Lockable ammo container

No, the case and locks probably weigh more than 11bs empty. They weigh the ammo. Must be less than 11bs.

I recommend they very biggest ammo box you can get since you’re paying for it to ride solo and the smaller it is, the greater odds it’s overlooked. Baggage handlers aren’t used to seeing tiny bags

The 5kg or 11 lbs of ammo gets different treatments from different airlines and countries. I have always use a small Pelican, usually the 1200, and then put it in my checked bag. In RSA, they make you remove it from the check bag and it goes seperately, but have not been charged for an addittional bag.

This is directly off of Delta's website:

Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
  • One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
  • The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
  • Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
  • One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
  • One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
  • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

This is off of the United website:

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
  • The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
  • The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
  • The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.

I flew Qatar last September to Tanzania. I use a Cabelas pistol case that holds Two 50 round RCBS plastic shell holder for 375. With Qatar and Virgin Atlantic the ammo box goes in my luggage bag. I have never checked it separately except for SAA from JNB to Kimberly or PE!

I always fly delta from Montana to joberg and I always put my ammo in a locked Plano box inside my checked luggage.
It was my understanding that only South African Air required the ammo to be checked separately.
So if I am not flying beyond Joberg I can put my ammo in my checked luggage with my clothes ?

I always fly delta from Montana to joberg and I always put my ammo in a locked Plano box inside my checked luggage.
It was my understanding that only South African Air required the ammo to be checked separately.
So if I am not flying beyond Joberg I can put my ammo in my checked luggage with my clothes ?
Correct

Pelicans are great. Negrini have built in locks

I am searching for a small lockable container that meets air travel rules. I have been using a old camera case but it is big and bulky. Something that would hold two boxes of 375. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, JP
The key is light plastic given some airlines weigh your ammo and the container can contribute significantly to the weight. I go to Cabellas and buy their plastic ammo lockable containers

That may be, but the TSA locks aren’t any more secure than a twist tie. It would be naive to think that there are any baggage handlers or other behind-the-scenes airport personnel that don’t possess or have access to a TSA master key. If given the opportunity, I will use a real lock every time.

Sure, I get that, makes complete sense.

I just don't have the concern over luggage many others do. I have taken well over 1000 commercial flights in my life, many those to places other than first world countries, twice I have had my bags broken into and stuff stolen. Both times it was when my bags were being held my local police, there is nothing going to stop someone from taking your crap if they want it. I don't even bother trying anymore, if I keep up my pace of once every 500ish flights, I can live with that.

The logic of the laws and rules is helpful to understand.

-why do guns have to be locked with secure non-tsa locks and why can’t they have clothes or other items in the same case?

a.) when you swear you packed the bag and you fly with the gun, if they see something sketchy only you have a key. They make you open it and they can prosecute saying “only you had access, you put the rocket launcher in that case”.

b.) they get confused. Not our best and brightest. If they can’t figure out what is in the gun case, they must bolt cutter the locks. If they cut the locks, it can’t fly. Hence, anything in that case not a rifle invites cutting the locks so they can figure out whether it was C4 pastique or bundled up underwear they are seeing on the scanner of your gun case.

Regarding ammo, emirates and RSA both want it flying separately from checked bags. They don’t allow the ammo inside your larger checked bag.

*** bonus trivia. Any bag with a locked zipper can be broken into undetectably. Never use zippers. All the crook does is stab the zipper with a ballpoint pen and they are in. They rob you, then just slide the locked zipper back and forth until it realigns to the zipper track. You see a locked, intact case and do not believe you were robbed, but you were.

I am searching for a small lockable container that meets air travel rules. I have been using a old camera case but it is big and bulky. Something that would hold two boxes of 375. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, JP
Pelican 1200. Get it on EBay for $25 lightly used.

Sure, I get that, makes complete sense.

