• Total voters

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This seems to be the typical shot given in Zimbabwe. I took this screen shot from a video posted on a .450 used on a charging buffalo.

Tell me shoot or don’t shoot.

Which dot

What rifle, caliber and bullet. Scope, red dot or irons

This young man made a killing shot on this bull standing as shown.
IMG_5080.jpeg

This seems to be the typical shot given in Zimbabwe. I took this screen shot from a video posted on a .450 used on a charging buffalo.

Tell me shoot or don’t shoot.

Which dot

What rifle, caliber and bullet. Scope, red dot or irons

This young man made a killing shot on this bull standing as shown. View attachment 620729
Red looks like it’s on the shoulder (my vote). Blue looks too high (maybe close to the neck(?) but I can’t tell for sure. Yellow looks like high lungs(?).

Scoped with something you shoot well. I bet that looked a lot better through a scope.

IMO

Hard to tell from the photo, but I think I’m going yellow and sending a second one right behind it. Open sights.

Red looks like it might be a little briskety to me.

Hell, I can’t even make out the buff. Maybe I should stick to ducks. :cool:

Had a little trouble figuring out where the shoulder is. I’d hold off taking the shot.

Can't see clear enough with irons. This is a good example of why you can take more buff and better ones with optics than with irons. I see these shot presentations a LOT and would need to look through the scope while the PH was looking with binos. I would be on the sticks but can't tell if I would take the shot or not from this photo. Most buff do not stand in the open and look at you from close by. Last 2 seasons, I have had this type of presentation at least a dozen times...I took 3 bulls, all with optics and some presentations I would not shoot even with optics. I have also not wounded anything in my approach. Shooting = dead buff. This happens a lot with PG also...it's just a common situation. It's also a good case to make for going a little bigger than minimum calibers on buff. I recommend something like 416. 375 feels a little puny on my DG hunts...I've made it work but it feels light and I usually go with 416 and 400 grain bullets. They exit almost every angle.

This is one where it's very difficult to place the anatomy of the animal from a still picture. Looking at it it in the bush with your own eyes you can see movement, and get an outline of the animal.

That being said, I think Wishfulthinker580 has it right.
Red looks like it’s on the shoulder (my vote). Blue looks too high (maybe close to the neck(?) but I can’t tell for sure. Yellow looks like high lungs(?).

Scoped with something you shoot well. I bet that looked a lot better through a scope.

IMO

Back part of red, and shoot. :)

As far as deflection of bullets is concerned, the location of the brush matters. If it's right in front of the barrel, a 5 degree deflection will be many feet (and possible tumbling) at the target. If the brush is right in front of the animal, a 5 degree deflection won't move the POI even an inch. The distance travelled isn't even enough to allow the bullet to yaw or tumble much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowell8499

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg