Leopard or elephant in 2025

Never thought about that but it’s definitely correct! The thing is: I REALLY want a leopard as long as it’s still importable to Europe/ Germany…
Then for sure prioritize leopard just make sure to have a plan for the children. Perhaps have them shoot bait, build blinds, etc and give them options regards sitting in the blind with you, etc, etc. 40 years from now that leopard on your wall is going to remind them of this trip and you want it to be a reminder of a great time they spent with dad.

Never thought about that but it’s definitely correct! The thing is: I REALLY want a leopard as long as it’s still importable to Europe/ Germany…
Bert The Turtle knows exactly what he is talking about. I am fortunate to be 65 and in awesome shape being able to walk all day. On my April elephant 7 day hunt put in over 100 miles of walking. I have saved my leopard to last…However Lon at Tokoloshe has now got me hooked on elephant hunting!!!

Thank you for all the offers, information and discussion. The choice is made and the hunt is booked. I’ll go for leopard in Namibia with Emile from Kou Kuas!
But I’ll definitely come back to some contacts for 2026!
I’m glad to have found this forum. It’s already the third trip I have booked after getting in touch via AH!
Best regards Agrarler

Thank you for all the offers, information and discussion. The choice is made and the hunt is booked. I’ll go for leopard in Namibia with Emile from Kou Kuas!
But I’ll definitely come back to some contacts for 2026!
I’m glad to have found this forum. It’s already the third trip I have booked after getting in touch via AH!
Best regards Agrarler
Great news and all of us on AH would love a hunting report, of course.

Dear community and especially sponsors of AH,

I’m looking for a hunt in autumn 2025. Target species should be leopard. My two oldest sons, next year 16 and 13, will join this trip like the other four safaris we’ve done so far. We hunted Zimbabwe and South Africa, each twice (trip reports are written on this side).

I’m a bit restricted with my budget since I’m trying to make one safari per year. That means expensive destinations like Tansania will be out of reach…
I already have a very good offer for leopard in Zim ( Matetsi), but with the restriction of not bringing in my own gun as a European, I still hesitate jumping on it (Last time in Zim the quality of the rental guns was not what I expected - a risk I don’t want to take when hunting leopard).

Please feel free to share your ideas and offers, I’m really looking forward to it.

As second option, if leopard is not doable, elephant could be a possibility to fit into budget.
Budget for the package is between 20 and 25k for Daily rates and trophy fee.

Best regards from Germany,

Agrarler
Good day we can help with Leopard i did send you a pm.

Not sure this is directly addressing your question, but I’d strongly advise doing elephant now and leopard in the future unless you really really want a leopard and are more or less indifferent to a leopard.

An elephant hunt involves a lot of walking. A leopard hunt involves a lot of sitting absolutely still and quiet in a blind. Old men tend to be less suited to long walks than they are to long sits, so putting off ann elephant hunt for a leopard hunt may turn out to be a mistake.

And teenagers are a lot more suited to long walks than long sits. A father and his teenage sons are a lot more likely to enjoy an elephant hunt than a leopard hunt.
Great Idea

Dear community and especially sponsors of AH,

I’m looking for a hunt in autumn 2025. Target species should be leopard. My two oldest sons, next year 16 and 13, will join this trip like the other four safaris we’ve done so far. We hunted Zimbabwe and South Africa, each twice (trip reports are written on this side).

I’m a bit restricted with my budget since I’m trying to make one safari per year. That means expensive destinations like Tansania will be out of reach…
I already have a very good offer for leopard in Zim ( Matetsi), but with the restriction of not bringing in my own gun as a European, I still hesitate jumping on it (Last time in Zim the quality of the rental guns was not what I expected - a risk I don’t want to take when hunting leopard).

Please feel free to share your ideas and offers, I’m really looking forward to it.

As second option, if leopard is not doable, elephant could be a possibility to fit into budget.
Budget for the package is between 20 and 25k for Daily rates and trophy fee.

Best regards from Germany,

Agrarler

I think you'd get the same answer from me, @Mtn_Infantry , @VertigoBE , and @Wahoo

Your budget and your requirements point to Zim. Vaughan Whitehead-Wilson of Mapassa safaris could do a hunt like that for your budget, and probably both leopard and elephant combined for just a little bit more than your budget. A second PH for your boys to hunt plains game would be a smart, affordable add-on.

P.S. - Their "loaner" gun for leopard is a Blaser R8.

I think you'd get the same answer from me, @Mtn_Infantry , @VertigoBE , and @Wahoo

Your budget and your requirements point to Zim. Vaughan Whitehead-Wilson of Mapassa safaris could do a hunt like that for your budget, and probably both leopard and elephant combined for just a little bit more than your budget. A second PH for your boys to hunt plains game would be a smart, affordable add-on.

I agree with @rookhawk.
Vaughan is mostly known for his leopard-over-hounds though. So you might want to hold out for that experience. Especially with your sons, would make for a very special experience.

His elephant hunting is top-notch as well. Hunting next to the Botswana border, gets you those nice, thick ivory and old bulls.

I really need to get my hunting report published...

I’ll be the 3rd to say Vaughan is great to hunt with. I’m in the same boat as you and trying to plan a dedicated Leopard Hunt. If I decide on Zim, my hunt will most certainly be with Vaughan. I tried unsuccessfully on a late end of year opportunity hunt in 2023 but took a great buffalo. I almost pulled the trigger on a similar opportunity this year but decided with Leopard being the focus, I was going to hold off for peak dates, vs the extremely hot November/December window which can make cats very tricky.

