Allure of the Ruger No1

I have just been on the Ruger site and it appears to indicate that the No1 in 275 Rigby is in current production this year. Can anyone verify that?
No I cannot. There is no traffic on the ROCS forum nor my Ruger No. 1 Facebook group to substantiate this. Last I heard it had been a few years since the manufacturing of any No. 1's had occurred.
Hi Kevin. Yes it is a limited edition and sold only through Lipsey’s. They are a wholesaler in the US. My guess is that they only distribute to US dealers.
Yes and they show in catalog but availability is not guaranteed. Ruger shows three limited production and Lipsey's shows a fourth with a color case hardened .22 Hornet in addition to the .257 Wby, .275 Rigby, and 6.5CM.

No I cannot. There is no traffic on the ROCS forum nor my Ruger No. 1 Facebook group to substantiate this. Last I heard it had been a few years since the manufacturing of any No. 1's had occurred.

Yes and they show in catalog but availability is not guaranteed. Ruger shows three limited production and Lipsey's shows a fourth with a color case hardened .22 Hornet in addition to the .257 Wby, .275 Rigby, and 6.5CM.
I've located locally that Lipsey's .22 Hornet and also the same Lipsey's but in 300 H&H.

I'm trying really, really hard to resist the siren song of those two. So much so that I'm getting on a plane to go hunting. At least that's what I tell myself...

I've located locally that Lipsey's .22 Hornet and also the same Lipsey's but in 300 H&H.

I'm trying really, really hard to resist the siren song of those two. So much so that I'm getting on a plane to go hunting. At least that's what I tell myself...

I’ve got one of the old No1’s in .22 hornet. It’s a neat rifle. I bought it new about 30 years ago at Cabela’s in Sydney. That’s a walk back in time!

Almost certainly a Lipsey or similar product; we wait with bated breath ...

Hi Kevin. Yes it is a limited edition and sold only through Lipsey’s. They are a wholesaler in the US. My guess is that they only distribute to US dealers.
Hi Doug, yes that is what they told the local SA importer.

Hi Doug, yes that is what they told the local SA importer.

Did the importer contact Ruger or Lipsey’s? If Ruger, a call to Lipsey’s might bear some fruit.

FWIW, I have a #1 in .300H&H. It’s an early #1S model with a 26” barrel. Made in 1990, I believe. It’s not a Lipseys nor one from Ruger’s “Boddington” African series that they did in the early 2000s.

Mine shoots great. I’ll try to get some pics up.
Please do Jack, these things are always a pleasure to see.

The contacts to make are Lipsey's @ +12257551333 Baton Rouge, LA, USA
or
Classic Sporting Arms www.classicsportingarms.com/contact/ or cleenewton@yahoo.com for his direct email. He will likely provide his telephone number at that point. This man is incredibly knowledgeable and great to talk to about the No. 1 and has made orders to Ruger over the years for limited product runs.

Those folks would know for sure.

I really like the No. 1 a lot. I've been infatuated with them way before a safari was even a thought in my life. One thing I've noticed, the 375HH, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott's seem to fetch a premium on the second-hand market. I can definitely see myself hunting DG one day. Keeping an eye out for a nice one in those aforementioned calibers.

I really like the No. 1 a lot. I've been infatuated with them way before a safari was even a thought in my life. One thing I've noticed, the 375HH, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott's seem to fetch a premium on the second-hand market. I can definitely see myself hunting DG one day. Keeping an eye out for a nice one in those aforementioned calibers.
I think the rices of Ruger No1's generally are low compared to what you are getting, even the big bores. Hold onto that dream Hookmeup, I took my buffalo with a 375 No1 and it has since gone on to take another.

I think the rices of Ruger No1's generally are low compared to what you are getting, even the big bores. Hold onto that dream Hookmeup, I took my buffalo with a 375 No1 and it has since gone on to take another.

How did you find it worked only having one shot to play with before reloading? That's really my only concern. From what I've heard, they are fantastic shooting rifles that shoulder incredibly well.

No problem at all, I am quite quick at it. The beauty of it is that you are sure the next bullet has fed properly and it will fire. Bolt guns sometimes do not, I have seen it far too often. I would take my double first, but a No1 second, the mechanical error is near zero.

Of the calibers that you mentioned the 375 seems to be both the most numerous and the most reasonably priced. I have seen a few lately that fit that category.

Of the calibers that you mentioned the 375 seems to be both the most numerous and the most reasonably priced. I have seen a few lately that fit that category.

Where did you see them? I admit, I usually go to Gunbroker first and there was only 1 available at the time and it was 20% higher than all the others.

Where did you see them? I admit, I usually go to Gunbroker first and there was only 1 available at the time and it was 20% higher than all the others.
I do more looking on GunsInternational. Its a site where you can talk directly with the seller and many times offers below the asking price are accepted. Also they usually have more to choose from. I shop both but GI is my favorite.

I also am very fond of the Ruger No 1. Took 2 buffalo with my 500 Sharps 2 1/2" (50-90 Sharps) last October. I wish I had a picture of the rifle because it is a beauty; NECG sights, Turnbull engraving & case color, McGowen dodcagon (12-sided) barrel, Jard trigger and custom metalwork by Steve Nelson.

The Sharps cartridge is similar to a 500 NE trimmed to 2 ½”. Bill Ruger's No 1 is an incredibly strong rifle so I handloaded to 500 NE ballistics and went to TZ.

20221019_094357214730543083827190_large (002).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-22 at 07.56.19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also am very fond of the Ruger No 1. Took 2 buffalo with my 500 Sharps 2 1/2" (50-90 Sharps) last October. I wish I had a picture of the rifle because it is a beauty; NECG sights, Turnbull engraving & case color, McGowen dodcagon (12-sided) barrel, Jard trigger and custom metalwork by Steve Nelson.

The Sharps cartridge is similar to a 500 NE trimmed to 2 ½”. Bill Ruger's No 1 is an incredibly strong rifle so I handloaded to 500 NE ballistics and went to TZ.
Very fine buffalo.

I do more looking on GunsInternational. Its a site where you can talk directly with the seller and many times offers below the asking price are accepted. Also they usually have more to choose from. I shop both but GI is my favorite.

I stopped dealing with GunBroker when they went onboard with the "e-commerce" tax. It used to be my go to. I'll have to check GI. Ideally, I'd like to buy something used from an FFL to begin with to have transferred to my FFL. There are definitely more available but not a ton on there in 375HH. I'm seeing maybe 5-6 that are reasonable. Then again, I might not be looking in all the right areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraCarr

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg