Hunting On Fenced Farms Vs Wilderness Areas

Plenty of videos out hunting wild Uganda for Lechwe, PH drives by many looking for the one, hunter shoots and pictures taken with Lechwe standing in the background. I have been on the King Ranch many times, well over 800,000 acres, it was there I figured out how deer were taken many years ago with primitive equipment, the whitetail are almost curious and very easy to approach. Yes, they are totally wild but does not necessarily mean they are harder to hunt.
There is no lechwe hunting in Uganda. I have photos from the Caprivi with lechwe in the far background of my trophy as you describe. I’ve seen it in other areas as well where animals have to coexist with people and livestock and poaching is minimal. The game will have a comfort zone of around 200 yards or so you can approach in. I’m much more willing to accept that knowing the animal was always wild and added conservation value compared to the signs of put and take hunting visible on some high fenced ranches for example a ranch in Limpopo with only sable bulls that have minimal fear of humans.

There is no lechwe hunting in Uganda. I have photos from the Caprivi with lechwe in the far background of my trophy as you describe. I’ve seen it in other areas as well where animals have to coexist with people and livestock and poaching is minimal. The game will have a comfort zone of around 200 yards or so you can approach in. I’m much more willing to accept that knowing the animal was always wild and added conservation value compared to the signs of put and take hunting visible on some high fenced ranches for example a ranch in Limpopo with only sable bulls that have minimal fear of humans.
Agreed that’s definitely not what I’m looking for!!

Plenty of videos out hunting wild Uganda for Lechwe, PH drives by many looking for the one, hunter shoots and pictures taken with Lechwe standing in the background. I have been on the King Ranch many times, well over 800,000 acres, it was there I figured out how deer were taken many years ago with primitive equipment, the whitetail are almost curious and very easy to approach. Yes, they are totally wild but does not necessarily mean they are harder to hunt.

I think you re reffering to KOB not Lechwe.
Uganda also a great hunting success but there is people, cattle and goats all over while you hunt in certain areas

I have only hunted SA once and it was fantastic. Did some free range around Craddock and then a 40K area around Kimberly. Love the great animals I took there.Lets take it a step further. When I lived in Zim,I did a lot of hunting on my own. Those trophies mean more to me than the ones where I was guided. Now there were some animals that I did not take but would like to now. Sable and Roan.I’m looking at the Limpopo and some of the outfitters there. Will it be different sure but I will be in an area that’s more affordable from a daily rate perspective as well as Trophy fee wise. I will let you know how it goes!!!
I don’t know if Howard Knott is still offering Safaris, but for Sable and Roan, Greater Kuduland Safari’s is very hard to beat.

The area is where both species naturally occur and it’s 65000+ acres of the most pristine bushveld with 4 of the Big 5.

My first Safari was my first hunt behind a fence. The area was huge, and the fence rarely came into play. What I enjoyed about the fence was that there was no competition for animals we were hunting. The PH's were assigned to areas to hunt and so our area each day was our own.

In my decades of hunting the west many times we had to leave camp at 3 am to get to our spot before anyone else. You can pack in 27 miles in the Frank Church in Idaho and still have to compete for your spot. Just try to get your favorite Duck Hunting hole in Bayou Meto in Arkansas on a weekend during duck season. 2 am line ups are not uncommon. This all leads to a lot of stress and sleepless nights.

The fence was not an issue for me, and I expected it would be. The peace of mine it brought was priceless. Especially being so far from home.

I've hunted Zambezi Valley (2011) and Niassa (2016). Probably around 400-750,000 acres each time. For my budget, the hunts were within reason yet needed to be justified. My choice, and no judgement on others, was to save up, go fewer times and experience the remote, wild Africa. In 2026, we will probably be traveling to Africa with friends (maybe as many as 6-10) who want to see animals. Afterwards, we'll go hunting for 7-10 days. Looks like they want to go to Tanzania (I'm trying to guide them to Kruger and Vic Falls so I can do a more affordable hunt). Either way, after that, I will have to wait 3 - 5 years before considering going again. But, that's the way I want to do it. Others that hunt the game farms and ranches are doing it their way. I'm ok with that for them.

If the fencing does not impede the game’s behavior from acting in any other way than it’s natural wild self, then I see absolutely nothing immoral or wrong with hunting in fenced areas.

That said… If budget were no concern (and let’s be honest… it is to some degree or another for most of us), then I’d hunt purely in wilderness areas. There is something very appealing about (for instance) hunting Cape buffalo in elephant or lion country.

Some hunters are known for shaming others and flaunting their wealth, as they can afford expensive hunt, possibly due to insecurities about their own skills. These individuals don’t bother me.

There are outfitters and PHs in RSA, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and Namibia who can ruin a hunting trip or even land you in legal trouble. At the DSC, I nearly had an altercation with a disrespectful PH from RSA after just a two-minute conversation. However, a renowned outfitter from Tanzania approached me and, despite knowing I couldn't afford Tanzania, engaged in a highly professional and courteous conversation.

RSA has the highest number of outfitters, which inevitably includes some lower-quality operations.
When deciding between fenced and unfenced areas, it's crucial to choose wisely as it's a significant investment. Both fenced and unfenced areas can offer great experiences. I've seen videos of well-known PHs in wild areas taking young buffalo bulls or shooting before the hunter.
The image from a fenced area in RSA, a fence that have no negative effect on the hunting experience.
Screenshot_20240823_122001_Gallery.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleighDe

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!