BC Outfitter Stole? my Deposit. Any Ideas?

The outfitter in question has contacted me. I will begin by stating that I received a full refund of my deposit this morning via wire transfer into my checking account and I thank him for that. Out of respect for him and our discussion I am not going to divulge details here except to say that he stated he did not receive any of my communications over the last 5-6 months. He did however receive my email that included the link to this post and he called me as soon as he received it and promptly refunded my deposit. We agreed that it would be best to go our separate ways amicably. Thank you all.
…..the power of AH!!

The outfitter in question has contacted me. I will begin by stating that I received a full refund of my deposit this morning via wire transfer into my checking account and I thank him for that. Out of respect for him and our discussion I am not going to divulge details here except to say that he stated he did not receive any of my communications over the last 5-6 months. He did however receive my email that included the link to this post and he called me as soon as he received it and promptly refunded my deposit. We agreed that it would be best to go our separate ways amicably. Thank you all.
Glad it worked out for you

Are you going to look for another outfitter for a Wolverine, I would probably have to try for a lynx as well. Good luck!
Two of the most elusive animals in the north woods

Two of the most elusive animals in the north woods
Wolverine are notorious for raiding traplines. Find a trapper who is being raided, set up a bait, and wait for the bugger to make his rounds. My experience with wolverine in Alaska is they can be quite bold. I remember a pair of them waltzing past the ranger station at Brooks Camp in broad daylight.

Wolverine are notorious for raiding traplines. Find a trapper who is being raided, set up a bait, and wait for the bugger to make his rounds. My experience with wolverine in Alaska is they can be quite bold. I remember a pair of them waltzing past the ranger station at Brooks Camp in broad daylight.
@Ontario Hunter: Regarding Wolverine, I would like to hear from someone (Outfitter or Guide) that actually hunts them with some regularity & success - clearly that’s NOT You. Your idea to “find a Trapper who is being raided etc..” would be Harder then finding a Wolverine !
Since I’ve Never trapped one, or shot one, or hunted one (I’ve only ever seen One) I also have NO Idea how to hunt one…so I have nothing useful to contribute. Unlike Lynx that can be hunted successfully with good hounds I have No idea how you could hunt Wolverine other then over a fresh kill - the way most are shot as “incidentals” ie: after a Moose has been killed and carcass dressed & boned out etc…. But that requires you to be on a Guided Moose hunt, kill your Moose and then be allowed to sit over the carcass for a few days. With most Moose shot in early Fall (September?) I don’t even know if Wolverine would be in Season? Even then, they wouldn’t be in “prime fur”.
My Alaska Grizz Guide told me he had only seen 3 Wolverine in the 10 years he’d been guiding - one was on our hunt, an “incidental” that just ran by —- 2 weeks after the Wolverine Season had ENDED.
I did a lot of research before my Lynx hunt and decided BC was the place to go - Not too many Guides specialize in Lynx so there are not many to choose from. But as far as Wolverine, the only things I’ve read are Outfitters in Alaska that do “Guided Traplines” where they take you out to run a trapline for 7-10 days, teach you how to trap and I guess you can keep some of your “catches”…..even then catching a Wolverine would not be guaranteed.
Would be interested in guided hunts that specialize in Wolverine or hearing from some that have taken one as a “targeted” animal.

I had a buddy who seemed to have developed a very effective trapping technique and caught seven in one season. Unfortunately he was killed in a wing over stall on the Kustatan strip that year. I know of no one in Alaska who hunts them successfully other than the odd incidental harvest.

A few photos of the wolverine I have. I bought the pelt from my Yukon outfitter at the end of my Dall sheep hunt. The outfitter traps them in the winter and had about a dozen pelts to select from. Both my hunting buddy and I thought they'd make a cool mount, so we both purchased one. Other than the critters my daughter has shot, this is the only mount in my trophy room that I did not personally harvest. And I'm okay with that! If you stare at the wolverine long enough, you'll start to think "miniature bear."

