Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

sureshot375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Ok guys. This one is a screenshot of my 2021 bull.

Where are you aiming??
IMG_3137.jpeg

Wow
You were close!!

None. Yellow misses the brain. Red is a bit too far back to be a proper frontal brain, you might get some spine. In between red and yellow is very close. Green is not good with the body angle. I bet if he takes a step or turns toward you have a better shot presented. Just my opinion. Nice elephant.

I appreciate your honesty on the range.

Still ... I bow hunt.
Inside 40 yds is close. I've been within 6 ft of pigs over 400 lbs... Like a Chevy Tahoe or Toyota 4 runner on legs.

On a beastie that can outrun you, pull down the tree you're in, smash up the vehicle you're in, and literally turn you into a bloody pulp, that's pretty damn close.

Bravo to pachyderm hunters. May you be safe.

Actually 40 isn't very close in terms of ele hunts. In a lot of ways, the hunt is beginning at 50 yards and gets much closer after that. Depends on the cover but 20-25 is common...sometimes closer. It's very different than most other hunts.

Personally, I don't like any of those 3 shots. Angle is off. You've got time...wait for a better broadside and 35 is kind of far for a brain shot.

Between the red and yellow spot and slightly lower I would put a proper solid in this situation.

Yeah, as others have said, things will be better if he either takes another few steps or turns and looks at you. At that angle, red isn't terrible for a side brain shot, but it's a bit hard to know exactly. Yellow is aiming at nothing important. Green can work, but the shoulder bone is massive. Better to be broadside or slightly quartering away.

If you do try red, and it doesn't work, you'll need a quick follow up in the body if he turns and runs.

I don’t think my PH would have let me shoot 35 yards. But to play along. In front of the Green and in front of the Red.

Bolt action .505 Gibbs with CEB solids

Good comments. 35 yards is on the longer side of shots for elephant. Because of the elephant destruction due to the gross overpopulation of elephants in the area, getting closer wasn’t an option.

Also, I waited for what seemed like an eternity until I had a shot I liked or at least could live with. He never got in a great position for front or side. He stayed somewhat quartering. I’m to the right of the camera a good bit so my angle was even worse. The wind was strong and he was busy feeding. I had no need to try to rush a shot.

I’ll post a short video clip later of how things played out.

Right edge of red. Then reload quickly

None of these shots are very good.
Yellow is a clear miss and you'll need to be quick to put in a second one while he is running away
Red, you are aiming above the eye and already shooting upwards. the brain will be in line between the bottom of the ear slit and the eye. So will be a miss, maybe a stun in this case.
Green, is probably the only surely deadly one, by at least getting one lung, but you better have some good solids, as you might need to punch through some bone there.

From this angle, to get to the brain, you would need to shoot just above and to the right of his eye.

Last edited:
I would shoot green. The brain shot is best to place from the front, possibly even if the animal is standing well broadside, but in other cases the risk is high to miss the brain. I speak from personal negative experience.

But it also depends on the cartridge used. Since I only have shot elephants first with the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum and the last three with the cartridge 500 Schüler, I would prefer the heart shot in all cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay A Huminsky

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg