I have come to the conclusion that "New Guys" are welcome, BUT......

Agreed, hope to meet up in person one day.
And deep habitat cold water squid, oh ya that’s a favorite of mine.
If you direct message me your address, I'll send you a few packages. I had Fish Central flash freeze and package them. They are awesome.

Welcome!! Not sure I have much to add other than what has already been said regarding scammers.

Stick around. It’s actually a pretty cool place. Nobody else is going to be as supportive of you buying guns you don’t need as we are.

Hello and welcome!

Similar to you, I did not write an intro to myself and I post rather seldomly. I can say though that I have successfully managed to complete a sale on AH and submitted a trip report on my 2024 hunt- and dealt with absolute gentleman throughout, and resulted in interactions with some people I now call friends.

I will add though- that there has definitely been an uptick in heated topics and spam- which in my view has made all hesitant of new members.

I definitely do not get involved in heated or mud slinging conversations- and perhaps that has assisted with my positive experiences.

All that said, there are some gems here, and a wealth of information- most especially for me dreaming of repeating some of the amazing trip reports myself! Stick around- I would love to see how your project turns out.

Paul, I would love to meet up sometime. We were just down in Valdez. We have a Bayliner Trophy we try to use as often as possible. I attached a picture of me with the squid catch from this weekend. My wife was just talking about moving up a couple sizes in boats, which I whole heartedly agreed too. Now it's simply a matter of figuring out how big, what type of motor, electronics, etc. Etc. The only thing for sure is boats are indeed expensive. Anyway, yes. We should sort out coffee at least.View attachment 631787

Very nice! I ran a trophy out of Valdez for years. I always resisted stepping up in size as I didn’t want to go to diesel. Range becomes an issue as you move up with gas.

This is the reason I only post pictures inside or outside of my house in the same non descriptive walls in my mud room. Nothing showing thieves valuables or the interior security or camera locations.

South American theft rings have become pretty sophisticated. Using alarm signal blocking, WiFi blocking and cellular blocking. So showing them your interior security setup is asking for trouble.

LOL Yes, I expect you are right! I chose the 505 Gibbs on a CZ 550 action simply out of simatry and personal nostalgia. A big 5 gun with all of those 5's, why not.

I fully understand what you are suggesting about the mauser action, and parts availability. I built a .458 win mag last spring on a Husqvarna action. The gun smith laughed at me when I took it in. He was not interested in getting involved. So through ebay and other gun parts sites I found everything I needed and put it all together. It is rough in some areas, and beautiful in other areas. All in all it came out well, and functions beautifully.

I have already located actions, barrels (had to have a barrel made for the 505 Gibbs), and most everything else, for my current projects. I have not decided on stocks yet. I'm leaning towards a laminated stock. I kinda enjoy the search for the parts, a little bit. It does get frustrating at times.

Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragement. Thx
Not sure why any respectable "gunsmith" would have laughed at your proposed build of 458 Win on 98 Mauser standard length action. Definitely very doable. I had two gunsmiths tell me it wasn't possible to build 404 on 98 Mauser but I knew it could be done because standard length 98 Mauser is what Jeffery initially used to house that cartridge.

Looking forward to images of your work.

Reactions: WAB
Not sure why any respectable "gunsmith" would have laughed at your proposed build of 458 Win on 98 Mauser standard length action. Definitely very doable. I had two gunsmiths tell me it wasn't possible to build 404 on 98 Mauser but I knew it could be done because standard length 98 Mauser is what Jeffery initially used to house that cartridge.

Looking forward to images of your work.
The barreled action is what I presented to the gun smith. He was not excited about a treasure hunt for the parts required to assemble a functional firearm. I don't blame him. It took a long time to find all of the parts. I still need to get a proper stock for it, but it really does shoot well. I had Fincher's Corner engrave the trigger guard, bolt, and drop plate to enhance the rifles esthetics.

Welcome, Ray. I am not much of a gun guy, but a .505 and a .458? You might want to include building a new shoulder soon.

I agree with a poster above who suggested the .505 with a wood stock and keeping it as a classic safari gun and doing the .458 as an Alaskan gun. Synthetic stocks just don't look right on a safari rifle, but I would want synthetic and stainless on anything I take to Alaska. Sadly for me, I cannot even buy that RMEF 10mm 1911 in stainless because I am in California and they have not "deemed it safe" for the state here.

Good luck on your first trip to Africa. As long as you don't meet your untimely demise, it is highly unlikely to be your only trip to Africa.

:S Welcome:Welcome to AH Ray. We were all the new guy once. You will fit right in around here. Its always good to have another alaskan participating

I apologize for the not responding to your post sooner. I was crane and goose hunting outside Delta Junction the last few days and I am just starting to get caught up before I hit the road again....

:D Beers:

New member appear to be held in a very untrustworthy light, and long standing members appear to have license to dismiss new members with an elitist attitude that I find a bit off putting.

If you were Robin Hood in an archery contest, you just split the Sheriff of Nottingham's arrow.

Some of it is well-founded due to scammer issues being abundant as mentioned. I would take those with a grain of salt as you'll have that anywhere and it's probably well-founded suspicion.
Some of it is just uppity internet tuff guy stuff.

Welcome to the site. Lots of good information here and genuinely helpful folks.

New member here. I shot competition BPCR (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle) for years. Collect vintage levers and Ballard Single Shot Rifles now that advanced Glaucoma has ruled out being competitive. I belong to a handful of gun forums and a couple bullet casting forums. I’ve seen the scammers but been very fortunate and likely by being appropriately cautious. I’ve never been on a African hunt and now with my eyes failing never will be. But associating with hunters and shooters has always been a good experience. The Marlinowners site lured me to an annual shoot in Central Washington a dozen years ago and I maintain personal friendships with about two dozen shooters I’ve met with, shot with and competed against in the years since. Don’t let the scammers draw you in, nor spoil you fun.

The barreled action is what I presented to the gun smith. He was not excited about a treasure hunt for the parts required to assemble a functional firearm. I don't blame him. It took a long time to find all of the parts. I still need to get a proper stock for it, but it really does shoot well. I had Fincher's Corner engrave the trigger guard, bolt, and drop plate to enhance the rifles esthetics.
What did he need to do to make a barreled action a functional firearm? Change the bottom metal, tweek the ramp/feeding rails, and open the bolt face? If it was already barreled as 458 then not even any of that. Changing the trigger and adding a Model 70 safety is kid stuff. No treasure hunt for those parts. Many outlets. Then stock it. That's what gunsmiths do.

This is the stock I finished up for my 404J build last year before taking it to Africa. It was inleted for 8mm and "semifinished" so I had to do quite a bit of work to make it fit. The fore end tip is zebrawood.
20231019_114147.jpg

Below is the used stock I bought from an online auction earlier this year. It required just as much work to make it fit plus adding crossbolts and steel wrist pin. Then stripped the finish and did it up in Linspeed oil. The first stock is now gathering dust in the safe.
20240905_124011.jpg

If you direct message me your address, I'll send you a few packages. I had Fish Central flash freeze and package them. They are awesome.
Thank You Ray.
And, I will be happy to pay your shipping cost.
Information requested is sent, via PM.

Attachments

• IMG_6695.png
    IMG_6695.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
New guy here.
As far as buying items, I have not had a dismissive comment.

For some new guys selling items is a problem because of the number of scams out there. We even have some members that have been members for a while, but all their activities in the classified and then they scam somebody.

Like any other site out there there are great members, and there are the occasional very dismissive type of members, some of them even condescending. You gotta have a thick skin to be on any Internet forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SangWatter

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]