1st rifle for grandson

Charles de Ribeau, I agree with those that advise not buying junk. But by my way of thinking the term "junk" needs to be defined. I consider a well maintained 1896 Swedish Mauser in 6.5 x 55 to be a quality rifle. Not very expensive mind you but extremely well made. I had one cut down to be a "grandkid's" gun here is a link to the post I wrote about it.
Using 156 Gr. Norma Factory Ammunition I think it would be equal to any 308 going. To reduce the recoil I put a good muzzle brake on this rifle. As I recall I calculated the "recoil" at 9 lbs. although that was with 140 Gr. projectiles. Following is an update from a few days ago shortly before his 11th. birthday. https://www.africahunting.com/attachments/123_1-jpeg.419629/

Charles, has your grandson been shooting 22lr and a lighter recoiling centerfires, such as a 223/243 already? If he has already developed good trigger control, follow through and is solid on field positions, then the next step to a 7mm-08 or 308 should be easy. If cow elk is on the menu, I’d suggest a reasonable range with 7mm-08 or 308 depending on your reloading setup. If you don’t reload or are already setup for .30 cal, a 308 would be great. If you reload for other 7mm calibers then the 7-08 would be good. Just my .02 cents.

I went through this. I built my son a nice light 7-08 in a Borden action and Edge filled McMillan Game Scout stock with a spacer system. He sidecast it for a R92 Rossi 16” carbine in .357 sitting in the back of the safe. Go figure. We load it at +P levels with 180gr bullets, (not sure if that meets CO big game ballistic standards but I wouldn’t ask) practice with .38 Specials. He’s now 14 and starting to accept the custom but it’s certainly been on his terms. My point is to take the young feller with you to a store and try on a couple. I would recommend against the brake, the concussion it causes is more harsh than the recoil on a nice light caliber rifle.

Good luck and may you have many successful years with your grandson.

I started my 12 year old son with a Kimber Hunter rifle is 6.5 CM. The only drawback is that the gun weighs in the mid 7 lb range with a scope. For my sister, I got her a 7mm-08. Either are great calibers for younger or smaller people getting in to hunting.
I would NOT go with a larger caliber yet, if recoil bothers him and he makes a poor shot, that might turn him off of hunting.
I also agree that it is smart to buy a nicer rifle that will last. When he is 15 and suddenly grows 40 lbs in a year, you are going to have to consider yet another rifle. But that first one will still be useful for deer and antelope and target shooting. And if it is a quality rifle, his kids will use it too!

Just a another thought a Weatherby vanguard youth model i brought my daughter one in 243 with a wood stock about 5 years ago its a nice rifle, no plastic parts, great action, they come in 7/08, 243 and now 6.5 cm the synthetic stock models are very well priced, a much
better product than a Ruger American or a savage axis you could up grade to a full size wood stock when he gets older. forget about a muzzle brake you can not shoot one with
out ear protection and you do not need that on your head out hunting.

Last edited:
Howa model 1500 same as a Weatherby Vanguard is also a much under rated rifle, no plastic parts, adjustable trigger, Hammer forged barrel, M16 style extractor conventional
opening floor plate, a quality built rifle. i do not sell them, i think they are the best of the economy rifles.
walnut_ss.png

Last edited:
I’d go for a decent .243 Winchester
When I see what a friend of mine does with his out to 300 meters,it’s nothing to be sneezed at.He does reload and shoots clover leafs .I did tease him about his pea shooter but I soon ate my words

Actually, I'm in Colorado. My father's side came from Alsace in the mid-1800s.

That's good advice. I wonder if Cabela's can transfer a gun like that to one of their stores in Colorado or to the mothership in Sydney, NE.
Yes, if you can get the right person/manager involved. Gun Room or Gun Library is where I‘d ask.

