Improving the 375 H&H

Go with the AI, I have a few Improved rifles so I bought cheap but I dont sell firearms so doesnt matter to me, As far as feeding a good gunsmith will solve those problems for you.

I think I am if it does not pan out as planned I will re barrel to 404.
The 380 grn Rhino bullets have performed well, wanna see what they do at 2300 fps.

I would really appreciate it, dankie baie.

Improving the 375 H&H?????????

I believe Ruger did that already...........:)

I think you are mistaken,that would be the 375 RUM, just to stir it a bit

Guys, question, there's a lot of complaints about feeding issues with AI cartridges... Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone EXPERIENCED this? If so, isn't this a really undesirable thing especially seeing as the rifle may be used for DG?

I've used a few AI cartridges and the primary feeding issue encountered was a result of the steeper sides rather than the shoulder angle. The problem was most noticeable with a 257 Roberts converted to a 257AI. The problem was that the magazine boxes in the M98 tapered to the front. With factory cartridges there was the correct amount of space for the base as well as the shoulder. the cartridges snapped into the magazine and were tight along the entire side of the cartridge and they were parallel to the bore. With the expanding out of the sides the shoulder was wider than the factory version and the result was the cartridge was tight in the magazine at the shoulder but had excess space at the base. It wasn't a great deal of extra space, but it was sufficient that if the base was low, the bolt could slide over it and miss pushing it into the chamber. The problem was resolved by reshaping the magazine box so that it was wider where the cartridge shoulder layed against it. With the box fitting the cartridge, the problem was eliminated. As far as the 40 degree shoulder, it has never been a problem to me.

I have heard that the AI conversion will increase case life over the H&H.

Since you already own two 375 H&Hs I guess I vote in the minority and say do it. We own a Rem XCR II I had rechambered from 375 H&H to 375 Weatherby (pretty much the same as the AI improved except you can buy factory ammo for it). The gun had some quality control issues right out of the factory including a rough chamber so going to the 375 Weatherby cleaned that up. I didn't have time to send it back to the factory. We get 2800 fps with a 300g Partition from a 24" barrel with Weatherby ammunition, our 300g A-Frame handloads we've loaded down to 2700 fps. I've handloaded the 350g Woodleigh PPs and get 2550 fps with no adverse pressure signs. We find that more often or net when my younger son is using it he shoots Remington Safari Grade 375 H&H factory 300g A-Frames through it. They shoot great and chrono at about 2450 fps and kick substantially less. I got my brown bear and he got his nice black bear with that ammunition.

So if resale is not a consideration and you have two I say go for it. Anyway my two cents

Did you take the plunge??

Did you take the plunge??

Not yet but will be soon. I need to drop off the rifle and fill out the necessary SAPS docs.
I first want to load up some fresh rounds and chrony them so I have a reference once done.

Will keep you posted.

SAPS issues have made me shelve the plan, almost.....

I am going to play around with the 24" barreled one with 350gr, 340gr(soft and solids) and if satisfied keep this as my bush rifle. 1-6x24 Lynx

I am then going to play with the standard 25.5" barreled one with 260gr Accubonds, 300gr Accubonds and 300gr Rhino and if it works out this will be my open country big game rifle. 2.5-15x50 Lynx

I can then go hunting with the King and the Queen......

I have two .35 WAI rifles - both built off of Turk Mausers (full length) - zero feeding problems.

Not sure if you have committed to an AI chamber or not but I would second the 375 Weatherby recommendation.

It sounds like you are not chasing crazy velocity, rather that you need additional case capacity for the huge 380 grain bullet.

The Weatherby chamber gives you this with the ability to buy factory ammo, shoot H&H ammo and some freebore. A little freebore may help if you have to stretch OAL.

Not sure if the double radius shoulder gives you the same advantage as an AI regarding brass flow though. Maybe someone with reloading Weatherby cases could advise.

Good luck.

I say do whatever turns your crank, its your rifle. I am not a fan of AI versions but oh well. Once had a shooting buddy with a .280 Rem AI. I had a standard .280 Rem. My velocities were just as high as his. Much depends on individual barrels. As you would be using the same barrel that shouldn't be an issue, but the real world gain may not be very significant.

SAPS issues have made me shelve the plan, almost...

That sucks. Here in the states you can do pretty much whatever you want with your personal property without any paperwork. Hope it works out.

So far, yes. for now but if the loony lefty libtards keep on things may change. Enjoy what we got while we got it.

I've always thought the 375 Weatherby was a good idea. Much more practical than the 378 Weatherby or 375 Ultra Mag. But I guess most people just step up to the 40 Cal rifles once they feel the need to shoot bullets over 350 grains. I wonder how well the 404 would feed if you decided to rebarrel it?

We (my sons and I ) have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby that weighs all of 7 1/2 lbs. It's pretty weather resistant and with a 300g Partition or A-Frame at 2800 fps it can reach out and touch something. It shoots 350g Woodleigh softpoints (reloads) at 2550 fps and can shoot 375 H&H factory as well. It's a nice caliber.

I have often thought about this myself.
it makes a lot of sense in many ways.
however I come back to the same thoughts.
the std case has about as much recoil as I want.
the ballistics are such that another cartridge might be better than the improved.
a 416 rem if you want more power, and a 340 weatherby if you want flatter trajectory.
then the std h&h case is designed to feed better than a straighter case.
bruce.

the most important reason in favour of the standard chamber 375 h&h I forgot to include in the previous post.
it is available bullets.
they are all designed to perform at their best at h&h velocities.
some of them will turn into bombs in the 378 wby, and this will be a bit of a trend with the 375 improved.
tou are pretty much limited to barnes x when speeding things up, and swift as a softer alternative.
I have found similar things with the 7mm stw compared to the std 7mm rem mag,
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertHer

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!