for some reason the South Africans make me check it on the way home. I'm glad I bought the Pelican rather than the MTM I originally purchased.

Last edited:
I have used a Pelican 1150. It usually rides in the checked suitcase, but for some reason the South Africans make me check it on the way home. I'm glad I bought the Pelican rather than the MTM I originally purchased.
Did you have to check it as a separate item ALL the way home to Canada or just in Africa?

Philip,
I completely agree and am just factoring in the idiots and Murphy, so MY ammo and box WILL be under 11lbs. Wondering what would happen if somebody did actually weigh it and it was over the limit? Leave a box of ammo at the airport?
Mark
I would think, at most, pull out enough individual cartridges to get under the limit if some nimrod actually weighed it and squawked. Good luck on your hunt also.
This has been an interesting thread. @Philip Glass, thanks for the detailed info. It helps with the planning for certain.

Nice! Where/how did you have it laser engraved?

Hi, I did not mean to ignore you...

As another stated, a local trophy shop. Actually, it is advertised as a laser engraving shop. They make a lot of neat personalized stuff.

The laser left an awful lot of fiberglass fuzz around every engraved letter. I scraped it off with a bit of work using a razor blade glass scraper. Then I used white Testor's model paint to fill in the letters.
I did the same thing to my Pelican rifle case.

If you can't find a laser engraver locally, send me a PM and I will send you the contract info for my local Michigan shop. They charged me less than a hundred dollar bill for two cases. One could purchase a case for delivery to any laser shop. Once engraved, the ship could ship it to the client.

Emirates ORD to DXB to LUS to HRE and return, occasionally Zim Air HRE to BUL

Emirates ORD to DXB to JHB, then via SAA Airlink to VIC/BUL

Everyone on here seems to think I’m a worry-wart and a stickler. As evidence for the “F around and find out” last March they detained my ten year old for 4 hours at the Dubai police station because he had a spent 7x64 cartridge in his Bino harness in his carry-on from a prior hunt. Not a live round, one empty piece of brass.
That will get one busted anywhere in carry on anywhere. A buddy got called to the back room at Bloemfontein when a loose .243 round was found in his checked bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RademanFrancois

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt