Allure of the Ruger No1

Here is my Ruger #1-H Tropical in .416 Rigby. I’m taking on a Cape Buffalo hunt June 2021. The idea of hunting “Africa’s Most Dangerous” according to Kevin Robertson with just one 400 gr. Swift A-Frame is a challenge I could not refuse. Also motivates me to dry fire practice reloading three days a week. Live fire 40 rounds at steel plates at 100-150 yards “off the sticks” and standing unsupported one day each week

View attachment 359258
That wood looks terrific, please can you post a picture of the whole rifle?

You’re cracking me up Forrest!

Kevin, might I suggest that you fill the void left by the .375 with a No 1 in .275 or .303? I love my No 1 in .275 (Thanks @Bonk!). One would make a great complement to your double gun.
I am trying so hard to find a 275 Rigby if possible, they are so scarce here.

How did you find it worked only having one shot to play with before reloading? That's really my only concern. From what I've heard, they are fantastic shooting rifles that shoulder incredibly well.
The key is practice, practice, practice. On my the first buffalo of the two I got my PH yelled "reload" but I already had. When the dust settled he commented "you sure are fast with that thing" or words to that effect. I think what really helps is getting the right ammo carrier; I got mine from African Creations. It sits computably on the right front corner of my hit. Very natural for grabbing another round, but it is the practicing that counts in a pinch.

I feel like the reloading goes a lot smoother with a pointed round in the straight wall cases such as a partition or a TSX. I feel like my Lott could use a better feed ramp on the chamber mouth to better feed solids in a hurry.
If using a tapered case one could likely get by with round noses for the follow-up shot. With all things, test and verify for yourself.

I really like the No. 1 a lot. I've been infatuated with them way before a safari was even a thought in my life. One thing I've noticed, the 375HH, 416 Rigby, and 458 Lott's seem to fetch a premium on the second-hand market. I can definitely see myself hunting DG one day. Keeping an eye out for a nice one in those aforementioned calibers.
Damn, I wish I'd have known about you wanting one because I just got rid of a couple of them a couple of weeks ago. A 375 h&h and the 416 Rigby. The Rigby had the box and manual with it. I'd much rather it have gone to someone who'd have used it. I gotta start watching these forums more closely.

I feel like the reloading goes a lot smoother with a pointed round in the straight wall cases such as a partition or a TSX. I feel like my Lott could use a better feed ramp on the chamber mouth to better feed solids in a hurry.
If using a tapered case one could likely get by with round noses for the follow-up shot. With all things, test and verify for yourself.
Sorry Forrest I just don't see the problem, the rounds just drop in, the big ones anyway.

Damn, I wish I'd have known about you wanting one because I just got rid of a couple of them a couple of weeks ago. A 375 h&h and the 416 Rigby. The Rigby had the box and manual with it. I'd much rather it have gone to someone who'd have used it. I gotta start watching these forums more closely.

Yeah that's a shame. I might have (much to my wife's chagrin lol) been interested in one of those. Oh well. Just have to keep my eyes open.

The solids seem to hitch a little in my gun with the lever fully open. I'm happy with the other rounds.
Hmmmm, I suppose the difference may be that my rifle is a .500 and to get that to work the gunmaker did do some work on the feed ramp; I forgot about that. One of the other modifications was to create a new safety and recess it into the tang so those fat cartridges would eject cleanly.

Hmmmm, I suppose the difference may be that my rifle is a .500 and to get that to work the gunmaker did do some work on the feed ramp; I forgot about that. One of the other modifications was to create a new safety and recess it into the tang so those fat cartridges would eject cleanly.
Id like to see pictures of this contraption.

I am trying so hard to find a 275 Rigby if possible, they are so scarce here.

I was lucky to purchase one from one of our forum members and she is a beauty. :)

Contraption?

I don't have any pictures of the contraption since it was finished but these are from when it was being built.

Ruger No. 1 - 50 x 2.5 Sharps.jpg
Ruger1_50-90 001.JPG
DSC00108.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This picture was taken in Idaho after most of the work was done on the contraption. The bison was taken with a 625gr paper patch between the eyes at about 30 yards. You can see that the H model Alex Henry forend was replaced with ebony. Changes since then are Jard trigger (gold), Turnbull Case color and engraving; probably more that doesn't come to mind.

photo 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Contraption?

I don't have any pictures of the contraption since it was finished but these are from when it was being built.
That's a very pretty gun. What did you do for a rear sight? You may be able to get a fixed sight depending on your rear sight height.

That's a very pretty gun. What did you do for a rear sight? You may be able to get a fixed sight depending on your rear sight height.
I kept the Ruger folding read sight; yes I know the arguments. For me it works. I found the folding thing worked for getting it in/out of the "sheath" I used while transporting it in the safari truck. Also it doesn't block much of the field of view. I don't use a scope.

I kept the Ruger folding read sight; yes I know the arguments. For me it works. I found the folding thing worked for getting it in/out of the "sheath" I used while transporting it in the safari truck. Also it doesn't block much of the field of view. I don't use a scope.
It looks good and shoots very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeborahEde

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!