I have come to the conclusion that "New Guys" are welcome, BUT......

"Heck, some forums do not allow new members to buy or sell without XX+ posts. If you think this forum is elitest, try some of the shotgun forums. :ROFLMAO:"

Compelling argument, clearly I have it all wrong. Thanks for demonstrating just how far off my general impression was. I guess I should be content to know it is much worse elsewhere. I will keep that in mind.

I joined a couple years ago, and everyone has been warm and nice. Never regret to have joined. It's a Club, with his rules (written and not I guess ) so I you have to do your part, going step by step, be kind, and mantein a gentleman behaviour. Having something interesting to tell, without looking swagger or a know-it-all.
And remember that you can't please everyone.
So, enter the Club, and enjoy it.

I share these same thoughts.

Hang in there. You will find this forum reflects society in general. There are always those who, as another member recently coined it, suffer from pompous personality disorder. I see a couple have already chimed in here. Just because someone has been a member for years does not give them the authority to mandate personal values or expression. Be yourself. If the "big shots" don't like it, they can select the ignore button. As an example, your choice of gun build projects is not my cup of tea. At all. But am I going to say you're nuts for attempting it? If I did, there would be a smiley emoticon attached. :D

I do no trading on this site. Or any forum site. I'm not a gun trader. But I have built my own thumper DGR. Really, I cannot recall much help coming from the AH crowd. But I didn't solicite any either. For the most part, I purchased my parts from sites that specialize in parts (pardon the overdone alliteration). Or from sites specifically dedicated to buying or selling, or from retail vendors. So far I haven't even been approached by a scammer.

As to your proposed builds. You're projects are somewhat exotic. Expect the hunt for components will not be easy. Limited availability for resources means you may be be vulnerable to scamming or, worse, gouging. I chose to build a 404 Jeffery on a standard 98 Mauser action. The cartridge is slightly exotic and wholly classic. Both characteristics are drawing cards for resale (not particularly a concern for this old man but possibly for my heirs). Finding build components for a 98 Mauser was almost unlimited. Consequently, from the moment I impetuously perceived the project to final completion and loaded on the plane for Africa was only four months. Did I mention I've never built a gun before? But it was relatively easy to accomplish because I chose something that wasn't too complex and with abundant supply of components. And it was very affordable. All in I think I have just over $2.5K invested, not including my time and labor.
20240905_124011.jpg

Do what suits your heart but just know the road may get bumpy. Hang in there. A few over inflated "older members" will be the least of your concerns. Good luck.

First :S Welcome:

And sorry for the bad impresson, you´ll find out most of the members here are nice guys, and willing to help a newcomer :D Cheers:

LOL Yes, I expect you are right! I chose the 505 Gibbs on a CZ 550 action simply out of simatry and personal nostalgia. A big 5 gun with all of those 5's, why not.

I fully understand what you are suggesting about the mauser action, and parts availability. I built a .458 win mag last spring on a Husqvarna action. The gun smith laughed at me when I took it in. He was not interested in getting involved. So through ebay and other gun parts sites I found everything I needed and put it all together. It is rough in some areas, and beautiful in other areas. All in all it came out well, and functions beautifully.

I have already located actions, barrels (had to have a barrel made for the 505 Gibbs), and most everything else, for my current projects. I have not decided on stocks yet. I'm leaning towards a laminated stock. I kinda enjoy the search for the parts, a little bit. It does get frustrating at times.

Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragement. Thx

LOL Yes, I expect you are right! I chose the 505 Gibbs on a CZ 550 action simply out of simatry and personal nostalgia. A big 5 gun with all of those 5's, why not.

I fully understand what you are suggesting about the mauser action, and parts availability. I built a .458 win mag last spring on a Husqvarna action. The gun smith laughed at me when I took it in. He was not interested in getting involved. So through ebay and other gun parts sites I found everything I needed and put it all together. It is rough in some areas, and beautiful in other areas. All in all it came out well, and functions beautifully.

I have already located actions, barrels (had to have a barrel made for the 505 Gibbs), and most everything else, for my current projects. I have not decided on stocks yet. I'm leaning towards a laminated stock. I kinda enjoy the search for the parts, a little bit. It does get frustrating at times.

Anyway, I really appreciate the encouragement. Thx
Welcome aboard, Ray. I apologize for the "rude introduction" of some members but there a few in every crowd. As has been mentioned most of us are nice guys and welcome new blood. My suggestion is to join in some of the discussions and post your thoughts (positive, I hope) so we can get to know you.

True, the tone of some forums has changed recently. I lay it to it being an election year and some take their politics to a new level resulting in some harsh words at times. Read and make your own conclusion.

Sounds like you are somewhat of a gunsmith and like the big guys. Some pix of your creations would be most welcome. As for hunting Africa, GO. But be warned that once you've been there you've been had, the bug has bit and you're hooked. Once is never enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenneyNebl

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]