.308 rifle recommendations?

I am not too familiar with the Kimber rifles but they seem like a nice gun. What is the general consensus on them? The Cooper is more than I am wanting to spend for this gun I would like to keep it under 3k.

I love the browning rifles but I just hate their wood finish.
I have a Kimber in 243, it is a tack driver. I love it. Light to carry and very well balanced.
MarkCZ

@Rubi_300, how about a really nice CZ550FS .308? CRF and a Mannlicher stock. Just what you were looking for. PM if interested.

tempImageBVdzGs.png

Are they into Blaser R8 price territory? If so it will be a hard sell against an R8
Pretty much. Modularity is apparently a thing now. Easy to replace barrel, scope mounted on the barrel, easy to swap stocks (separate buttstock and fore end). Looks like the carbon stock costs more than the walnut.

(Finnish pricing tends to be higher than US, even though they are made here)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.20 PM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.21 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.23 PM.png
    665.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.24 PM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.26 PM.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.46.29 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.47.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.47.14 PM.png
    898.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.47.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.47.15 PM.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.47.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 12.47.18 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
I am not too familiar with the Kimber rifles but they seem like a nice gun. What is the general consensus on them? The Cooper is more than I am wanting to spend for this gun I would like to keep it under 3k.

I love the browning rifles but I just hate their wood finish.
@Rubi_300
My son has a Howa 308 that is stupid accurate and is available in timber and blueds or stainless steel barrel or tikka do a nice 308 as well.
Both reasonably priced.
Bob

Buy the new Benelli LUPO B.E.S.T w/satin walnut, crio barrel, the works. One of the best rifles for the money coming out of italy right now.

I have an M1A Tanker and it is a blast to shoot and plink with. However, it's accuracy doesn't match modern bolt action hunting rifles, and with its 16" barrel and the integrated flash suppressor/break, it is incredibly loud. I'd have no trouble bringing one along for a close quarters pig hunt as long as I had ear protection, but not sure I'd want to make it my go-to .308 hunting rig.
I do agree with what you said! I live in Yuma, AZ and it's great for when game might be running close by. Like you said it is VERY loud!! I carry the Walker Ear Protection with me that has the noise reduction built in. It did however do the job on the Javelina I dropped at 30yds!

received_560219875752318.jpeg
received_389569723100955.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am going the Sako 85 route, went to my LGS today. They are checking availability and pricing. Wanting to go with the 85 classic in 308 with 20" barrel that is threaded. They are also going to see how much it would cost to upgrade to the "high grade wood" not sure what the actual grade is but it looks nice without going overkill to the exhibition grade. Also they offer the factory engraving options. Seeing what that will bring it out to be. If it isn't absurd I will go with it but will probably end up with the normal wood and no engraving to stay within budget. I will update everyone on what the prices come back at and lead times!

If lead time is too crazy then I might end up going the Kimber 84 route. Thank you everyone for all the input and advice!

Just got a call from my LGS. It is official, the sako 85 is discontinued. They didn’t have any in stock anywhere either. Also going forward according to their sako rep they might not do any custom shop orders at all.
I am set on a sako 85 at this point. Does anyone have an 85 classic in 308 for sale?

Its interesting that none of the official web sites mentioned this news, of 85 being discontinued.
The earliest announcement of phasing out, I found on internet was on some forum dating at 2005, or 06.

85s are still on Sako official web site. Strange. No any earlier signals.
So, we will see.

Last edited:
The 85 is not discontinued they just can’t fulfil orders due to a new release and to honour a military contract for the Ukraine conflict. Here in Europe you can still order an 85 but there is no delivery date.

Sako have to make a dollar.so they look to streamline production.

The 'Poor man's Sako" Tikka are probably selling better than the Sako.

I imagine the Sako purists still want the same quality and standard that Sako were founded on. They are willing pay for desirable models.

These new Sako models will just be Tikkas fancy friend.
Love the 7 i have!

When looking last month for sako 85 I was told they are done and replaced by the model 100.
Sako 100 is much more expensive than most 85s.

The S20 is in the same ballpark with the 85 pricewise. Also somewhat modular with takedown stocks that consist of an aluminum skeleton and composite. You can easily replace the buttstock and fore-end of the S20: thumbhole hunting stock and a more "ergonomic" and bulky precision stock in a few different colors.

sako s20.png

Just got a call from my LGS. It is official, the sako 85 is discontinued. They didn’t have any in stock anywhere either. Also going forward according to their sako rep they might not do any custom shop orders at all.
I am set on a sako 85 at this point. Does anyone have an 85 classic in 308 for sale?

The first murmurings I got of the 85 being discontinued were in August of 2021. I spoke to an Orvis manager whose Beretta rep basically told him that U.S. Sako dealers couldn't place new orders for 85s and that the model would be sunsetted at some point in the near future.

That's how I came in contact with Jerry at JD Outfitters (@JD Outfitters), as he was one of the only people I could find who had 85s in stock. If I remember correctly, Jerry basically bought out the rights to the remaining custom order 85s in the U.S., and for the last 12-18 months he's been placing regular orders to Finland and receiving new rifles. That's why you can barely find one new 85 for sale at online retailers but he has a couple dozen for sale on Gunbroker.

Here's a list of his in stock Sakos.

It might be worth it to reach out to Jerry and see if he can order one. It's probably going to be steeper than what you were initially hoping to spend, however.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 4.27.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 4.27.39 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 4.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 4.27.40 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 4.27.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 4.27.41 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
That's kinda how I am approaching this next rifle. I have never heard of the KR1, how would it compare to a Blaser r8?

Are the Kimber 84's CRF? What are the bad experiences people have had? My main draw to the Sako 85 is that it is CRF and has a detachable magazine.
The Sako 85 is not a proper CRF action but rather a lot closer to a pushfeed action.....
Yaya I know Sako fans will jump all over me for that statement but it is what it is and it aint a proper CRF action.....

Getting the magazine out is also a pain in the arse as it requires both hands to do it....
They are however accurate.....but so are many other better designed rifles....

In my place new models of Sako, are not selling well.

People buy, either Tikka t3x, or Sako 85.
Nobody buys other versions.
I suspect it's the adjustable comb, that looks like it belongs on a competition shotgun.

Are they into Blaser R8 price territory? If so it will be a hard sell against an R8
Sako 85 in 308WIN are going for $2K and up depending on wood or synthetic and stainless or blued. Blaser Professional R8 (synthetic) 308WIN are about double that...add in a nice timber stock and prices go to $6K...and up.

What I will say is that the Sako 85 and Blaser R8 are very different rifles. About the only thing they have in common is that they shoot rifle cartridges.

Tell you the truth...I'm not sure why you didn't jump all over that Kimber I posted from GB back on page 2.

Getting the magazine out is also a pain in the arse as it requires both hands to do it....
They are however accurate.....but so are many other better designed rifles....

Not all 85s have detachable magazines. I have an 85 Deluxe and it's an internal mag with hinged floorplate. I believe the Deluxe, Classic Deluxe, and Safari models are all hinged floorplate mags.

The nice thing about the detachable mag 85s is that you don't actually need to remove them to reload or top off the mag. You can top load through the action just like any internal mag rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim T

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!