Allure of the Ruger No1

@Forrest Halley
A 375H&H is a bit of overkill one game that size mate, but don't worry I won't tell any one that's what calibre it is it will be our little secret.
Won't tell them that the bullet came apart on it either.
You're too kind to tell them all that I over pushed a game king and it came apart. Who would think it possible? I'll use ABs for anything heavier. You're pretty accustomed to over pushing a cartridge though aren't ya? Long live the turdy-phive! Haha!

Oh man, I hate when this happens...
Came across a Lipsey's in the gun rack chambered in .300 H&H. Color case hardening and nice wood. It would pair up nice with my 450/400.

Lessee, if I quite drinking coffee, cancel all the magazine subscriptions, and start walking to the store, I just might be able to swing it...

I have had several No1’s, only 2 now. One is 450:400 and the other is from a run of 250, it’s in 35 whelen. The wood is pretty nice on it.
Have the exact same battery of Ruger @1's, .35 Whelen, and 450/400 Nitro. The wood is nicer than the pictures show. Probably some of the last Ruger Quality. Just need a Ruger #1 in .223 Remington, for inexpensive practice.

Ruger Number 1 35 Whelen and 450 400Nitro Express.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the exact same battery of Ruger @1's, .35 Whelen, and 450/400 Nitro. The wood is nicer than the pictures show. Probably some of the last Ruger Quality. Just need a Ruger #1 in .223 Remington, for inexpensive practice.
Details on these 2 rifles:

TOP RIFLE is a 450/400 Nitro Ruger #1, not the Craig Boddington edition, just extra from the run. Very Smooth action, high polish bluing, added NECG Red Fiber Optic Front Sight, excellent wood, good trigger, topped with a Leupold FX-II 4x33 with a German #4 reticle. Weighs 9.6 pounds unloaded, with sling. Shoots my 450/400 Double Rifle regulation load well, even though recoil is stout. Shoots a 300 grain Hornady accurately, with more comfortable recoil

BOTTOM RIFLE is a RUGER #1, .35 WHELEN, 24-inch barrel., Lipsey's special run with a lighter weight barrel. Nice wood and topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4x32 scope. Weighs 9.2 pounds unloaded with sling. Nice companion to the 450/400 Nitro. Shoots my Mauser 98 .35 Whelen reload of 250 grain RN at 2400 fps very well.

I'll post an updated range report soon, with targets.

@cash_tx
Is there a way to date them from the serial number? Or is it mentioned somewhere on the action?

I posted these pics on another thread, but thought they fit this thread as well. Here’s my 300 H&H with new stocks. I started with semi inletted stocks bought off a guy in California. I did the final inletting and stock finishing. Shoots better than before since the forend is now free floated.

View attachment 490678View attachment 490679View attachment 490680
My load may not work in your rifle. Work up to it per the loading manual recommendatigons.
Re-reading this thread!
thank you for saying work up to it per the loading manual recommendations.
This is VERY good advice!
Never use a load someone else has worked up for his rifle/handgun without checking with a reputable loading manual.

I suspect that almost everyone here knows to start at the recommended loads per reputable manuals….but just in case…it doesn’t hurt to say it. Maybe it will spare someone from learning the hard way!

The #1 has a lot of class. I was a private stationed in Alaska when I saw the 1st picture of one on a magazine cover. I first thought it was a Farquharson, but looked closer & it was a new rifle. I’ve been hooked ever since!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doris0158

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!