I went through this. I built my son a nice light 7-08 in a Borden action and Edge filled McMillan Game Scout stock with a spacer system. He sidecast it for a R92 Rossi 16” carbine in .357 sitting in the back of the safe. Go figure. We load it at +P levels with 180gr bullets, (not sure if that meets CO big game ballistic standards but I wouldn’t ask) practice with .38 Specials. He’s now 14 and starting to accept the custom but it’s certainly been on his terms. My point is to take the young feller with you to a store and try on a couple. I would recommend against the brake, the concussion it causes is more harsh than the recoil on a nice light caliber rifle.

Good luck and may you have many successful years with your grandson.
Cause the lever gun is much cooler to a Kid. He doesn't know what he has or how lucky he is to start with something good

I think a 7-08 or a 308 would both be good options
It simply comes down to a 7mm-08 that
They won't outgrow, it's a modern equivalent of the 7x57 and will always "be effective".

Or , consider downloading a .308.

It's easily done there might be reduced recoil loads on the shelf.

This is totally off-topic. Please delete if it's not appropriate, but I really value the opinions of the people on this site.

My grandson is turning 12 next week, which means he'll be able to start hunting deer and elk. That means it's time for his first big game rifle. At the moment, he is a bit small for his age. So I think less recoil needs to be a priority in choice of caliber.

A muzzle break can certainly go a long way toward reducing recoil, but I also know that an excited teenager (almost) is apt to forget to use his ear protection. Hey, I still did that a few years ago! A brake isn't out of the question, but...

What caliber do you think would work well for him? Thanks.
@Charles de Ribeau
You can't go wrong with a 308. You can load it with 130gn projectiles to get used to the recoil and work up.
PLEASE DONT INFLICT HIM WITH A MUZZLE BRAKE. it the best way to turn him off. My son isn't a big build and he stated with a 308 and even took it to Namibia and acquitted himself well with it.
Bob

No Brake,
A .243, yeah I'm not against it with good projectiles and good shot placement.

No Brake,
A .243, yeah I'm not against it with good projectiles and good shot placement.
@CBH Australia
Oh Chris after all this time and education and counselling time I've put in with you you are still having delusions of granduer thinking the 243 is actually useful for more than tomato stakes. I am disappointed thinking I was finally having success treating that affliction. Next you know you will be getting rid of that beautiful 280AI and getting a 6.5 man bun. I still have faith in you and you will see the light one day.
Bob

I bought my 13-year-old son a Browning A-bolt in .30-06. He killed an 8-point with it the next morning, literally less than 12 hours after I gave it to him...he's 28 now and still killing deer with it.

3053668175_1d5e1ab5bb_z.jpg

It's the stainless and walnut gun...

4054012857_ac8b8cacf0_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I going to suggest against the .243. It's a fine caliber. This is going to be used for elk hunting occasionally. Will a .243 kill an elk? Sure it will. Is it ideal for the job? I dare say 95+% of us wouldn't reach for our trusty .243 if we were going elk hunting. There are far better tools out there. Lets help set this young man up for success with a rifle he can continue to use for many years.
I say this having killed close to 50 elk in my life and being around/in on that many more. They are big animals. Enough preaching. YMMV.
Bruce

My kids are way too young to start shooting/hunting, but that hasn't stopped me from agonizing over these decisions! I think it's hard to go wrong with a 708... especially for larger game and 140 monos. I'm a huge fan of the M70 FWT (I hunt with one in 280 and have one in 6.5cm put away for the kids) but if you haven't hunted with them before, it's important to keep in mind that they aren't really lighter than the sporter models, the stock is just contoured differently and the barrel possibly a little shorter. I.e., they're nowhere near as light as some of the compact/youth models you see from Remington or Weatherby. I've also got a .243 M100 that will likely be the first deer rifle any of them use, because it'll mitigate recoil even more than a bolt gun... BUT if you go the 243, I would avoid the youth Rugers with the super short barrel. They are L-O-U-D and I think a lot of times the noise has more to do with spooking kids than the actual recoil. Just my 2 cents... which might not even be worth that much!

PS - I've fantasized about 6.5x55 and 7x57 for the kids, but I'm thinking it'll be a win if I can just get them all excited about the outdoors... and not assuming I can turn them all into rifle nuts... so I've tried to avoid less common chamberings for them. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babawanjimba

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!