What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

Interesting how the thread has progressed from practicality to sentimentality; and since the high-jacking has occurred, I see little reason to stop.

Doug, you and I grew up in an era where sentiment and tradition had real meaning. Getting a knife was a rite of passage which symbolized a level of trust and responsibility had been reached - don't cut yourself and don't lose it.

My first was a gift from my grandfather, it was one of his old budding knives. Razor sharp with a propensity to not stay closed, it was the perfect accessory to my double-barreled BB gun.

For the record: A sharp knife which fails to remained closed is prone to be unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect. When I got older, I learned this was exactly how the early years of flying were described.

It seemed the blood loss was getting to my mother and the budding knife gave way to one of my dad's folding knives, the BB gun was replaced by a pellet gun.

The cuts became less frequent and I was able to take on more formidable adversaries than garden snails.

Perhaps it was growing up in the country as opposed to the city, but a knife - especially a pocket knife was de rigueur. The Swiss Army knife being the most coveted.

A knife, wire cutters, and a pair of pliers were standard equipment in a tractor tool box.

Knives figured prominently throughout my flying career.

Be it airplane, glider, helicopter, balloon, or airship - I always carried some form of a knife, and there was always misfortune lying in wait.

A knotted tie-down or tow-line, a snagged anchor or mooring line on a sea-plane, snagged landing line on a balloon. My parachute harness had a knife at arm's reach, as do the harnesses in my monster off-road race rig.

Perhaps it is the good fortune of a necessity never having presented itself which reinforces those who seem to so adamantly maintain their conviction a knife is not necessary.

I have not shared in that luck. Cutting my own harness on a roll-over, and that of a driver with a severely injured arm out of his roll-over wreckage are but 2 examples, there are others not so benign.

Not seeing the need is one thing, not carrying one because you believe should the need arise one should be provided for you is another. Either way, I respect your practice and ask only two things - respect mine, and should you find yourself in a situation where someone needs to take action - stay out of the way.

Should you choose instead to ridicule, know you are making light of honor, tradition, and rite-of-passage for others.

I remember fondly my father leading to me a tree where he presented his old folding knife and watched as I carved my initials below his.

The knives I bring to Africa have touched every animal I've taken.

Several years ago, back at the lodge after a successful day of hunting, my wife caught me lost in thought - staring off into the distance. "What are you smiling about", she asked; "Well, I'm picturing Z & P (son and nephew) sitting in this very spot - my doubles at their sides, Cuban cigars in one hand, glass of rum in the other - smiling at each other and raising a toast to dear departed Franco - may he rest in peace".

I see my knives beside them as well.

That old budding knife? It's on my desk.

When someone asks me if I have a knife my response is “am I wearing pants? “.
The only time I don’t have a knife is when I’m in a plane. As soon as I get my luggage it’s back in my pocket. As W C Fields always said you never know when you’re going to have to “cut your way through a mile of human flesh”. Probably a lot of folks on here don’t know who W C Fields was.

Just in case I am classified as one of the "negative " ones I am not...was just saying whst you would probably use most...was given sheath knives a few decades ago when health and safety didn't exist....we used to cut bamboo and sharpen to make spears ....occasionally trying to use on each other....odd cut yup...luckily avoided the bamboo spears.....from memory the biggest fear when bleeding was trying to hide it from my parents ,and finding plasters to try sort it so the knives weren't taken away....but think it was more well its your fault you won't be doing it again.....so wasn't an issue...hate to think what it would these days....probably social services investigation.....so yup I like knives....and in zambia every day (where i come from I would be locked up for having it on me) in my pocket I have a cold steel clip point voyager..4 or 4.5 inch blade...can't remember exactly....dont make it anymore...do but a more safe version which a has thick grip so didn't like it ....have a few knives....lot I gave to my son...so as I said bring what you want and enjoy :D Beers:

And where allowed my very nice JT ranger @Red Leg brought over for me travels along

Franco, “My first was a gift from my grandfather, it was one of his old budding knives. Razor sharp with a propensity to not stay closed, it was the perfect accessory to my double-barreled BB gun.”

Knives were also considered part of being a young boy where I grew up. I remember dreaming of upgrading from my little Boy Scout pocket knife to a “Big Boy” knife. A 5”” case knife that did not lock open.

I was a couple miles from home checking my muskrat traps and cutting anchor stakes with my new big boy Case knife. I was using a lot of force, the knife closed hard on top of my knuckles and cut very deep. I knew my mom would take my knife so I used tape and gloves to hide the cut for a few days. Until she saw it still bleeding.

Of course they took the knife and replaced it with a lock blade.

Knives are a tool, but also more than that. I feel naked when I forget or in an area they are not allowed. So the question for me personally, is why wouldn’t I carry a knife.

Asking another man to borrow his knife would be like borrowing his underwear. Or having him tie my shoes. I would be embarrassed to ask.

I don’t think it means you’re not a man if you don’t carry a knife. Not at all.
It that I don’t feel right without carrying one at all times. If legal

I sent him an email asking if he ships to the US, no reponse.

I think you'll find universally high praise on this forum for Garry "Von Gruff's" safari knives. You won't find any hand made knife made in America for a pricepoint equivalent to what Garry is making in New Zealand. Hundreds of his knives have been sold to readers on this forum. Search for Von Gruff Knives in your browser if you want to see examples of his work.

