Improving the 375 H&H

EfRed, the 404 Jeffery was the only caliber I own that I had to fire form brass for when brass was scarce. Since then I try to collect /buy old rifle calibers in the Mauser Action that has brass/live rounds readily available.
Few people know that the Mannlicher Schoenauer with it`s revolving magazine can shoot only one type of bullet profile since the profile on the magazine plates is an exact profile of the bullet shape it is intended for shooting..

Johan Greyling build a replacement full stock for .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer , when completed the project we cycle and shoot the .458 rounds through the revolving magazine ..there was different type of amo brands rounds ..only the .458 rounds with the matching profile bullet was able to cycle through the magazine..it is the same with my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer...since it is not a common type of rifle found these days , a few hunters would know about this phenomenon.
 
EfRed, the 404 Jeffery was the only caliber I own that I had to fire form brass for when brass was scarce. Since then I try to collect /buy old rifle calibers in the Mauser Action that has brass/live rounds readily available.
Few people know that the Mannlicher Schoenauer with it`s revolving magazine can shoot only one type of bullet profile since the profile on the magazine plates is an exact profile of the bullet shape it is intended for shooting..

Johan Greyling build a replacement full stock for .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer , when completed the project we cycle and shoot the .458 rounds through the revolving magazine ..there was different type of amo brands rounds ..only the .458 rounds with the matching profile bullet was able to cycle through the magazine..it is the same with my .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer...since it is not a common type of rifle found these days , a few hunters would know about this phenomenon.
Thanks Much, Gert - I have since my post read of this problem. Wonderful magazine, but requires the perfectly formed cartridge. I greatly appreciate your caution - saves me some headaches !

I've stocked up on 404 brass (Norma), bullets (Woodleigh), and dies (Redding). But am still awaiting the rifles ! But, pushing the craftsman may be counterproductive !

Good that time has brought a resurgence in manufacture of some of the near-extinct African hunting cartridges. Very frustrating to have a fine old European rifle in a classic cartridge and not be able to find ammo for it. Necessity is the mother of invention - this site shows that there is a good degree of invention among African shooters. No good rifle will go long unshot due to lack of ammo !

My father worked in northern Alaska for a while in the 1950's. He was talking with an Eskimo who'd grown up in the old tradition. Dad asked him what they'd used for polar bear. The answer was surprising - .30-30 or .303 British ! So, they used whatever rifle and cartridge they happened to have. Today, the Macah indians of Washington State's northwest coast use the 460 Weatherby for hunting whale.
 
Thanks Much, Gert - I have since my post read of this problem. Wonderful magazine, but requires the perfectly formed cartridge. I greatly appreciate your caution - saves me some headaches !

Scroll to third post here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/mannlicher-schönauer-prewar-m1900-m1903-m1905-m1908-m1910-m1924-m1925-or-high-velocity.47277/

When fed with cartridges of the proper profile there is nothing smoother feeding or more reliable than a Mannlicher Schoenauer.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,437
Messages
1,576,233
Members
170,536
Latest member
KAOLavina1
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top