.308 rifle recommendations?

I dont remember shooting it worse then 1 moa, ever, with several brands of factory ammo. (but also I did not test with dozens of types of ammo, just few brands locally available, and when found satisfactory ammo, I never changed, and I stick to that)

On the other hand, my best gruop ever was 30 mm, at 200 meters, that is 0.5 moa, with nosler ballistic tip, 180 grains. 30-06
(3 shot group, and I did not have balls to shoot 5 shots, to spoil this result)

Also, I have hunting scope, first focal plane, where crosshair dot in center is 1 moa. That dot usually covers entire group when aiming. So it is not target scope, with thin reticle, which would allow more accurate aiming.
In short, I cannot expect any better result on target with hunting rifle, up to 200 meters.

Sakos are beautiful, accurate rifles. I like the short actions for balance - it brings the weight of the barrel closer to the user and seems to make for a pointier rifle. Functionally it doesn't seem to matter.

Only two things to be aware of :-

1/ In only some cases, the high angle of ejection and possible interference with scope turrets.

2/ The bedding system at the front of the action looks like it was designed by a drunk carpenter. Wood screws and tin plates ???

I don't think either would be deal breakers, and certainly a bedding job is no biggy

Re accuracy - I've had several Sakos (pre MOA g'tee), from 222 to 375H&H, and a couple of Tikkas. All well under MOA for three with handloads, and the 375 was under MOA with W/W factory ammo. The only one that I now have, and use factory ammo in, is the 223 Tikka and that's .7" for 3 with good factory ammo.

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new rifle mainly something new to shoot and carry around the farm to thin the coyote population. Also, I would like to take it on a hog hunting trip and maybe take it for whitetail. I know this site is mainly for African hunting so there isn't too much .308 stuff on here but there is a wealth of knowledge within everyone on here so I figured I'd ask.

My only requirements are a nice wood stock, bolt action, and something quality. I've been looking at the Sako 85 Classic with a 20" barrel since I plan on suppressing this. I am a big Model 70 fan but am wanting to venture out into something new for this rifle. I am open to any brands and why you think it would be a good fit.
It's not a bolt action, but it sure as heck gets the job done! M1A Tanker with a 16.25" barrel which is good for brush and hunting in thicker cover.

Attachments

It's not a bolt action, but it sure as heck gets the job done! M1A Tanker with a 16.25" barrel which is good for brush and hunting in thicker cover.

I have an M1A Tanker and it is a blast to shoot and plink with. However, it's accuracy doesn't match modern bolt action hunting rifles, and with its 16" barrel and the integrated flash suppressor/break, it is incredibly loud. I'd have no trouble bringing one along for a close quarters pig hunt as long as I had ear protection, but not sure I'd want to make it my go-to .308 hunting rig.

Glad to hear that, I’m not big on synthetic stocks especially on “budget” rifles. How does the Mauser synthetic do? Is it flimsy like a Ruger American? I might have to look into a replacement stock for it if I end up with one. Is the stock bad enough to justify replacing?
I am perfectly happy with the stock and I dont think it feels flimsy at all. I like that the butt pad comes off with a small storage area inside...enough room for a couple spare shells, small compass, or similar. It has a removeable full five shot magazine and a three position safety...like all Mausers should have! it is mounted on the action though, not on the bolt. The action comes off with an allen wrench, which is vastly better than a screwdriver....and I keep the wrench it the stock so it is always handy!I I paired it with a Leupold single piece piccaniny (did i get that right?) scope base and a Leupold 2x7. Best...although it was listed at about nine hundred dollars, I found it on Gunlist new to my door for under six hundred dollars. I do not consider it a "budget" rifle at all. First rate rifle...(okay, for a lifetime gun I will still grab my 98 Mauser.

Sakos are beautiful, accurate rifles. I like the short actions for balance - it brings the weight of the barrel closer to the user and seems to make for a pointier rifle. Functionally it doesn't seem to matter.

Only two things to be aware of :-

1/ In only some cases, the high angle of ejection and possible interference with scope turrets.

2/ The bedding system at the front of the action looks like it was designed by a drunk carpenter. Wood screws and tin plates ???

I don't think either would be deal breakers, and certainly a bedding job is no biggy

Re accuracy - I've had several Sakos (pre MOA g'tee), from 222 to 375H&H, and a couple of Tikkas. All well under MOA for three with handloads, and the 375 was under MOA with W/W factory ammo. The only one that I now have, and use factory ammo in, is the 223 Tikka and that's .7" for 3 with good factory ammo.
Is it bad enough to warrant taking it to my gunsmith right away to get a proper bedding job done?

I love these, defiantly on my list to get one day. Would love to do a black hawk down clone.

Is it bad enough to warrant taking it to my gunsmith right away to get a proper bedding job done?
Most would say shoot it and see. I personally dislike that design aspect so much that I would bed it even if it shot well.

I am not surprised:
they already launched some "hybrids". such as S20, sako 100, sako a7.
To all this 3 I wouldn't give a second look, They are just not my type of rifle, but I am not saying anything about quality... they could be good. But in my eyes they lack "something".

Sako have to make a dollar.so they look to streamline production.

The 'Poor man's Sako" Tikka are probably selling better than the Sako.

I imagine the Sako purists still want the same quality and standard that Sako were founded on. They are willing pay for desirable models.

These new Sako models will just be Tikkas fancy friend.

Why?
You would expect, then, more accuracy?
Better course of action then would be to buy match rifle. We are talking here about hunting rifle.
My personal view is not to try to fix something that is not broken.

But there is also no harm in taking it for bedding job to gunsmith, if that makes you happy.
Your call.

In my place new models of Sako, are not selling well.

People buy, either Tikka t3x, or Sako 85.
Nobody buys other versions.

In my place new models of Sako, are not selling well.

People buy, either Tikka t3x, or Sako 85.
Nobody buys other versions.
I hope Sako or the overarching business are noting this and will continue to offer a premium model.

Sako have to make a dollar.so they look to streamline production.

The 'Poor man's Sako" Tikka are probably selling better than the Sako.

I imagine the Sako purists still want the same quality and standard that Sako were founded on. They are willing pay for desirable models.

I only own one T3 an Arctic, it’s very accurate. I’ve bought several L/H T3’s for my son over the years. I have several mates who also own several T3’s
I reckon Tikka T3’s are hard to beat All tack drivers straight out of the box

I currently only own 1 Sako, an 85 Finlight in 308. Shot well straight out the box. However, I’ve owned several 75’s and 85’s from 308 through to 30/06, 9.3 and 375. Some shot well from new and 2 of the barstards didn’t.

You can also go custom or semi custom if you know a good gunsmith. Ohio should have some? I went the 308 route once- among many projects through the years. Main purpose for my 308 builds were guaranteed accurate sporting/target rifles at a reasonable cost. I found suitable Rem 700 rifles in proper 308 length for cannibalizing. 243 or 308 would be most common. I ordered Krieger barrels to my specs. I located HS Precision stocks on sale. I gave the actions and barrels to a friend locally who knows how to blueprint Rem 700 actions. Rem 700 actions are among the easiest for decent gunsmiths to properly blueprint. That translates into fewer excuses for fouling the job up and for less expensive work. Total cost approx.... 350 barrel + 350 rifle (action) + 275 stock + 300 gunsmith for blueprinting, chambering and screwing barrel to action = $1275. I imagine these numbers have gone higher the last few years so maybe figure another 300 or so. That pushes it to about $1600. If that is done, there is no reason a 308 set up this way won't shoot to your expectations and be perfectly adequate for fairly long range coyote. The 308s I built would consistently shoot .2" or better @100 yards with any quality 150 to 155 gr grain bullet. Built two similar rifles in 308. One a hunting rifle and one a long range steel popper with a slightly tighter neck and chamber. Sold both in a herd thinning event a couple years ago. :)

I hope Sako or the overarching business are noting this and will continue to offer a premium model.
I think that wise Berreta group policy, would be:

Sako (finland): value line - tikka t3x, premium line - sako 85, and professional line (like sako trg 22, etc)
Beretta (Italy): shotguns and pistols
Holland and holland, UK, elite market for double guns. (H&H was bought by berreta)

And they cover civilian market 90% for all, in all price ranges. without internal competition.
They really dont need anything else.

The new Sako 100 looks very much like a new premium model. Just not traditional. Local shops are quoting prices that are definitely not cheap.

Tikka is a great choice.

Kimber Hunter (then have your smith thread it)
Kimber Montana (if you can find one)

Browning HC Speed

Savage Ultralite

Believe it or not... Ruger American may fit your specs.

For my money I'd try and find a Ruger Hawkeye Hunter. Walnut stock, stainless barrel and action and 5/8" 24 threaded barrel. I bought one a few years ago and have used it on a bunch of hunts, it has been about as accurate as you can get. With my handloads I don't think it has ever shot over a 1" group at 100 yards. When I bought mine, I think the price was somewhere between $800 and $900.

Wow a .308, love it, it’s a fantastic ctg.
I would suggest a Ruger 77 or a Kimber. Both are excellent & offer steel & walnut.

The new Sako 100 looks very much like a new premium model. Just not traditional. Local shops are quoting prices that are definitely not cheap.
Are they into Blaser R8 price territory? If so it will be a hard sell against an R8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!