I think you'll find universally high praise on this forum for Garry "Von Gruff's" safari knives. You won't find any hand made knife made in America for a pricepoint equivalent to what Garry is making in New Zealand. Hundreds of his knives have been sold to readers on this forum. Search for Von Gruff Knives in your browser if you want to see examples of his work.

I have one being made as we speak!

I sent him an email asking if he ships to the US, no reponse.

DWB or myself will speak to him. He might be out hunting.

Most South African knife makers send across the pond regularly. DHL cost is $35-$40.

Image1707795125.501388.jpg

Attachments

• Image1707795087.363895.jpg
    Image1707795087.363895.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 37

As much as I love my Von Gruff EDC, and have gutted and skinned about 100 animals with it, there are many makers who finish their knives to a better quality.

Michael du Plessis
Piet Gray
Andries Strydom
Grayson Jennings
Adriaan de Villiers
Arno Bernard
George Muller
etc etc.

Image1707797886.040079.jpg

IMG_3269.JPG

As much as I love my Von Gruff EDC, and have gutted and skinned about 100 animals with it, there are many makers who finish their knives to a better quality.

Michael du Plessis
Piet Gray
Andries Strydom
Grayson Jennings
Adriaan de Villiers
Arno Bernard
George Muller
etc etc.

View attachment 586991
View attachment 586992
I agree completely with everything you said. My Arno Bernard is far superior in the F&F department. And the price isn’t much different. The $90 USD shipping from NZ negates most of the savings.

Also there are many other makers in the US and around the world that do compete with VG on pricing and make a quality product. Just so we’re clear I’m not knocking Garry at all.

I agree completely with everything you said. My Arno Bernard is far superior in the F&F department. And the price isn’t much different. The $90 USD shipping from NZ negates most of the savings.

Also there are many other makers in the US and around the world that do compete with VG on pricing and make a quality product. Just so we’re clear I’m not knocking Garry at all.

To my calculations, this is my thinking based on landed prices in USA:

Minimum quality, a mass produced ESEE RB3 = $135
Von Gruff hand made EDC or Safari knife = $250-$275
Arno Bernard = $380
A great number of US custom makers in the AKMG = $450-$600
Randall Knives = $1000-$2000

By all means, buy the very best knife you can afford. I haven't found anything as good as Von Gruff's at his pricepoint, and I've found 1.5x-2x finer knives at 1.5x-2x his pricepoint.

To my calculations, this is my thinking based on landed prices in USA:

Minimum quality, a mass produced ESEE RB3 = $135
Von Gruff hand made EDC or Safari knife = $250-$275
Arno Bernard = $380
A great number of US custom makers in the AKMG = $450-$600
Randall Knives = $1000-$2000

By all means, buy the very best knife you can afford. I haven't found anything as good as Von Gruff's at his pricepoint, and I've found 1.5x-2x finer knives at 1.5x-2x his pricepoint.
I hear you and you are correct that for the money they are a pretty good value. The edc is the better deal. The safari knife is $205 plus $90 shipping. That’s with standard configuration.

My Arno Bernard Badger cost me $359 cash at DSC. It has a lanyard and jimping. That’s another $35 in features from VG. My AB also has kudu bone scales which I’m sure would be considered an upgrade from VG and incur more cost. The AB is also unquestionably better finished (I’m not knocking Garry it’s just the truth). On my last VG I bought the horizontal sheath has so little retention that I don’t feel safe carrying it. Also there are a couple minor flaws that you just don’t see with my AB.

On another forum that is knife centric (you should check it out) there are many sponsor knife makers from the US, Brazil, Argentina and Eastern Europe that are competitively priced with VG.

Last edited:
I hear you and you are correct that for the money they are a pretty good value. The edc is the better deal. The safari knife is $205 plus $90 shipping. That’s with standard configuration.

My Arno Bernard Badger cost me $359 cash at DSC. It has a lanyard and jimping. That’s another $35 in features from VG. My AB also has kudu bone scales which I’m sure would be considered an upgrade from VG and incur more cost. The AB is also unquestionably better finished (I’m not knocking Garry it’s just the truth). On my last VG I bought the horizontal sheath has so little retention that I don’t feel safe carrying it. Also there are a couple minor flaws that you just don’t see with my AB.

On another forum that is knife centric (you should check it out) there are many sponsor knife makers from the US, Brazil, Argentina and Eastern Europe that are competitively priced with VG.
That said, if I would’ve had to pay taxes and shipping on my AB I would’ve been closer to $400. It’s just that when you have $90 worth of international shipping tied up in the purchase price I think it makes some sense to seek out comparable alternatives that I believe are out there.

Are Arno Bernard knives all hand made?
Their qc and fit and finish is very good.

Last edited:
I tried to post this picture before but was unsuccessful - operator error no doubt.

These are the fixed blades I take hunting. The smaller 2 are on ammo or culling belts, the larger 2 live in my bag. They were all purchased directly from Arno Bernard at DSC. African Sporting Creations carries them as well.
When I purchased my first one, I was instructed to pick them up until "my" knife found my hand. I had an AB folding knife as well, until it found my nephew's hand.

Yes - I let skinners use them. Yes - they have some scratches. No - it doesn't bother me.

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantstugebant

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair