COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

I live by Ft. Riley and saw some guy in fatigues leaving the local Walmart with a cart full of toilet paper and bottle water. WTF is the deal with that.

I was in Costco yesterday. NO TP at all...and water stacked everywhere.

people are afraid that if they have to stay in their houses they will have to be creative when it comes to wiping their bums. Think about how scary that is...in their homes, their safest of all places, and they can’t imagine a way to remain hygienic...it absolutely shows how fragile people are.

I spent 11 days rambling around rural Kenya last year...they don’t have 1/1000th of what the poorest American has and they aren't losing their minds... at this point, I have a higher regard for them than some of my countrymen. Sad.

I live by Ft. Riley and saw some guy in fatigues leaving the local Walmart with a cart full of toilet paper and bottle water. WTF is the deal with that.

He has a wife, she said go buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the same crazys that are buying up all the ammo right now. Everywhere is cleaned out of shotgun slugs and buckshot, handgun, and .223/5.56 ammo. Too much walking dead watching for these folks.
sure, it’s all one person’s fault. Correct. Trump also caused the CDCs initial tests to fail by using a bad reagent.

the Admins response was slow, of course it was. But you cannot convince me that the horror show in the news media and on social media is commensurate with how this is playing out in America.
Yup, that's what he said- anyone asleep at the wheel has to mean Trump right? Come on people and give it a rest with the partisan BS. He was clearly talking about the general government response, which yes includes the leader of the country. By the way the governments in Europe were no better. Relax and don't create more issues where there are none. We have enough issues right now as it is.

I think most people would have had a hard time remembering exactly which year the H1N1 virus hit, at least before Covid. I've done some purely random surveys, and almost no one gets the right year - 2009 - and it was only 11 years ago. Since few can recall when it happened, it can only be because it didn't make much of a dent in everyday life. And frankly, that's how I recall it as well.

Now before that outbreak ended, Wikipedia says this: It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million–1.4 billion people, contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities. Estimates vary, of course, and these numbers are on the high end, but by any definition, it was pretty bad. And yet . . . we can't remember when it happened.

As of today, the WHO has confirmed 168,000 cases of Covid-19 and about 6,400 deaths (or so says my Covid-19 Tracker). The WHO also acknowledges that many more may be infected but are unaware of it, so it is next to impossible to estimate an accurate mortality rate from the reported numbers (estimates currently seem to vary from about 1% to a high of 3%, which is of course higher than H1N1, but again, these are high estimates, since we have no idea how many have had the virus but did not report it, since it can be very mild in terms of symptoms).

I suggest we have more to fear from fear than from the virus.

As it happens, I remembered the H1N1 year clearly as my wife was pregnant with our first son and ended up standing in line (outside) for 4 hours to get vaccinated. They are both fine, and I was looking forward to taking my 10yo son on safari with me to the Eastern Cape in June.

Taking your numbers above, the highest estimate for the case fatality rate for 2009 H1N1 would be about .08% (575,000 fatalities divided by 700M patients). The low end estimate for COVID-19 CFR is 0.5-1%, ie 6-12x higher. This assumes that quality medical care is available to all patients. If the epidemic spikes and you hit a threshold event, like not enough staffed ICU beds available, then that CFR can jump over night by 5x or more. This is where Italy is now, and their daily number of fatalities is now over 350. The US is around 16 days behind Italy on the curve. Two weeks from now, life will look very different. Hopefully my modeling is way off base, and things are back to something like normal in a couple weeks. But my expectation is that this is going to be unlike anything in living memory.

I agree that the media has been unhelpful at times, but the Chinese really don't give a damn what the western media has to say and they didn't nuke their economy for no reason.

"Taking your numbers above, the highest estimate for the case fatality rate for 2009 H1N1 would be about .08% (575,000 fatalities divided by 700M patients). The low end estimate for COVID-19 CFR is 0.5-1%, ie 6-12x higher. This assumes that quality medical care is available to all patients."

Ding, ding, ding - Johnny, we have a winner! This coronavirus deal is a numbers game now. If the curve is not flattened, the health care system will be crushed. End of report.