I just don't have the concern over luggage many others do. I have taken well over 1000 commercial flights in my life, many those to places other than first world countries, twice I have had my bags broken into and stuff stolen. Both times it was when my bags were being held my local police, there is nothing going to stop someone from taking your crap if they want it. I don't even bother trying anymore, if I keep up my pace of once every 500ish flights, I can live with that.
Yancy
exactly! I use TSA locks because if they want to cut them they will cut them. But I can go to the lounge while others are standing around ringing their hands wondering if someone needs their key or combo. If they can’t find you they may not cut the locks they may just keep your rifle case! 15 trips to Africa and it works for me!
I am using the heavy duty Snap Safe TSA locks now.
Funny how this subject gets people riled up?
Philip

This is my Pelican 1200 Ammo Box
My Name, Address, and Cell/What's App number is laser engraved into the box.

Why?, "Plan for the worst, hope for the best!"
- Traveling from South Africa to Zim on AirLink the ammo has to be removed from my large suitcase.
-- At any stop in travel some dim whit may require the ammo box be removed from the suitcase. Okay Bozo's, my ammo is ready for you!
-- The larger than necessary orange box makes it harder to ignore, or hide in some nook or cranny in the baggage compartment.
-- My name and address make it easier to identify as mine, a passenger on the manifest.
-- My cell/What's App number make it easier for an official to contact me. They probably want a tip.

Finally, it holds 80 rounds of .458 Win/Lott which by itself, weighs just under 11 lbs/5 kg.

Ammo in Box-1c.jpg

Ammo Box-1b.jpg

I keep my defensive ammo in plastic ammo boxes from Walmart. Still in original packaging. Steel cans are IMO too much extra weight, and I don't ship ammo or transport it in a war zone, so don't need that kind of durability.

Training ammo I keep, also in original packaging, just stacked in the closet for me to grab some on my way to the range.

Just me and my wife in our loft, so don't have to worry about kids or anyone else getting into it.

I keep my defensive ammo in plastic ammo boxes from Walmart. Still in original packaging. Steel cans are IMO too much extra weight, and I don't ship ammo or transport it in a war zone, so don't need that kind of durability.

Training ammo I keep, also in original packaging, just stacked in the closet for me to grab some on my way to the range.

Just me and my wife in our loft, so don't have to worry about kids or anyone else getting into it.
You need a hard sided lockable container for air travel

Buy a metal cash box, a hasp and staple and suitable size padlock.
Drill and fix the hasp and staple. And fit the lock.
That’s what I have used for years, going to South Africa

The logic of the laws and rules is helpful to understand.

Regarding ammo, emirates and RSA both want it flying separately from checked bags. They don’t allow the ammo inside your larger checked bag.

*** bonus trivia. Any bag with a locked zipper can be broken into undetectably. Never use zippers. All the crook does is stab the zipper with a ballpoint pen and they are in. They rob you, then just slide the locked zipper back and forth until it realigns to the zipper track. You see a locked, intact case and do not believe you were robbed, but you were.

I flew to RSA last January with my ammo in a locked box, inside my hard bow case. A pretty large checked bag. No issues coming or going. And they don't care if bow cases are packed with clothes and such, mine was.

Also, while I agree how easy the zipper is to break in (and I have a hard shell piece with a hard edge because of it) it' only undetected on bags where the zipper pulls aren't locked into the piece. A lot of luggage has a zipper lock on the edge. In order to move those zippers around they have to cut the pull tabs at the lock too. And now your bag has been broken in to and the only weak security lock it had is broken.

Good day sir. I've used a small pelican on occasion but do check the regs for the country you're going to or transiting through. I believe South Africa requires a metal ammo box (lockable) and I've always packed mine in my checked bag. 5 kilos max weight. I've started using a metal ammo box sold by a major supplier here in the states. Jim specializes in supplying African hunters. Hope this has been of some help.
There is no requirement anywhere that I know of for a metal ammo box.

Your statement is a common one, but it is not correct. They have really cracked down on commingling of things. Tuffpacks that had rifles plus clothes as padding get seized now. Ammo inside your normal luggage also gets seized.

