COVID-19 Coronavirus UPDATES, BANS, CLOSURES, ADVISORY, etc.

I think most people would have had a hard time remembering exactly which year the H1N1 virus hit, at least before Covid. I've done some purely random surveys, and almost no one gets the right year - 2009 - and it was only 11 years ago. Since few can recall when it happened, it can only be because it didn't make much of a dent in everyday life. And frankly, that's how I recall it as well.

Now before that outbreak ended, Wikipedia says this: It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million–1.4 billion people, contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities. Estimates vary, of course, and these numbers are on the high end, but by any definition, it was pretty bad. And yet . . . we can't remember when it happened.

As of today, the WHO has confirmed 168,000 cases of Covid-19 and about 6,400 deaths (or so says my Covid-19 Tracker). The WHO also acknowledges that many more may be infected but are unaware of it, so it is next to impossible to estimate an accurate mortality rate from the reported numbers (estimates currently seem to vary from about 1% to a high of 3%, which is of course higher than H1N1, but again, these are high estimates, since we have no idea how many have had the virus but did not report it, since it can be very mild in terms of symptoms).

I suggest we have more to fear from fear than from the virus.

Wow I know a guy on the way to Namibia. Hope he gets there.

One of our members just got turned around after being half way to Namibia.
One day in Germany and sent back home.
Rebooked dates for later in the year.

Last edited:
I hope all the panic and fear mongering ends soon. Yes it’s a real thing but no it isn’t the start of the zombie apocalypse. I leave for RSA in September for my 2nd Safari, I have busted my ass for 5 years to pay for this trip and it’s going to be heart breaking if the media creates such a stir that I’m not able to go.
This crap has gotten out of hand. They cancelled the Houston Stock Show on the last day and assed out 100’s of kids who have been working their butts off all year. Not to mention the Seniors who just had their biggest and last show stolen from them. Its ridiculous.
Yes the Corona virus is real, yes some people have died but when put in perspective, say to the common flu, it’s not that big of a damn deal. Corona virus for the most part is effecting the elderly and infants or those with respiratory problems ultimately causing pneumonia and that where the deaths come in. Same as the common flu. This has a lot more to do with the media latching on to something to create mass hysteria and boost ratings. At least in the states, it didn’t get near the coverage until the Democrats jumped up and spun it to take a jab at Trump, then it took off.

Right there with ya buddy. Supposed to leave Texas on May 31st and I think my outfitter May be booked completely through the better part of the season too. Waiting on an email back for more details and options.

Todays Epidemic curve.
Source: WHO Situation Report – 55

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 22.05.07.png

I think most people would have had a hard time remembering exactly which year the H1N1 virus hit, at least before Covid. I've done some purely random surveys, and almost no one gets the right year - 2009 - and it was only 11 years ago. Since few can recall when it happened, it can only be because it didn't make much of a dent in everyday life. And frankly, that's how I recall it as well.

Now before that outbreak ended, Wikipedia says this: It is estimated that 11–21% of the then global population (of about 6.8 billion), or around 700 million–1.4 billion people, contracted the illness — more in absolute terms than the Spanish flu pandemic. with about 150,000–575,000 fatalities. Estimates vary, of course, and these numbers are on the high end, but by any definition, it was pretty bad. And yet . . . we can't remember when it happened.

As of today, the WHO has confirmed 168,000 cases of Covid-19 and about 6,400 deaths (or so says my Covid-19 Tracker). The WHO also acknowledges that many more may be infected but are unaware of it, so it is next to impossible to estimate an accurate mortality rate from the reported numbers (estimates currently seem to vary from about 1% to a high of 3%, which is of course higher than H1N1, but again, these are high estimates, since we have no idea how many have had the virus but did not report it, since it can be very mild in terms of symptoms).

I'm not sure the elderly in Italy would agree.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...OkEfstLo91ALxEtEuSs4JKo37SHV8KNBbCPyha4TP9Lig

Phasa will bring out a statement on Monday ..... This is an action that transpired late Sunday.

TRAVEL BANS TO SOUTH AFRICA: RSA are imposing a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom and China as from 18 March 2020. RSA have cancelled visas of visitors from these countries from today and previously granted visas are hereby revoked. Any foreign national who has visited high-risk countries in the past 20 days will be denied a visa.
All travellers who have entered South Africa from high-risk countries since mid-February will be required to present themselves for testing.
South African citizens are advised to refrain from all forms of travel to or through the European Union, United States, United Kingdom and other identified high-risk countries such as China, Iran and South Korea. This is effective immediately.
No time frame has yet been indicated and the government virus-taskteam will meet 3 times per week to reassess the situation. Please contact your outfitter for alternative dates. PHASA will keep you informed with accurate information as it comes available.

Cyril let us know 12 hours ago.

Ok . I understand ... Maybe I miss read some of the posts . There is a 6 to 9 hour time difference . The announcement was made on a Sunday night in South Africa. Phasa offices are not open on a Sunday night.

That is why I said the new info will be on Monday morning . I hope this helps.

The USA stopped travel from China at the end of January. A couple days ago, I don't think the EU had prohibited travel from China. Perhaps I am incorrect, but do you think this could explain a lot.

Unfortunately you are right...Europe has responded waay to slow...severe travel restrictions should have been implemented weeks ago..and now we pay the price..

As a consequence the economy will suffer on an apocalyptic scale and unemployment will surge in the western world (although this is secondary now..) In addition we are also hit hard with the collapse in oil..

If you're over 60, it's likely a good idea to get the flu shot and the pneumonia shot. If you've had chicken pox, the shingles shots too. It helps to stay away from large groups of people. Odds are, one of them as some sort of plague, infectious disease or cooties. Being retired, I try and spend alot of flu season during the winter in a tree stand, blind or at home being enlightened :whistle: by fellow AH and forum members. :p :D At least there, the only thing I can catch is a case of the ass. :mad::LOL:

Unless things have changed much in the last 10 years, you'll need the pneumonia vaccine maybe twice - once before you turn 65, and again after you turn 65.

Funny thing about pneumonias - in general, viral pneumonias are the least aggressive, least likely to be fatal. They also can't be "cured," only symptoms treated. Bacterial pneumonias are generally far more aggressive, far more likely to produce fatalities; but can be resolved with antibiotics. Fungal pneumonias are also very bad, very difficult to treat, but unless one has AIDS or on a chemo treatment which has wiped out the immune system, your odds of winning the megamillions jackpot are better than getting a fungal pneumonia.

I may have mentioned it somewhere in this now-sprawling thread, but pretty much all pneumonias are opportunistic infections, which is to say it's a rare day one gets pneumonia when one is otherwise healthy. This novel corona virus is no exception to that. Pneumonia is a very common co-morbidity in late stage AIDS; for people who are on steroids (anti-inflammatory, not anabolic; steroids weaken the immune system); frail elderly people; people on chemotherapy.

One thing I'd encourage everyone reading this to do is to get their Vitamin D level checked at their next annual checkup. Vit. D is an important component for your immune system. If your D level is below about 25, your doc will probably put you on a prescription-strength D supplement for maybe 4-8 weeks to get you north of 30 or 35 - healthy range is about 30 to 100. You just can't spend enough time in the sunlight to recover your D level when it gets really low.

I got a bacterial pneumonia about 10 years ago when I was a nurse. My Vitamin D level was 19.

Amidst all the excitement and panic, I cant help but notice the poetic justice in the pangolin's revenge. After long suffering as the most trafficked animal in the world, now striking back against its tormentors with the Corona virus

Amidst all the excitement and panic, I cant help but notice the poetic justice in the pangolin's revenge. After long suffering as the most trafficked animal in the world, now striking back against its tormentors with the Corona virus

Fred Hutch in Seattle traced the RNA to bats, not pangolins. Unless there is another study I’m unaware of.

a lot of truth in this. I had to look up when the swine flu happened.

maybe I’m cynical, but I do happen to think the total reliance on social media for information and the political party of the current admin isn’t helping. The latter meaning the unbelievable blame game that is going on here.

a lot of truth in this. I had to look up when the swine flu happened.

maybe I’m cynical, but I do happen to think the total reliance on social media for information and the political party of the current admin isn’t helping. The latter meaning the unbelievable blame game that is going on here.

So you don’t believe anyone was asleep at the wheel?

So you don’t believe anyone was asleep at the wheel?

sure, it’s all one person’s fault. Correct. Trump also caused the CDCs initial tests to fail by using a bad reagent.

the Admins response was slow, of course it was. But you cannot convince me that the horror show in the news media and on social media is commensurate with how this is playing out in America.

I live by Ft. Riley and saw some guy in fatigues leaving the local Walmart with a cart full of toilet paper and bottle water. WTF is the deal with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lopehunter

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?