Does anyone know someone from the US, travelling from Namibia or elsewhere that has successfully returned through RSA after the RSA ban?
Likely a small number of people, but it is a potential issue.

There are so few airline routes into Southern Africa. Most go through JNB.
If they are refused entry to RSA what alternative routes do they have to get home?

I thought this one was interesting from the long list of countries implementing mandatory testing of self isolation or outright bans.

Coronavirus: Which countries have travel bans? Updated 16th March 2020

China
Effective March 16, all passengers arriving in Beijing from destinations abroad will undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities starting Monday, Beijing's municipal government announced. This process will be at the traveler's own expense.
Meanwhile, international business travelers will be required to stay at a select number of designated hotels in Beijing where they will be tested for the virus. They will not be allowed to leave until their test results have been returned.

Source .https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-travel-bans/index.html

I guess I won't be heading to Montana this coming weekend.

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 08.46.02.png

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Does anyone know someone from the US, travelling from Namibia or elsewhere that has successfully returned through RSA after the RSA ban?

If they are refused entry to RSA what alternative routes do they have to get home?

In normal times, there are direct flights from WDH to both Frankfurt and Doha. I don't believe Frankfurt flight is currently operating. There are also flights to Luanda (Angola), Addis Ababa, Harare, Lusaka and Lubango. All of those destinations seem to have "out of the frying pan" potential. If you can't transit RSA, and can't get a flight to doha, I'd consider booking longer term local accommodation and settling in for a 8-12 weeks.

Heartbreaking in Bergamo, Italy...the local paper L´Eco di Bergamo, issue of 13th March.... 10 - ten full pages of death ads (!)..jeez..

Last edited:
SCI just sent out a notice there are 27 hunters stuck in Argentina till April 10th.

SCI just sent out a notice there are 27 hunters stuck in Argentina till April 10th.

@ 40 boxes of shells per day that becomes a sore shoulder and an expensive hunt.:D

Pretty sure they can still fly through Addis Abba but that could change soon.

Heartbreaking in Bergamo, Italy...the local paper L´Eco di Bergamo, issue of 13th Marc.... 10 - ten full pages of death ads (!)..jeez..

That is truly sad.

Unfortunately the effects from this virus will probably touch most of us.

Heartbreaking in Bergamo, Italy...the local paper L´Eco di Bergamo, issue of 13th March.... 10 - ten full pages of death ads (!)..jeez..

Heartbreaking..Saw it yesterday here is the video

Four flights from China into Vancouver today. Wonder what percent of the 1,000 arrivals will be infected. Credit to Ezra Levant for pointing this out.

ETMyyG2X0AAI85I

ETMyyHvWkAInHQv

ETMyyHvWkAAxWSo

ETMyyHwXkAE3o78

Attachments

• ETMyyG2X0AAI85I.jpg
    ETMyyG2X0AAI85I.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 61
  • ETMyyHvWkAAxWSo.jpg
    ETMyyHvWkAAxWSo.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 66
  • ETMyyHvWkAInHQv.jpg
    ETMyyHvWkAInHQv.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 71
  • ETMyyHwXkAE3o78.jpg
    ETMyyHwXkAE3o78.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 65
In normal times, there are direct flights from WDH to both Frankfurt and Doha. I don't believe Frankfurt flight is currently operating. There are also flights to Luanda (Angola), Addis Ababa, Harare, Lusaka and Lubango. All of those destinations seem to have "out of the frying pan" potential. If you can't transit RSA, and can't get a flight to doha, I'd consider booking longer term local accommodation and settling in for a 8-12 weeks.

Well, I just checked and Qatar airlines has suspended service for 14 days. flights are still bookable from WDH-DOH starting April 1, but I wouldn't bet on them actually happening. Foreign nationals also aren't currently being admitted to Qatar, so if you did manage to get there, you would have to stay airside before taking a connecting flight - which might be tough to find in two weeks. I think I'd rather be stuck in an air bnb in Namibia than the airport in Qatar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AfricaUntamedSafaris

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?