Allure of the Ruger No1

The standard Ruger No1 stock takes a lot of beating, at least aesthetically, the AH notch just 'works'. Few dress-up's are actually an improvement imho, but this one is.

@Kevin Peacocke, This is from the seller’s post, I’ll get a different one.

0FC192E6-45BE-436A-B6DF-A685AFBA33A4.jpeg

She is much prettier in person. :ROFLMAO:

Guys, I continue to find difficulty locating a 7x57 here in South Africa, but I have found a brand new 30-06 and a Crntenary model 308. Is the 30-06 too big a step up from the 7x57?

Guys, I continue to find difficulty locating a 7x57 here in South Africa, but I have found a brand new 30-06 and a Crntenary model 308. Is the 30-06 too big a step up from the 7x57?
The '06 is where it's at. You have 100 to 240 grains if you're willing to load for it. Used to be factory loads from 110 to 220. Very versatile rifle. You should invest based on the availability in your area.
And really important:
For the love of God...don't get rid of this one. The Almighty doesn't forgive repeated sinners. :E Lol: :A Stirring:

The way I compare them is with bullets of similar sectional density the 7x57 does with 154-160gr bullets what the '06 does with 180gr bullets which is give or take a bit 2700fps. Its a reasonable step up but both great cartridges.

I have decided upon the 30-06. It is what I can get, brand new and reasonably priced, and considering that PG all the way up to eland will be on the ticket I think it is the correct choice. The shop will put a red pad on for me.
Here it is:
B431B728-CB06-4CE2-ADE8-E0C3EBE82808.jpeg

I have decided upon the 30-06. It is what I can get, brand new and reasonably priced, and considering that PG all the way up to eland will be on the ticket I think it is the correct choice. The shop will put a red pad on for me.
Here it is:
View attachment 528549
Nice rifle, you did well!

I just recently acquired my first Ruger No.1, in .30-06.
She’s actually a Ruger No. 1S, with the Alexander Henry forend. She has the Ruger rings, but a lackluster 2-7x32 Vortex scope in them. I’m definitely getting a new scope for it.

HawkView attachment 429119
View attachment 429120
Same as mine. I think the barrel weight and dimensions are particularly well balanced in this model.

The #1 has a lot of class. I was a private stationed in Alaska when I saw the 1st picture of one on a magazine cover. I first thought it was a Farquharson, but looked closer & it was a new rifle. I’ve been hooked ever since!
Same story, about 1978 or so.

Here it is:
View attachment 528549

Congrats, Kevin. The 1A configuration with the Alex Henry forend is a lovely. I suspect with the 240gr woodleighs that 06 would be one heck of a close work stopper on your biggie stuff in Zim too. (Giraffe, Eland, Cats)

Highly recommend you getting a pair of the Alaska Arms QD low rings for that gun so you can go back and forth between Jesse gun mode and long range destroyer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiillmara

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg