I did it! I bit the bullet..,, you wont believe it!

@sestoppelman, now that you have a double rifle, we can assume your R8 will be in the for sale ads? Once a suitable load has been achieved of course!
Congrats on the acquisition.
R8 Blaser, Blaser??? We dont own no stinking Blaser!! :A Outta:

Well I got this home today, looks great overall. Looked like it needed a swab so grabbed my big range rod and a .50 cal jag, put a dry patch on to see what comes up. Well what came up was nothing, the patched jag got stuck in the breech!! :eek:!

I can visualize what happened, hard to explain but I felt it slip into the breech plug, and upon trying to retract it, the patch material I suspect doubled against the jag and there just wasnt enuf room to pull it past the catch point. Seen it happen before.:whistle:

Soooo, I popped a couple caps to see if it might bump it ahead just a tad, not. Next step is unscrew the rod from the jag, pull the nipple, work a bit of powder into the hole, replace nipple, cap and boom!

I had it pointed at the floor which is covered with rubber tiles and it blew a pretty good hole in the tile, Oh well, but otherwise besides ruining a good brass jag, all is well.

I have another jag that is shorter that I tried afterwards and didnt have any more issues.(y)

This happened to me once years ago, pretty much the same thing and so that trick worked then and worked today. :LOL:

Rifle looks nice otherwise, barrels are pretty stout, one inch in diameter at the breech and .7" at the muzzle. I think CVA says that a 90gr charge is considered max so I will start at 90 and work up from there, :ROFLMAO:, no not really.

Being is this will be a paper rifle, no need to test the barrels fail limits.o_O

OK boys, here it is. These are listing pics as I dont have it in hand yet, should be a few days, but I dont want to add to the anxiety level, LOL.
.50 caliber double. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cautious::cautious::love::A Outta:
View attachment 544331
View attachment 544332
View attachment 544333
View attachment 544334
Very nice rifle and in the right caliber.
Love that engraving.
Yet disappointing with all the razing you received.
Would have guessed a Pedersoli at least.:LOL:
IMG_20191119_093654.jpg

Pedersoli double barrel SxS .79 cal. (10 gauge shotgun).
Deer was dropped using patch and ball.
Whimpy slip on pad to increase LOP.

Last edited:
Well I got this home today, looks great overall. Looked like it needed a swab so grabbed my big range rod and a .50 cal jag, put a dry patch on to see what comes up. Well what came up was nothing, the patched jag got stuck in the breech!! :eek:!

I can visualize what happened, hard to explain but I felt it slip into the breech plug, and upon trying to retract it, the patch material I suspect doubled against the jag and there just wasnt enuf room to pull it past the catch point. Seen it happen before.:whistle:

Soooo, I popped a couple caps to see if it might bump it ahead just a tad, not. Next step is unscrew the rod from the jag, pull the nipple, work a bit of powder into the hole, replace nipple, cap and boom!

I had it pointed at the floor which is covered with rubber tiles and it blew a pretty good hole in the tile, Oh well, but otherwise besides ruining a good brass jag, all is well.

I have another jag that is shorter that I tried afterwards and didnt have any more issues.(y)

This happened to me once years ago, pretty much the same thing and so that trick worked then and worked today. :LOL:

Rifle looks nice otherwise, barrels are pretty stout, one inch in diameter at the breech and .7" at the muzzle. I think CVA says that a 90gr charge is considered max so I will start at 90 and work up from there, :ROFLMAO:, no not really.

Being is this will be a paper rifle, no need to test the barrels fail limits.o_O
You know, if you had made a video of that and put it on You Tube, you could’ve made a lot of money. If Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen was there “helping “ you, I would pay to watch the video. LOL

Hint:
A better way to remove a patch stuck in the barrel;

To save on tile repairs;
(rug burns, scaring the next door neighbors and family members in the next rooms, visit by police/sheriff deputies, time spent digging out a charred oiled/wet patch, etc.)

Next time, and there will be a next time, use a ball puller. A patch puller is ok, but doesn't always work. The screw designed ball puller works better.

Hunt:
A better way to remove a patch stuck in the barrel;

To save on tile repairs;
(rug burns, scaring the next door neighbors and family members in the next rooms, visit by police/sheriff deputies, time spent digging out a charred oiled/wet patch, etc.)

Next time, and there will be a next time, use a ball puller. A patch puller is ok, but doesn't always work. The screw designed ball puller works better.
Yes, for pulling a patch or even a lead ball. I had a stuck patched JAG down there. Aint no ball puller going to pull that out.

Yes, for pulling a patch or even a lead ball. I had a stuck patched JAG down there. Aint no ball puller going to pull that out.
Now I get why you unscrewed the jag, it was still in the barrel, not just the pacth. I mentally visualized you unscrewing the jag outside the barrel, leaving the patching down around the breech plug as I have done a few times, and it was the powder blast that had damaged the tile.

Here's a horror story that your thread reminded about as I was reading it:

A fellow had a stuck ball that wouldn't come out....it seemed there was a double load in the rifle; the first load was easily removed;.... mistakenly it was thought a ball was pushed down the barrel without a charge;...much like what you did, only nothing happened other than a popped cap;....a steel rod with a screw attached to one end of the rod and the screw was screwed into the stuck lead ball;....only the ball was atop 70 - 90 grains of wet powder, a propane torch, intended to loosen the ball, was involved. BOOM!

The end result was the steel ramrod was never found, no one was injured, no property damaged.

@sestoppelman
Scott what made you think that just a little bit of powder may move the jag without any problems. It was never going to end nicely. 90gn of powder sounds fun with a 500 to 600gn bullet.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@sestoppelman
Scott what made you think that just a little bit of powder may move the jag without any problems. It was never going to end nicely. 90gn of powder sounds fun with a 500 to 600gn bullet.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
I had every intention of having a boom, thats how it works! I maybe dribbled 3-5 grains of powder into the nipple hole. It did end nicely, got the jag out, put a hole in the rubber matt and alls well!!:love:
I love the smell of black powder in the garage!!:A Outta:

You know, if you had made a video of that and put it on You Tube, you could’ve made a lot of money. If Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen was there “helping “ you, I would pay to watch the video. LOL
@CoElkHunter
If I was there I may have got him to put more powder in it than he did.
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob

@CoElkHunter
If I was there I may have got him to put more powder in it than he did.
HA HA HA HA HA
Bob
Bob,
That's the FIRST thing I thought of when Scott was describing his kerfuffle. "If Bob was there, I'll bet he would have convinced Scott to use more powder". That's what You Tube videos are made of! Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

I know a man who got a ball stuck in a muzzle loader. Not having a ball puller he removed the nipple and put a small amount of powder in like you described.
He stepped out of the gunroom and shot a large block of elm firewood. The ball ricocheted and hit him in the left nut.
Why he shot the block and not the grass yard I have no idea.

I know a man who got a ball stuck in a muzzle loader. Not having a ball puller he removed the nipple and put a small amount of powder in like you described.
He stepped out of the gunroom and shot a large block of elm firewood. The ball ricocheted and hit him in the left nut.
Why he shot the block and not the grass yard I have no idea.
@wyatt Smith
So now he has 3 nuts.
Bet he did a lot of jumping around and cussing after that.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArmandoQue

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!