3.5 12ga vs big bore rifle

I truly believe the 835 stock was designed to exact some type of recoil revenge from the Mossberg engineers on the shoulders of the owners. I've heard more horror stories about that shotgun with turkey loads than a 460WBY without a brake. :rolleyes:

There is a reason the Benelli SBE3 with ComforTech and Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus with KO cost so much...they are worth it. ;)

I have a Benelli SBE1 another SBE2. Neither has comfor tech. Less recoil than the Mossberg 835 but much more than my 375 Model 70.

I do have a Beretta A400, it feels about like my 375 when I use the 3.5 inch Tungsten turkey loads.

I think anyone who can shoot any of these 3.5 inch shotguns can handle a 416 bolt gun or a 470 double of reasonable weight.

Chris, I’m certain that my 12ga 3 1/2” Mossberg 835 Ultimate mag - recoils far more then my .375 H&H - loads i’ve Shot (and been bruised) include 12ga 31/2” 21/4oz Turkey loads and 31/2” slugs. My Mossberg weighs approximately 71/2lbs, is pump action and with 31/2” loads is the hardest kicking shotgun I’ve ever fired - exceeds my .375 H&H and just below my .470 NE double rifle. It is so unpleasant to shoot that I’ve limited it to 23/4” & 3” shells and use only as a “back up shotgun” in the event one of my others breaks or gets stolen..... I’ve killed deer with it using 3” 00 buck (knocks deer off their feet inside 30 yards) but never tried the 31/2” buckshot loads - because I’d likely be “Off My Feet” and spitting out teeth!
For all that recoil the 3 or 31/2” shells have no more killing power then 23/4”....just more pellets and denser pattern - not worth the punishment to my shoulder or jaw. Regarding slugs, any 12 ga 1 Oz or 1 1/4 oz Slug that’s “accurate” will create the same size hole, wound channel, penetration - they all act like a “Beer Can” going through a deer....plenty of killing power. However, I would never consider hunting Cape Buffalo or any DG with a Shotgun Slug —- they are Not equivalent to a .375 H&H and will not penetrate as well. I have minimal experience shooting African DG but extensive (over 75+) deer with shotgun using buckshot & slugs. Given the choice I’d always pick a good rifle.
I have no doubt it is more than a .375! I said its about the equivalent of a .416. When I say "modestly loaded" I mean "Not a .416 Weatherby". I have never had a 3.5" 12 gauge give me a recoil headache if I shoot it while standing. My .458 Win mag... after 3-4 shots (500 grains 2,125fps), I will need Advil later. Very much unpleasant.

I think it really depends on the specific guns more so than caliber. First shotgun I bought as a boy was a winchester 1300 and I think a 3" slug out of that gun is worse than a 3 1/2" turkey load out of my benelli sbe2. I think the semi auto action absorbs a lot of the recoil in the cycling process relative to the pump.

Rifle stocks on big bores seem to be designed so much better ergonomically for recoil than shotguns (or at least the shotguns I have). I will say I only have wood stocks on my rifles, which may also make a difference. Shouldering a shorter big bore with some weight feels much more comfortable to me than a longer/lighter shotgun.

To answer OP, I can't tell a difference between my 375 h&h and my 30-06 if I'm being honest. I'd rather shoot both than a 12 gauge with a 3" or 3 1/2" shell.

If i step up to my 458 Lott, that certainly gets my attention more so than a 12 gauge.

None of them are a problem when hunting. But if you're plinking at paper, after a while, a 12 gauge or 458 will rattle my cage a bit. That's why if I'm target shooting with the big bore, I'll bring 3 or 4 other (smaller) guns with to switch it up.

Good recoil pad makes a big difference too. Few months ago i bought an "all original" pre64 model 70 30-06 featherweight. No padding on that stock on a warm day in a t-shirt kind of sucks after a few shots. More so than much bigger guns with a good pachmayr pad.

I once had a NEF single shot 12 Ga slug gun. I shot some 1 3/4 oz Breneke slugs through it, and I can tell you I'd MUCH rather shoot my 458 Win Mag than that beast! I've also shot a Remington 870 12Ga with 2 1/4 oz turkey loads and it was also much worse than my 458. Proper stock fit and gun weight will make the typical safari calibers fairly manageable to most people. The 375 will be downright easy to handle in comparison.

If you can take a 3.5” Magnum Turkey Load patterning at the range a few times, you’ll be fine with a .375H&H at the range a few times.

I once had a NEF single shot 12 Ga slug gun. I shot some 1 3/4 oz Breneke slugs through it, and I can tell you I'd MUCH rather shoot my 458 Win Mag than that beast! I've also shot a Remington 870 12Ga with 2 1/4 oz turkey loads and it was also much worse than my 458. Proper stock fit and gun weight will make the typical safari calibers fairly manageable to most people. The 375 will be downright easy to handle in comparison.
TOBY458, you Shot 12 ga slugs from a NEF single shot??? What’s that gun weigh - 4 pounds? Lucky you still have a shoulder & cheek bones !! I guessing you won most of your “Bar Fights”!

My style of turkey hunting is run an gun, therefore weight is important to me. Back in the 60s my turkey gun was an 870 3” mag with a 30 in v rib barrel. Next bought an Ithaca 10 ga mag. As my calling improved I realized I was over gunned at least to weight. So on one of my trips I found a NEF single barrel and as I looked it over the thought came to me that I could cot the barrel to 18” have it threaded and try different screw in chokes. Around that the Hastings chokes of .640 gave me the best pattern at 40 yds. Used Federal copper plated 2 1/4 #6 shot. Gun weighs about 5 pounds or less (no scale) Only change I ever made was I bought a 3 1/2 NEF years later and had the same mod done to it. It patterned about the same.
For me when I have a bird in range I never feel the recoil.
People laugh at my gun but they don’t laugh at my turkey spur necklace.
My 375 HH felt recoil appears to be less, same with a 416 Rigby but will say, for what it is worth, the 458 Lott Is getting up there.
If you shoot enough and concentrate your mind on the animal recoil is an after thought. If you even remember it.

Last edited:
My style of turkey hunting is run an gun, therefore weight is important to me. Back in the 60s my turkey gun was an 870 3” mag with a 30 in v rib barrel. Next bought an Ithaca 10 ga mag. As my calling improved I realized I was over gunned at least to weight. So on one of my trips I found a NEF single barrel and as I looked it over the thought came to me that I could cot the barrel to 18” have it threaded and try different screw in chokes. Around that the Hastings chokes of .640 gave me the best pattern at 40 yds. Used Federal copper plated 2 1/4 #6 shot. Gun weighs about 5 pounds or less (no scale) Only change I ever made was I bought a 3 1/2 NEF years later and had the same mod done to it. It patterned about the same.
My 375 HH felt recoil appears to be less, same with a 416 Rigby but will say, for what it is worth, the 458 Lott Is getting up there.
If you shoot enough and concentrate your mind on the animal recoil is an after thought. If you even remember it.
LuvHunt, it’s not your concentration on the bird that keeps you from remembering the recoil - it’s your “Concussion” .....and the bruise on your shoulder (that you don’t remember getting) was Not from walking into a door. But, tuff guys get tuff Turkey’s and obviously you have a record of success - congratulations !!

LuvHunt, it’s not your concentration on the bird that keeps you from remembering the recoil - it’s your “Concussion” .....and the bruise on your shoulder (that you don’t remember getting) was Not from walking into a door. But, tuff guys get tuff Turkey’s and obviously you have a record of success - congratulations !!
L..O..L

You are right. I never feel recoil when shooting game. Only when I'm sitting at the bench. But a 5lb 3 1/2" 12ga would definitely let you know the gun went off! Lol!

I am a newbie here to africa hunting. I looked through the search feature but did not find what I was looking for .
Went this past July with my daughter. Well now I am hooked and we are planning on a return trip in 2025 for buff and a few plains game.
Here is my question, Never having shot a big bore safari type rifle. How does the recoil compare to say a 3 1/2 in heavy 12ga load? Those I have shot a bunch. I am thinking about getting a win m70 in 375 but see quite a few in 416 or even 458win. But I really like a nice double shotgun,,, and a double rifle is a pretty thing....
sorry back to the recoil.
I will say 3.5 inch 00 buck kicks a lot worse than my 375 h&h. Although the 375 has a nice recoil pad.

I'll agree that my Model 70 375H&H is noticeably easier on the shoulder than 3.5" 00 buck or turkey loads from my Mossberg. Much more muzzle rise from the 835 too even though it's ported. I haven't shot anything bigger than 375 so can't help when it comes to those. Good luck on your safari I've only been one and I was hooked too!

You will notice felt recoil on the practice range. When you are in the bush in Africa and shooting at a buffalo you won't feel a thing.
Having said that, I agree with the other posters here. Felt recoil is a function of rifle design and weight and fit. An ill-fitting 12 gauge shotgun will beat you worse than a well-designed big bore rifle.
Agree 100 percent. I've shot 3.5" at the range. Buckshot and turkey loads. 2.5 oz of lead is punishing. This is with a semi auto that soaks up some recoil . A pump would knock your teeth loose. But when shooting at game, not noticeable.

Agree 100 percent. I've shot 3.5" at the range. Buckshot and turkey loads. 2.5 oz of lead is punishing. This is with a semi auto that soaks up some recoil . A pump would knock your teeth loose. But when shooting at game, not noticeable.
True, for your first shot.....if you need to fire a 2nd - you might be pointing at the sky, and a 3rd Shot will be pointing behind you !!

I'll agree that my Model 70 375H&H is noticeably easier on the shoulder than 3.5" 00 buck or turkey loads from my Mossberg. Much more muzzle rise from the 835 too even though it's ported. I haven't shot anything bigger than 375 so can't help when it comes to those. Good luck on your safari I've only been one and I was hooked too!
I think the porting on the Mossberg 835 just makes your “ears bleed” to go along with a bruised shoulder ....it certainly delivers a “manly” level of recoil

I think the porting on the Mossberg 835 just makes your “ears bleed” to go along with a bruised shoulder ....it certainly delivers a “manly” level of recoil
Yeah I've tried to find some 3.5" slugs to shoot out of mind just out of curiosity but never found any. It's hard to even find 3.5" buckshot anymore.

Yeah I've tried to find some 3.5" slugs to shoot out of mind just out of curiosity but never found any. It's hard to even find 3.5" buckshot anymore.
Axle2010, not sure on the 3 1/2” slugs, I think they Might of made them but there was No Man on Earth that could handle them. 3 1/2” Buckshot is easier to find - go on line, Winchester Supreme 3 1/2” 00 sends 18 pellets @ 1400 fps. I found some on sale years ago and bought 10 boxes....I still have 9 & 4/5s boxes left. I knew I’d never shoot them but can’t resist a good ammo sale

Attachments

Federals 1 1/4 3” will kill most animals on N. American continent. Remington did market a 3” 1 3/8 load with an advertised vel. of 1600 fps. They were called Buckhammers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leadscampus

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!