.308 rifle recommendations?

I would stick with the SAKO 85 Classic, stock from the factory. They have nice wood and very accurate. Don’t go cheap on the rings, buy the SAKO Optilock rings and bases.
The Sako is what I am leaning towards as of now. It fits the budget and seems to offer the nicest features within the budget. My only real concern with the Sako is that it is not a true CRF. To my understanding it is almost like a hybrid. Has anyone ever had any issues with this design? I am not hunting DG with this, just paper, coyotes, boar and whitetail. If I really like the gun maybe it'll end up in Africa with me on a PG hunt.

The case came with the rifle. It's branded Sako but it's a Negrini Case. The Bavarian Carbine did not come with a case. I'm not sure the reasoning why some come with a case and some don't. The Turkish walnut on the Deluxe is definitely a higher grade and nicer, but I am pleased with both.

View attachment 508536
View attachment 508537

Yes, both were custom shop guns. I don't remember the exact wait on the Deluxe, but it was a couple months. Not bad. The Bavarian Carbine was a bit longer--I think like 10 months or so?
That's not a bad wait at all. I am over 6 months waiting for my Winchester M70 maple, with another 6 to go.

The upgraded wood on yours is really making me question if I should go custom shop now lol

The Sako is what I am leaning towards as of now. It fits the budget and seems to offer the nicest features within the budget. My only real concern with the Sako is that it is not a true CRF. To my understanding it is almost like a hybrid. Has anyone ever had any issues with this design? I am not hunting DG with this, just paper, coyotes, boar and whitetail. If I really like the gun maybe it'll end up in Africa with me on a PG hunt.

I have the 85 Classic in 308, 300 and 375. The 375 went to Africa, I have no concerns.

I don’t buy into the Push v CFR argument. The US military uses push feed Remingtons against the most dangerous game known to man, an enemy with a gun that can shoot back.

I have been thinking about going that route but to my knowledge it is just an expensive Remington 700?

The current M12s do have a re-profiled receiver introduced in ~2019 and now take R 700 bases, as do their Sauer 100 / 101 cousins

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/mauser-rifles-m12-pre-2019-vs-m12-2019-onward/

My M12 is the original version, takes M98 bases.

I have both, while the Rem 700s are good, the M12 is all around a big step up in my view - balance, finish, engineering, detachable mag.

As others have said, the Sakos are certainly a classy, well made rifle and you can't go wrong with one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.16 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.17 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.19 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.20 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.22 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.24 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.25 AM.png
    679.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 11.57.27 AM.png
    461.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
My only requirements are a nice wood stock, bolt action, and something quality. I've been looking at the Sako 85 Classic with a 20" barrel since I plan on suppressing this.
Look no more.
I have and tried significant number of modern bolt action rifles. Sako 85, for the price is top pick, in my opinion.

Produced in 6 action lengths. (which suggest no shortcuts in design with various size of cartridge families)
Steel and wood. (who else makes guns with old fashion materials like steel and wood today?)
Modern controlled feed.
Free floating barrel.
Accuracy guaranty. (1 moa)
Double square bridge design, with dove tail, as scope base. (what other new factory rifle has that???)
Double stack, 5 round magazine, flush with stock, made of inox. (which other factory rifle has that thing today, like metal magazine??)
Three position safety.
Single set trigger, light as feather.
60 degree, bolt rotation with three lugs infront. (ok, not critical for me, but 60 degrees rotation is still better then 90 degrees rotation)
Palm swell on stock grip.

Find any other rifle with all that, and than compare the price.
Take sako 85.

roe deer 2021.jpg

@Rubi_300 that's not a bad budget for a beater. I would not request engraving, I'll bet it costs a packet on a custom order and does not improve function.

I think you could buy something decent budget then buy decent optics.

CRF vs Push feed could've an endless debate. Even the Tikka feeds reliably in different positions

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new rifle mainly something new to shoot and carry around the farm to thin the coyote population. Also, I would like to take it on a hog hunting trip and maybe take it for whitetail. I know this site is mainly for African hunting so there isn't too much .308 stuff on here but there is a wealth of knowledge within everyone on here so I figured I'd ask.

My only requirements are a nice wood stock, bolt action, and something quality. I've been looking at the Sako 85 Classic with a 20" barrel since I plan on suppressing this. I am a big Model 70 fan but am wanting to venture out into something new for this rifle. I am open to any brands and why you think it would be a good fit.
Hi there, I'm using a .308 CZ 550 for 35years, still love him. I took almost every species in Africa with it, excluding dangerous game. Only my 2cent.
Regards Johan

IMG_6495.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, what you first started describing sounded an awful lot like a Steyr Scout... but then you said wooden stock. So my next thought was a Kiplauf, like the Merkel K3, but you said bolt action. Must it be a bolt? The handiness of a Kiplauf can only be believed once you've held one.

Must it be new? If not, I'd seriously consider a Mannlicher Schoenauer made after 1957 or so.

As far as the .308 in a standard action, nothing to it but stroke length, but why? If I had a .308 caliber bullet in a standard action, I'd just go .30-06 and be done with it.

Then again, I pretty much go .30-06 for everything anyway, so I'm probably not impartial on this one...

I have been thinking about going that route but to my knowledge it is just an expensive Remington 700?
I would say there is part truth to that in that it's a push feed action, however the similarities would end there. Particularly when you want to move up to a Blaser R8 and are thinking about what price you will be asking for the rifle you currently own. The fit, finish, attention to detail and engineering differences are night and day. Do yourself a favor and look at them side by side...then you can tell me what you think.

There are some really good deals out there if you are patient about it. Something like finding a buddy selling his rifles and wants to make you a good deal or an estate sale where you can buy five firearms for a good price, keep the one you want and sell the others. These things happen. It was my impression that you were looking for something more immediately available.

In general, you will get what you pay for.

As for the great PF/CRF debate, I don't take the bait. There are rifles that are reliable and ones that are not, regardless of action. You will need to shoot your rifle several hundred times to prove it one way or the other. I will say that I've seen more failures as a result of improper care, maintenance or operator error than can truly be attributed to the action itself.

I don't see people complaining about Sako 85 reliability - and they have the Sako 1 MOA accuracy guarantee. If you want one, better get it soon: I've understood that the 85 is being discontinued, if it hasn't yet.

I’ve been looking at the Mauser m18. I know it’s a totally opposite direction that I’m looking but for the price I think I would like to get one. Does anyone have experience with one?
I have one M18, model Waldjagd. Cold hammer forged (51cm), sub-MOA precision guaranteed, M17x1 muzzle thread, equipped with open sights, double-row 5-shot magazine, three-position safety system which acts directly on the trigger lug. Total length 101 cm.
Fot the price, super!
For me it is like a Glock - you can't love it, it is a cheap mixture of steel and plastic, but a perfect tool that do the job!

PSX_20220117_214147.jpg
PSX_20210728_094210.jpg
PSX_20220924_123023.jpg
PSX_20230101_144739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see people complaining about Sako 85 reliability - and they have the Sako 1 MOA accuracy guarantee. If you want one, better get it soon: I've understood that the 85 is being discontinued, if it hasn't yet.
I am not surprised:
they already launched some "hybrids". such as S20, sako 100, sako a7.
To all this 3 I wouldn't give a second look, They are just not my type of rifle, but I am not saying anything about quality... they could be good. But in my eyes they lack "something".

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new rifle mainly something new to shoot and carry around the farm to thin the coyote population. Also, I would like to take it on a hog hunting trip and maybe take it for whitetail. I know this site is mainly for African hunting so there isn't too much .308 stuff on here but there is a wealth of knowledge within everyone on here so I figured I'd ask.

My only requirements are a nice wood stock, bolt action, and something quality. I've been looking at the Sako 85 Classic with a 20" barrel since I plan on suppressing this. I am a big Model 70 fan but am wanting to venture out into something new for this rifle. I am open to any brands and why you think it would be a good fit.
I would also look at:

Anschütz mod. 1872 (well known as top biatlon rifles, founded in 1856)

Heym SR 21. Wait 2 weeks, Heym is updating Web page. Many variations are now not listed.

Last edited:
Never had a feeding or ejection issue with any 85 I’ve owned from 222 to 375. I know your leaning toward a classic but I’m currently using a finnlight 2 and am very happy with its performance as a daily working rifle.

Honestly, what you first started describing sounded an awful lot like a Steyr Scout... but then you said wooden stock. So my next thought was a Kiplauf, like the Merkel K3, but you said bolt action. Must it be a bolt? The handiness of a Kiplauf can only be believed once you've held one.

Must it be new? If not, I'd seriously consider a Mannlicher Schoenauer made after 1957 or so.

As far as the .308 in a standard action, nothing to it but stroke length, but why? If I had a .308 caliber bullet in a standard action, I'd just go .30-06 and be done with it.

Then again, I pretty much go .30-06 for everything anyway, so I'm probably not impartial on this one...
Yes it has to be new since I have so much money in gift cards to my LGS. I have plenty of 30-06 already so trying to get something cheap to shoot that I don't already have. The Kiplauf does seem extremely fun and handy.

Dakota made a short action version of their Model 76. I expect you could find one at resale. Wonderful M70 style CRF action, very nice wood and finish.

My only real concern with the Sako is that it is not a true CRF. To my understanding it is almost like a hybrid.
Depends on definition what is hybrid.
(For me hybrid is modern rifle, with dual use for sport/target shooting and hunting, with modern ergonomics, usually with polymer stocks, and eventually with modular systems, with more vertical grip, or frequently with thumbhole stock.
To me, hybrid is not necessarily determined by action type, ie put them in classic stock, they will be classic)

Sako 85 action is at worst advanced push feed, and at best modern CRF. And based on above, not hybrid. Hybrid means ergonomics.

on push feed and crf:
There is no realistic proof that push feed is actually less reliable then CRF.
Some rifles are junk, some are reliable, but you can find lemon with any type of action.

On concerns of functionality:
Ive been hunting with 85, 30.06, for more then 15 years in all 4 annual seasons, and never faced an issue with extraction, accuracy or any type of malfunction.

Depends on definition what is hybrid.
(For me hybrid is modern rifle, with dual use for sport/target shooting and hunting, with modern ergonomics, usually with polymer stocks, and eventually with modular systems, with more vertical grip, or frequently with thumbhole stock.
To me, hybrid is not necessarily determined by action type, ie put them in classic stock, they will be classic)

Sako 85 action is at worst advanced push feed, and at best modern CRF. And based on above, not hybrid. Hybrid means ergonomics.

on push feed and crf:
There is no realistic proof that push feed is actually less reliable then CRF.
Some rifles are junk, some are reliable, but you can find lemon with any type of action.

On concerns of functionality:
Ive been hunting with 85, 30.06, for more then 15 years in all 4 annual seasons, and never faced an issue with extraction, accuracy or any type of malfunction.
I meant with the hybrid design as in its a mix between a push feed and CRF in the sense that as the bolt strips the round out of the magazine it’s PF then as you are closing the bolt and the case head is able to be pushed onto the bolt then it becomes CRF in a sense.
Either way I’m not picky between a PF and CRF for this rifle. I was mainly just curious about the reliability of it. I am glad to hear not only from you but others as well that there are not any reliability issues. Is this a gun I should expect better than .5 MOA accuracy with the right ammo? Or does it stay around the 1 MOA like the guarantee from the factory?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!