The letter of the law airline rules are as follows, subject to any whims or differences a particular airport, carrier, or TSA/CBP office wishes.

Your checked baggage is:

Bag 1 - Max of 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business/first) for your rifles. ONLY rifles may be in this bag, not socks, knives, etc. Just guns. The locks must be durable NON-TSA locks that only you possess the key for in your possession. EVERY SINGLE hole on the case that has a place for a lock must indeed possess a lock.

Bag 2 - Max of 11lbs of ammunition, maximum total weight 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business) of JUST YOUR AMMO. Which makes it a horrible deal because you are burning your entire checked baggage limit for ammunition. The ammo must be secured with TSA approved locks only. We bend the rules ever so slightly by putting our culling belts, ammo pouches, and our knives in the same pelican 1450 ammo container. *Reminder, always carry 2x the TSA required locks because they reserve the right to open the locks but they are slobs and they break the locks. Now that the locks are broken, they cannot permit the bag to fly. TWICE I've had to put new locks on after TSA animals destroyed the locks because they aren't intelligent enough to use their own master keys so they pry.

Your carry on baggage is:

Bag 3 - Maximum of 12lbs, maximum size of a carry-on bag. We break this rule every time but emirates has been great about our trespass over the past 8-9 safaris. We have an orvis duffle bag (gym bag size) that is canvas with a leather bottom and unstructured. I kid you not, we carry on 70-100lbs in this bag. It contains 50 lithium batteries because lithium can only be carry-on. It contains the binos, rangefinders, and rifle optics, all wrapped in Shemaghs for extra protection, then inserted into socks for even more padding. 2-3 shirts. 2-3 pants. 3 underwear. 1 spare hat. Sample size toiletries. And whatever 50lbs of stuff you're bringing over for the Africans.

Bag 4 - Your "Purse" or personal item. Has to be laptop bag / purse sized. It contains phones, chargers, ipad, flashliights, and the bungee cords that we use to lash Bag 2,3,4 on top of bag 1 to roll it all through the airport. Also contains your permits and papers which amount to at least 2lbs alone.

If you have a second hunter flying with you, thank god, because you're out of room with very little stuff if you're flying solo. BOTH your checked bags get occupied with guns and ammo respectively so you're literally wearing whatever you can carry on for the whole safari. With an extra person, you can put lots of clothing, larger toiletries, etc in the additional checked bags.
Much disinformation here. Although I don’t like Tuffpak for many reasons it is only some European airlines that state rifle only in the gun case. This does not relate to Africa. Ammo goes in the suitcase anywhere in the world and is NOT seized! TSA locks can be used anywhere with no issues.
I don’t know wheeze some of you guys get your information but you need to stop spreading this BS here.
someone said you must use a metal ammo box! Complete BS in this thread today. 100lbs in your carry on? More power to you.
I’ve been to Africa 16 times now plus Europe and several times to Asia. I’ve done everything the same every time.
Regards,
Philip

Notwithstanding discrepancies in how TSA may operate, is the lockable case included in the 11 lb limit? I’ve been a bit confused by that and seen conflictong info. It seems contrary to include that, because that would obviously encourage or necessitate a small case to not use up all the weight in the case itself, but then a small case would make baggage handling burdensome and easy to lose track of something so much smaller than everything else around it.
You should be confused because these folks have no idea what they are talking about. Ammo limit is 11lbs of ammo! Ammo box goes in your suitcase locked and should be suitable to travel by itself if you take a regional or domestic flight in RSA. Get a Pelican 2 gun protector case, a Pelican 1200 ammo box, and Snap Safe TSA locks. Then go check out my packing and planning videos here and on YouTube. And take a breath! It will be ok if you listen to the right advice.
Regards,
Philip

Wow. Now I am re-thinking my packing for my Tanzania trip in September. So You have TWO checked bags (gun case and ammo case) and TWO carry-on bags (one a standard carry-on and another 'briefcase sized' bag? And you basically stuff everything (except guns and ammo) into the 'carry-on bags'?
No! Refer to my responses to this post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigA

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt