Improving the 375 H&H

and you might find the rem brass lasts longer than norma:LOL:
bruce.
Well I don’t know? Back in the day, many, many full “blood” moons ago, it was urban reloading lore to use Winchester brass for rifle cartridges and Remington brass for handgun cartridges? The Winchester brass was thinner and could thus hold more powder? The Remington brass was thicker for use with hotter handgun loads? Nobody ever heard of Norma, Quality even Hornady brass back then. Weatherby had their own brass for their proprietary cartridges. Well it’s all a moot point now with the selections of firearm brass cases we have now.
Bring me brass and I’ll reload it!

Last edited:
I think the biggest reason to ream your 375 h&h to AI is that you already have the 375 h&h. That said I would rather go to 375 Weatherby than the AI.
But me I like the good old H&H
Your right, unless you find a ready AI chambered rifle. I was at a Cabela’s gun room about a month ago. They had a custom stainless Weatherby in .375 h an h for a great price. So the sales tag said. When I looked at the rifle, the barrel was stamped .375 AI 40 degree. I pointed this out to the sales guy, and he had no idea what I was talking about. Anyway, those rifles are out there, but the .375 Weatherby would be an option otherwise?

If you buy factory Hornady Superformance ammo in .375 h and h, it’s just become ( or close to) the ballistic equivalent of a .375 AI, but your limited to their bullets.

Bruce- If you're saying to buy Superformance H&H, then pull the bullets, leaving the charge in place, then seating a Swift bullet- would changing components be unsafe? I've read that those Superformance loads are max loads.

Bruce- If you're saying to buy Superformance H&H, then pull the bullets, leaving the charge in place, then seating a Swift bullet- would changing components be unsafe? I've read that those Superformance loads are max loads.
If the bullet weight is the same and it’s not a longer monometal bullet I wouldn’t think it would matter?

you are right, but it does bear thinking about.
also there is no point when you could have a 9.3x64.
bruce.
What’s a 9.3x64? I know, a longer x62? These metric calibers are killing (not literally) me! Ha! Ha!

LOL didn't read 5 pages of what I expect. No need to Improve the 375 (as big a fan I am for smaller calibers that old P.O. got his hands to...7x57 in .257, .284, etc.)...You can get the velocity you desire w/ 350 gr bullets and handloading with modern powders. Off the top of my head that 350 gr slug has an SD way over .300 (.330+?) Save yourself the trouble and just read both of Kevin Robertson's books. Use the heavy for caliber bullets..."...the buffalo respond as if they've been hit by a .416!"..and that's because of the increased SD and mass of that 350 gr slug. LOL I love .416 Taylor but own a few .375s. The advantage of that std. 375 is that it can easily, accurately, and effectively be used on all game in Africa (and plains game way out!) Don't mess with perfection, even if it requires therapy.

LOL didn't read 5 pages of what I expect. No need to Improve the 375 (as big a fan I am for smaller calibers that old P.O. got his hands to...7x57 in .257, .284, etc.)...You can get the velocity you desire w/ 350 gr bullets and handloading with modern powders. Off the top of my head that 350 gr slug has an SD way over .300 (.330+?) Save yourself the trouble and just read both of Kevin Robertson's books. Use the heavy for caliber bullets..."...the buffalo respond as if they've been hit by a .416!"..and that's because of the increased SD and mass of that 350 gr slug. LOL I love .416 Taylor but own a few .375s. The advantage of that std. 375 is that it can easily, accurately, and effectively be used on all game in Africa (and plains game way out!) Don't mess with perfection, even if it requires therapy.
Yeah, if you want to use a 350gr bullet, just neck down your .458s to .416 and have the Taylor, or neck up your .375s to .416 and have the .416 Hoffman! All issues solved! Ha! Ha! It’s late here, the battery is dying on my phone, good night!

Ivan,

I now its an old post but have you done the conversion yet?

If you can give me the Details on the 380gr Rhino I can play with QL but seems S365 or equivalent in Vitha will be better suited powders for the 380gr.
I have a friend who got his 375 turned into AI and very happy with it although he didnt do it for the 380gr he did it to get more speed from the long 300gr TSX bullets.
350gr Woodleigh would also be a good choive and running them 2350fps would not be an issue out of a 25" barrel you have never mentioned the barrel length from the rifle you want to convert. So the AI might just hit 2300fps or just fall short without too much pressure.

As for SAPS pain in the butt always and long waits.

Yeah, if you want to use a 350gr bullet, just neck down your .458s to .416 and have the Taylor, or neck up your .375s to .416 and have the .416 Hoffman! All issues solved! Ha! Ha! It’s late here, the battery is dying on my phone, good night!
No, I meant use 350 gr Woodleighs or others in the std. .375. They work (better) than 300s...on African DG or Brown Bear/Moose. Recommended by an infamous PH/Veterinarian from Zim. lol The 350s in .416 are def NOT recommended for DG. No reason you can't just use the 400s for plains game as well (v. accurate and a pleasure to shoot.)

unless you own a collet type bullet puller and a sizing and a seating die.
and some swift bullets.
bruce.
you can buy Superformance powder, but I've tested it and it does not live up to what's published on the label, in most cases. LOL You can exceed its performance by just carefully studying reloading forums' data. RL15 & 19 perform exceptionally well in .375.

You do realize that the .458 WM is a Shortened .375 case, yes? A full length .375 case (2.850") will perform much better for the longer .375 slug. On the converse, the shorter .458 case is too small to get max performance from the .458 slugs, but is just perfect for the (also shorter than .375 bullets) .416. The .375 is fine as-is. Just select the right bullets and powder. Norma's PH line sells 350 gr ammo all ready to go if you don't handload...No need to use a case any larger than the 458 WM in .416 (2,450 fps in Rigby (100 gr powder), Rem (90 gr powder), and Taylor (75 gr powder) thanks to modern powders-all w/ 400 gr bullets. I've tested 'em extensively and even developed a Taylor load that delivered 2,550 fps using TAC powder-but that's overkill on the animal(s) and you.

Last edited:
I can’t, my phone’s battery is about dead. I’ll try again tomorrow!

upload_2020-2-16_9-53-1.png

You have to do that , very important , the master looks down on you !

The cartridge 9,3x64 Brenneke is the King of the cartridges caliber 366 / 9,3mm !

What extra velocity are you likely to get out of an improved cartridge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CooperKump

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?