Vaughan hunts areas around Matetsi, as well as Matabele South, and other areas of Zim. Feel free to send a PM for more info I’ve hunted both Matetsi and Matabele South with him.

I’ll be the 3rd to say Vaughan is great to hunt with. I’m in the same boat as you and trying to plan a dedicated Leopard Hunt. If I decide on Zim, my hunt will most certainly be with Vaughan. I tried unsuccessfully on a late end of year opportunity hunt in 2023 but took a great buffalo. I almost pulled the trigger on a similar opportunity this year but decided with Leopard being the focus, I was going to hold off for peak dates, vs the extremely hot November/December window which can make cats very tricky.

Vaughan hunts areas around Matetsi, as well as Matabele South, and other areas of Zim. Feel free to send a PM for more info I’ve hunted both Matetsi and Matabele South with him.

And to "threadjack" the original post a little bit, I sure would like to "buy the camp" with AH members for 2025 and take over Vaughan's concession for all of our purposes. I'd like to spend time with fellow AH-ers and break bread each mealtime with all of you. I'd be happy surrendering our host as PH to others and my family will hunt with his business partner Garth Adams for the duration.

I only ask that I get to craft the dinner menus: Biltong, Boerwurst, Impala liver appetizers, and zebra schnitzel. You guys can have pick of the quota!

Sent you PM
THANK You

@Killo and @Agrarler to translate from foreigner internet speak.

You have to remember, there are two, and really only two amazing conservation models that have worked in the history of man. Model 1 is the American model founded by our president Teddy Roosevelt. It was called the "public trust wildlife doctrine" wherein the Americans decided our "crown jewels" were our natural resources. In America, the public owns in trust our wildlife and its held for their benefit with an organized off-take paid for by those that pay for licenses. The other is the Republic of South Africa that started with an extinct, desolate country and privatized land and allowed them to own anything fenced in by their property. From desolation in South Africa sprung private enterprise that saved hundreds of species of game by assigning them a private cash value.

Zimbabwe (formerly Southern Rhodesia) decided on the American model wherein their crown jewels belonged to the people. Thus, you pay for quota payable to the State or tribe and you pay a daily rate to the Operator and Professional Hunter. The result has been that their resources have been wisely managed. The negative in Zimbabwe is that there is not enough profit in wildlife to justify vast marketing dollars to invite you to hunt their wildlife sustainably. You will meet very few Zimbabwean professional hunters and guides at your regional hunting exhibitions because they lack the means to offer free hunts or deep discounts on game in exchange for marketing dollars to do conventions. They lack the financial resources to advertise to the extent that our friends in RSA can do with their private ownership of wildlife model. It doesn't make them lesser, it only means they lack the financial means to advertise.

Too long, didn't read. The USA's wildlife model is wonderful. So is RSAs. So is Zimbabwes. You just need to understand why some groups cannot donate and advertise their offerings to the same financial level as one another.

@Killo and @Agrarler to translate from foreigner internet speak.

You have to remember, there are two, and really only two amazing conservation models that have worked in the history of man. Model 1 is the American model founded by our president Teddy Roosevelt. It was called the "public trust wildlife doctrine" wherein the Americans decided our "crown jewels" were our natural resources. In America, the public owns in trust our wildlife and its held for their benefit with an organized off-take paid for by those that pay for licenses. The other is the Republic of South Africa that started with an extinct, desolate country and privatized land and allowed them to own anything fenced in by their property. From desolation in South Africa sprung private enterprise that saved hundreds of species of game by assigning them a private cash value.

Zimbabwe (formerly Southern Rhodesia) decided on the American model wherein their crown jewels belonged to the people. Thus, you pay for quota payable to the State or tribe and you pay a daily rate to the Operator and Professional Hunter. The result has been that their resources have been wisely managed. The negative in Zimbabwe is that there is not enough profit in wildlife to justify vast marketing dollars to invite you to hunt their wildlife sustainably. You will meet very few Zimbabwean professional hunters and guides at your regional hunting exhibitions because they lack the means to offer free hunts or deep discounts on game in exchange for marketing dollars to do conventions. They lack the financial resources to advertise to the extent that our friends in RSA can do with their private ownership of wildlife model. It doesn't make them lesser, it only means they lack the financial means to advertise.

Too long, didn't read. The USA's wildlife model is wonderful. So is RSAs. So is Zimbabwes. You just need to understand why some groups cannot donate and advertise their offerings to the same financial level as one another.

@rookhawk: thank you so much for that explanation. I agree 100%. I hunted Matetsi ECA two times- was really impressive, especially for my kids being 8 and 11 years at their first trip.
This Saturday we depart for our second trip to RSA with Ernest from Spear Safaris- really enjoyed the first time and looking forward for the next two weeks!

Thanks to all for the advices- hunt is now already booked with Emil Kirchner for October 2025 in Namibia- I will for sure write a report and let you know!
For 2026 safari I’ll maybe come back to one of the above mentioned options- hopefully for elephant with leopard already checked of the big five list ;)

I as well agree with the above. In fact I am sitting 10 feet from Vaughan as I type and still have 14 hunting days left with him and yet I’m trying to figure out logistics of how to get the family here for safari with him as soon as possible in the future. Happy to elaborate on my current experience if it helps you.

I as well agree with the above. In fact I am sitting 10 feet from Vaughan as I type and still have 14 hunting days left with him and yet I’m trying to figure out logistics of how to get the family here for safari with him as soon as possible in the future. Happy to elaborate on my current experience if it helps you.
Hello
Where are you hunting, really interested in your coments
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diuwingame

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]