1723635289061.jpeg

1723635323757.jpeg

1723635938856.jpeg

I had a buddy who seemed to have developed a very effective trapping technique and caught seven in one season. Unfortunately he was killed in a wing over stall on the Kustatan strip that year. I know of no one in Alaska who hunts them successfully other than the odd incidental harvest.
@WAB: sorry about the tragic loss of your friend.
I admire anyone able to trap in “Winter conditions” - an art in itself and also the skill in being able to catch Wolverine with regularity. I also trap but fortunately don’t need to make a living at it (I’d starve), it is a hobby for me and I’m “self taught”. My Guide in Alaska was also a Trapper and he told me that Wolverine “fight a trap” harder then any other animal, they never tire and can actually pull/break some cheaper made foot traps apart - just from their relentless fighting the trap. I’m not sure what size trap he used for Wolverine but it was at least a #3 or larger….a lot of trap for an animal that only weighs #25 - #35lb.

Reactions: WAB
A few photos of the wolverine I have. I bought the pelt from my Yukon outfitter at the end of my Dall sheep hunt. The outfitter traps them in the winter and had about a dozen pelts to select from. Both my hunting buddy and I thought they'd make a cool mount, so we both purchased one. Other than the critters my daughter has shot, this is the only mount in my trophy room that I did not personally harvest. And I'm okay with that! If you stare at the wolverine long enough, you'll start to think "miniature bear."

View attachment 626394

View attachment 626395

View attachment 626400
@375 Ruger Fan - that’s very nice looking taxidermy and “unique”….not many people have a mounted Wolverine in their trophy room — “wildlife Art”.

@WAB: sorry about the tragic loss of your friend.
I admire anyone able to trap in “Winter conditions” - an art in itself and also the skill in being able to catch Wolverine with regularity. I also trap but fortunately don’t need to make a living at it (I’d starve), it is a hobby for me and I’m “self taught”. My Guide in Alaska was also a Trapper and he told me that Wolverine “fight a trap” harder then any other animal, they never tire and can actually pull/break some cheaper made foot traps apart - just from their relentless fighting the trap. I’m not sure what size trap he used for Wolverine but it was at least a #3 or larger….a lot of trap for an animal that only weighs #25 - #35lb.

My friend used a conniver on a vertical box set.

It was unfortunate that there was a need for this thread in the first place.

I cannot speak for BC, but at least in our remote part of Zim. Electricity is spotty as is internet. We do not have a dedicated office nor someone who sets by the phone waiting for it to ring. Oh, I forgot there is about a 8hr. time difference.

When I was in the hospital in RSA I did my best to answer questions like how much do you charge for your all inclusive $10,000.0 elephant hunts?

Most outfitters do there best to increase there business and they know how important communication are, but there are some who are not considerate. The same hold true on clients, ones that say they want the first 10 days in October, banking details are sent those days blocked and then you never hear from them again. I am sure the same thing happens in the classifieds.

I do not write this to stir the pot more than its already been stirred.

Lon

@Ontario Hunter: Regarding Wolverine, I would like to hear from someone (Outfitter or Guide) that actually hunts them with some regularity & success - clearly that’s NOT You. Your idea to “find a Trapper who is being raided etc..” would be Harder then finding a Wolverine !
Since I’ve Never trapped one, or shot one, or hunted one (I’ve only ever seen One) I also have NO Idea how to hunt one…so I have nothing useful to contribute. Unlike Lynx that can be hunted successfully with good hounds I have No idea how you could hunt Wolverine other then over a fresh kill - the way most are shot as “incidentals” ie: after a Moose has been killed and carcass dressed & boned out etc…. But that requires you to be on a Guided Moose hunt, kill your Moose and then be allowed to sit over the carcass for a few days. With most Moose shot in early Fall (September?) I don’t even know if Wolverine would be in Season? Even then, they wouldn’t be in “prime fur”.
My Alaska Grizz Guide told me he had only seen 3 Wolverine in the 10 years he’d been guiding - one was on our hunt, an “incidental” that just ran by —- 2 weeks after the Wolverine Season had ENDED.
I did a lot of research before my Lynx hunt and decided BC was the place to go - Not too many Guides specialize in Lynx so there are not many to choose from. But as far as Wolverine, the only things I’ve read are Outfitters in Alaska that do “Guided Traplines” where they take you out to run a trapline for 7-10 days, teach you how to trap and I guess you can keep some of your “catches”…..even then catching a Wolverine would not be guaranteed.
Would be interested in guided hunts that specialize in Wolverine or hearing from some that have taken one as a “targeted” animal.
@HankBuck, I grew up in Montana when they could be legally taken. Also I live in Northern Ontario where there are wolverine about (but not legal to harvest). I have seen one in Montana and three here locally. And I shoot trap/skeet with one of the ministry wolverine techs. The morning my wife found our son dead in bed I was on my way to help my best friend run his trap line. So yes, I know something of what I speak.

Wolverine have huge territories. They are roamers. Finding one can be a real challenge. I would imagine the outfitter has connections with the local trappers network (typically Native fellas) and they know where the wolverine are. If they can be shot, they can be trapped. But I'm sure the quota for each trapper is very limited. If he gets his quota (probably one), he'll need help getting rid of a raider. He takes more than his quota (which happens because only killer traps are allowed), he has to turn them over to ministry for nothing. So it's better to sell the information to an outfitter so he can get a client on the wolverine. Yes, it's gotta be baiting. Stalking one would be arduous work ... probably hundreds of miles on snowshoes.

One of my dad's best friends growing up in Montana was a trapper. He took an occasional wolverine and many cats. He had hounds for the cats but I don't believe he used them for wolverine. I seem to recall he trapped them. Eventually, when they went on the List, I remember seeing photos in the paper of ones he live trapped to relocate and/or for study. Ray said the buggers were the definition of mean. Scary mean.

A wolverine hunt was on my wish list a long time ago. It would not be easy. Running a trap line with an outfitter might be the best bet.

My friend used a conniver on a vertical box set.
Big box! That's conibear killer traps. One big enough for wolverine could easily crush an arm if not careful. They are wicked!

I would keep trying to contact him. I sympathize with you but I would want some kind of response before jumping to conclusions. Find someone who knows him (FB, AH, Guides assn)
Keep us posted please.

A wolverine hunt was on my wish list a long time ago. It would not be easy. Running a trap line with an outfitter might be the best bet.
Only way

@JeffUSMC Technically, the outfitter has not stolen your $1000 deposit for a 2026 hunt. You simply can’t get in touch with him in 2024. Yes, poor communication can be frustrating. Suggest you have a friend or relative contact the outfitter, posing as a potential client looking for some high dollar hunt. Think moose/bear combo or a father/son hunt. If the outfitter replies quickly, then you should email or call immediately. I helped a buddy out who was having problems with an unsavory Alaskan outfitter.

I’m curious about booking a wolverine hunt. I know a lot of guides trap them and they are sometimes a target of opportunity when hunting something else, like moose, caribou, bear, etc. I didn’t know people actually hunted them as the main course.
They don’t. This is why the whole situation sounds fishy. I still think he should keep trying to contact him and not jump to conclusions.

I would keep trying to contact him. I sympathize with you but I would want some kind of response before jumping to conclusions. Find someone who knows him (FB, AH, Guides assn)
Keep us posted please.
He already got his deposit returned with an apology ... after he emailed a link to this thread to the outfitter.

Post in thread 'BC Outfitter Stole? my Deposit. Any Ideas?' https://www.africahunting.com/threads/bc-outfitter-stole-my-deposit-any-ideas.84787/post-1279748

One thing that folks need to remember is that outfitters talk about their bad clients just like we talk about bad outfitters

As I mentioned earlier, when I asked my guide about a wolverine while on my bear hunt he told me that he hadn't seen one in 10 or more years. And this is a guide that spends 10 out of 12 months in the wilds of British Colombia. His outfitting business is for bears, elk, deer, and moose. And during the off season he runs horseback trips and snowmobile tours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamaamal

Latest profile posts

Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles