Can we please stop talking about "flat shooting" cartridges

So BOB, at least now you admit you’d “try” a .243 ? Nice to see you have an open mind and Looks like my logic is wearing you down. Maybe Santa will leave one under your tree - Merry Christmas !
@HankBuck
I never said I would try one, maybe lean on it to stop myself falling over with laughter.
If'n Santa leaves one under my Xmas tree pm me your adress and I will gladly mail it to you FREE of charge.
Bob

Wow Bob you really don’t like him.
@Flewis
I make the grinch and Scrooge look nice. At Xmas I put a parking meter on my roof and at Easter to stop that hippity hoppity lop eared varmint I puts rabbit traps on my lawn.
Dang I love to have fun.
Bob

@Flewis
I make the grinch and Scrooge look nice. At Xmas I put a parking meter on my roof and at Easter to stop that hippity hoppity lop eared varmint I puts rabbit traps on my lawn.
Dang I love to have fun.
Bob
Bob you are just a crotchety old softy at heart who knows what he likes and doesn’t like and really doesn’t care what anyone else thinks. My kind of guy!

Bob you are just a crotchety old softy at heart who knows what he likes and doesn’t like and really doesn’t care what anyone else thinks. My kind of guy!
Rumour has it that Bob has a closet full of all makes of 234s that he polishes & oils when no one can see him, kind of like a cross dresser who says those panties are not mine!

@MS 9x56
You summed me up pretty well.
Care factor zero about what people think or say about me. If people don't like me I'm not going to loose any sleep over it or try to impress them.
Bob

Rumour has it that Bob has a closet full of all makes of 234s that he polishes & oils when no one can see him, kind of like a cross dresser who says those panties are not mine!
@rdog
You must be on the LSD again. Me thinks you are having hallucinations.
Never ever period will a 243 be in my possession. It was bad enough having to do reloading for it but at least I could use proper projectiles for it.
Bob

I have enjoyed Bob's anti-.243 posts for quite a while as a lurker. Gives me a chuckle. I am a huge fan of both the .35 Whelen AND the .243, I bought a .35 Whelen on my 18th birthday 32 years ago and used it to slay all manner of beasts in the US, from whitetails and black bear in Pennsylvania to elk in Colorado to moose, muskox, brown bear in Alaska. It is my favorite big game cartridge, and I have used it to great effect. To keep in the "flat shooting" theme of this thread, I killed my moose last year at 400 yards with a 250 grain partition out of my Whelen. My .243 is my favorite blacktail rifle however. It is a late 80s vintage Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, and it has stacked up a pile of blacktails here in Alaska over the years. It is a freaking magic wand for blacktail hunting, and nobody can tell me it is not sufficient for deer hunting, at least for smaller deer with a good 100 grain bullet.

I have enjoyed Bob's anti-.243 posts for quite a while as a lurker. Gives me a chuckle. I am a huge fan of both the .35 Whelen AND the .243, I bought a .35 Whelen on my 18th birthday 32 years ago and used it to slay all manner of beasts in the US, from whitetails and black bear in Pennsylvania to elk in Colorado to moose, muskox, brown bear in Alaska. It is my favorite big game cartridge, and I have used it to great effect. To keep in the "flat shooting" theme of this thread, I killed my moose last year at 400 yards with a 250 grain partition out of my Whelen. My .243 is my favorite blacktail rifle however. It is a late 80s vintage Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, and it has stacked up a pile of blacktails here in Alaska over the years. It is a freaking magic wand for blacktail hunting, and nobody can tell me it is not sufficient for deer hunting, at least for smaller deer with a good 100 grain bullet.
@roklok
So you wave your magic wand aka 243 and the blactails fall over and die of laughter.
At least you have a Whelen so there's hope yet.
Bob

My experience with the .243 as well. I don’t use it much anymore, but when I first got it I shot 4 or 5 deer with it, all one shot kills. Just load a quality 100 gr bullet and enjoy.

I bought my very first .243 just a few days ago. It's also my very first Ruger No. 1. I mainly bought it for the grandsons to use and eventually have as their own. They are still in the BB gun and 22LR stage of life, so I will use the .243 for a few years. It is a RSI version (Mannlicher stock), so thinking about putting a ghost ring sight on it for now.

BTW, I found a place on Ammoseek that has Norma ammo for $21/box of 20. It's 100 gr but not real fast, ~2800 fps. Perfect for target practice and gives me quality brass to reload.

i Had a good friend that i shot with and made several hunts with that hated the 243 as much or more than Bob. He was to the point that he wouldn’t even say 243, but would call it “that unmentionable rifle” or the “great crippler of western game”. He did some guiding in his earlier years and had several bad experiences with hunters trying To shoot at longer ranges than they were capable of while using the wrong bullets Using 243s. I’d get him riled up before a hunt saying I was going to bring my 6mm-08.

He‘s passed on now but I think about him whenever I see the posts about 243. I don’t think he would have even used 243 barrels as tomato stakes - he wouldn’t have had them on his property.

PhoenixPhil, we agree on the .243 being very adequate for deer - I’ve taken 1/2 dozen whitetail and one black bear with the.243 (the bear was unexpected). Question: Would you consider the .25-06 near perfect for Coues deer at long distance ? Less “bazooka” like then the 7mm. I don’t have much long range deer shooting opportunities where I hunt - only when I travel out west and then I like my .270. Must be nice to see game from a distance on a regular basis, any “stalk” is a rare treat for me
Coues deer are seldom a slam dunk. And I am not claiming to be any kind of expert. But I live in the heart of Coues deer and Mearn’s quail country so I spend a fair amount of time hunting or observing these wonderful animals. I am still learning.
I think that the 25-‘06 IS nearly perfect for these shy little deer.

I bought my very first .243 just a few days ago. It's also my very first Ruger No. 1. I mainly bought it for the grandsons to use and eventually have as their own. They are still in the BB gun and 22LR stage of life, so I will use the .243 for a few years. It is a RSI version (Mannlicher stock), so thinking about putting a ghost ring sight on it for now.

BTW, I found a place on Ammoseek that has Norma ammo for $21/box of 20. It's 100 gr but not real fast, ~2800 fps. Perfect for target practice and gives me quality brass to reload.
@375 Ruger Fan
2,800fps is to be expected out of a 243 with 100 grainers. Unfortunately it ain't all Winchester cracked it up to be velocity wise. Hell they even revised their velocities down because they knew they were pie in the sky.
Bob

i Had a good friend that i shot with and made several hunts with that hated the 243 as much or more than Bob. He was to the point that he wouldn’t even say 243, but would call it “that unmentionable rifle” or the “great crippler of western game”. He did some guiding in his earlier years and had several bad experiences with hunters trying To shoot at longer ranges than they were capable of while using the wrong bullets Using 243s. I’d get him riled up before a hunt saying I was going to bring my 6mm-08.

He‘s passed on now but I think about him whenever I see the posts about 243. I don’t think he would have even used 243 barrels as tomato stakes - he wouldn’t have had them on his property.
@DG870
Your friend sounds like he was a great bloke. Him and I would have got on well. No need to worry I will carry the flag for him on the dislike of the 243.
Bob

Coues deer are seldom a slam dunk. And I am not claiming to be any kind of expert. But I live in the heart of Coues deer and Mearn’s quail country so I spend a fair amount of time hunting or observing these wonderful animals. I am still learning.
I think that the 25-‘06 IS nearly perfect for these shy little deer.
@Nevada Mike
The 25-06 is perfect on most any deer species and has even been used successfully in elk. Nought wrong with a fast 25.
Bob

@MS 9x56
You summed me up pretty well.
Care factor zero about what people think or say about me. If people don't like me I'm not going to loose any sleep over it or try to impress them.
Bob
Bob you are a renascence man and an inspiration to me. As you can see I don’t set my sights too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelliJama

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa