Lockable ammo container

The TSA lock thing isnt true anymore, I have 100s of domestic flights with checking firearms and the non-TSA locks being require hasn't been in place for several years.
Correct! Lots of BS here today.

I'm concerned about my upcoming trip and your comments re only rifles in tuffpak. Is this a written regulation or random decision by a TSA person or overseas offical? In the past I've always put lots of items, clothes etc in tough sack that goes inside the tuff pak. If a written reg can you direct me to the site. Thank you
Only Europe states rifle only in rifle case. NOTHING TO DO WITH AFRICA!

Wife and I combine ammo with her 300WM (40 cartridges) and my 375H&H (40 cartridges) in a Pelican 1200 box. Lock it and put it in our Pelican 1560 suitcase. More than enough ammo for the two of us for a 10 day (and probably up to 21 days) safari. We had no issues going to RSA or back to the US into IAD.

This is my Pelican 1200 Ammo Box
My Name, Address, and Cell/What's App number is laser engraved into the box.

Why?, "Plan for the worst, hope for the best!"
- Traveling from South Africa to Zim on AirLink the ammo has to be removed from my large suitcase.
-- At any stop in travel some dim whit may require the ammo box be removed from the suitcase. Okay Bozo's, my ammo is ready for you!
-- The larger than necessary orange box makes it harder to ignore, or hide in some nook or cranny in the baggage compartment.
-- My name and address make it easier to identify as mine, a passenger on the manifest.
-- My cell/What's App number make it easier for an official to contact me. They probably want a tip.

Finally, it holds 80 rounds of .458 Win/Lott which by itself, weighs just under 11 lbs/5 kg.

View attachment 452347
View attachment 452346
Nice! Where/how did you have it laser engraved?

Phillip - not faulting your advice, but it seems to be a moving target. I will seek some professional guidance from Patrick Wright at TWG. I'm routed Tucson - Dallas - Qatar - Arusha and return same stops. American Airlines seems to be the bottle neck... no perks for First Class, I expect. I only have about 1-1/2 million miles on AA. For the cost, they should allow a bazooka and unlimited rounds.

I'm going with the TuffPak and Pelican 1200 Case. Eleven pounds works out to about 60 rounds .404J and 60 rounds of .375 H&H. Angelides asked me to bring more .404 than .375 since he has .375 H&H 'in camp' but no .404. How much ammo will I need for a 21 day, 2 - 4 buff and general bag hunt?

Last edited:
Phillip - not faulting your advice, but it seems to be a moving target. I will seek some professional guidance from Patrick Wright at TWG. I'm routed Tucson - Dallas - Qatar - Arusha and return same stops. American Airlines seems to be the bottle neck... no perks for First Class, I expect. I only have about 1-1/2 million miles on AA. For the cost, they should allow a bazooka and unlimited rounds.

I'm going with the TuffPak and Pelican 1200 Case. Eleven pounds works out to about 60 rounds .404J and 60 rounds of .375 H&H. Angelides asked me to bring more .404 than .375 since he has .375 H&H 'in camp' but no .404. How much ammo will I need for a 21 day, 2 - 4 buff and general bag hunt?
I promise it really isn't a moving target. I use a Tuffpak both for international and domestic, have for years. I take the barrel lock off and use a TSA lock.

I always pack my ammo in my luggage, and always shoot all my ammo before I come home, so you don't need to deal with ammo on the return trip.

I promise it really isn't a moving target. I use a Tuffpak both for international and domestic, have for years. I take the barrel lock off and use a TSA lock.

I always pack my ammo in my luggage, and always shoot all my ammo before I come home, so you don't need to deal with ammo on the return trip.
I've never shot all my ammo on a trip, however I do like to gift my PH or guide with some if they would like it. I have yet for anyone to refuse such a gift. It's really no trouble at all (IMO) returning with a bit of leftover ammo.

I'm going with the TuffPak and Pelican 1200 Case. Eleven pounds works out to about 60 rounds .404J and 60 rounds of .375 H&H. Angelides asked me to bring more .404 than .375 since he has .375 'in camp' but no .404. How much ammo will I need for a 21 day, 2 - 4 buff and general bag hunt?
I weighed three boxes each and individually of 180gr .300WM and 225gr .338WM and it was 9.265lbs for the six boxes total. With the 2.95lb Pelican 1200 case I'd be over twelve pounds. With six boxes of your heavier cartridges I would think you would be WAY over 12lbs?

Wife and I combine ammo with her 300WM (40 cartridges) and my 375H&H (40 cartridges) in a Pelican 1200 box. Lock it and put it in our Pelican 1560 suitcase. More than enough ammo for the two of us for a 10 day (and probably up to 21 days) safari. We had no issues going to RSA or back to the US into IAD.
Am I copying you or are you copying me? Either way we have it together bud!

I've never shot all my ammo on a trip, however I do like to gift my PH or guide with some if they would like it. I have yet for anyone to refuse such a gift. It's really no trouble at all (IMO) returning with a bit of leftover ammo.

We are saying the same thing.

If you bring some back from Africa, you have to check it separate. I would rather shoot it all, or whatever than bother bringing some back.

I weighed three boxes each and individually of 180gr .300WM and 225gr .338WM and it was 9.265lbs for the six boxes total. With the 2.95lb Pelican 1200 case I'd be over twelve pounds. With six boxes of your heavier cartridges I would think you would be WAY over 12lbs?
Mark
Remember no matter what the uneducated ticket agent says IATA Regs state 11lbs of ammo. It says nothing of the box. I understand that ideally ammo and box target would be 11lbs to keep it simple as we deal with idiots traveling.

Wow Yancy lots of shooting for you! I bring back ammo most of the time.

Mark
Remember no matter what the uneducated ticket agent says IATA Regs state 11lbs of ammo. It says nothing of the box. I understand that ideally ammo and box target would be 11lbs to keep it simple as we deal with idiots traveling.

Have you every had ammo weighted? I never have that I know of.

Long range baboons and such....
Dial it up and let it fly. I love shooting baboons. Need a vervet monkey next time.

Mark
Philip,
I completely agree and am just factoring in the idiots and Murphy, so MY ammo and box WILL be under 11lbs. Wondering what would happen if somebody did actually weigh it and it was over the limit? Leave a box of ammo at the airport?
Mark

Am I copying you or are you copying me? Either way we have it together bud!
LOL. I'm nearly drowning in Pelican cases. Might as well use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RademanFrancois

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt