What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm planning a small utility knife instead of a trademark hunting knife that I see many of you carry when out hunting. Just want to go light and my philosophy is to carry as less of a load specially around the waist as possible. Already feeling the weight of my 12 pound double on long walks. Am I missing something, please educate me..

Depends on where you are and what your intentions are but if you are talking about a guided African hunt you have no more need for a knife than you do at an office job.

If you want to participate in the skinning and/ or butchering, the skinners will no doubt humor you but you’d be helping them about as much as if you brought your car in for service and helped the mechanic.

I myself just carry a Buck Model 110 lockback folder (my standard everyday carry).

In today’s day & age, a client hunter has no need for a large hunting knife beyond the fact that it looks cool and goes with our outfit.

When hunting locally however, I always carry a large fixed blade hunting knife in addition to my Buck Model 110. Namely, a Robert Parrish hollow handle Survivor with a 440C spear point blade.

I’ve only been on two safaris and I think the only thing I used it for was to open an obstinate protein bar wrapper.. iMO, you’ll get more use out of a Swiss Army knife or multi-tool than a hunting knife.

I obviously often hunt on my own, so I carry a small/ medium slipjoint that a friend made for me to gut and skin or quarter the animal. Sometimes i carry my dad’s 1972 Joseph Rogers folder for the same purpose, and sometimes a Victorinox folder, all very sentimental, and all equally capable.

When I hunt with clients, I’ll have a cheap fixed blade in the trackers backpack. You stab it in the ground and place the animal’s mouth over the grip to hold the head nice and upright, without having to prop it up with sticks

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

I pack both a pocket knife a Buck Pony and a old Leatherman every place that I go as long as it is legal. Africa was no different.

Now if I am hunting here in the US or unguided I'll also have a hunting knife. What style and type depends on my mood. A Gerber Gator folding knife goes most of the time on deer and elk hunts.

Besides opening a can of snuff or cutting a piece of biltong, I carry a knife because I can’t carry my pistol. A knife is much better than my ninja skills.

I prefer a multi tool. Personally, I like the Leatherman and use the pliers, screwdriver and bottle opener more than the blade. The pliers and a small role of duct tape have saved a lot of grief over the decades.

I carry a small belt knife anytime I am in the outdoors and would feel naked without one. I have used mine on every safari albeit for rather mundane tasks.

I have carried a different knife on each safari as a way to honor someone who is no longer with us and will never get to experience all that is Africa. My father, father-in-law, and stepfather-in-law are among those I have remembered in this way.

I have a Leatherman Super Tool (old style). It has went along on both of my trips to Africa, more because I would just as soon forget to put on my underwear as forget to add it to my belt. I do not go through days without it. And I have, in a pinch, used it on big game animals. That said, I agree with @Bert the Turtle's assessment.

This is in my daily carry
1. spyderco serrated edge
2. a gerber dime mini multi tool
3 PA light mini flash light ( 700 hours on a 9v )

it’s all very lite in the pocket and invaluable for me on a hunting trip or daily life
image.jpg

Last edited:
This is in my daily carry
1. spyderco serrated edge
2. a gerber dime mini multi tool
3 PA light mini flash light ( 700 hours on a 9v )

it’s all very lite in the pocket and invaluable for me on a hunting trip or daily life View attachment 585118
That’s almost the identical thing I carry - except I prefer the Olight.

Everyone has their favorites but I carry one of these Gerber multi-tools (pliers 600) and a Schrade old timer pocket knife.

Attachments

• Multi-Plier 600 - Stainless, Bluntnose | Gerber.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
There’s no reason to carry a sheath knife on safari. The trackers and skinners will take fine care of your trophies. So I always carry a sheath knife on safari. :giggle: I just don’t feel right without one on my belt.

Mostly decoration when hunting in Africa. But you will find  many on here who are extremely style conscious African hunters. And that's fine. But not my thing. Over there I don't bring a knife. I have been told to not bother asking to help with gutting or skinning. Not that my PH isn't convinced I can't handle a knife (he's seen plenty of photographic evidence confirming I'm sufficiently skilled), but trackers and skinners have status within the safari operation and the community. They are proud of that status ... and they should be. Show them the respect they deserve and let them do their job.

When hunting on this side of the pond, I'm invariably solo. Knife is of course essential for taking care of a downed animal. But I  never wear it on my belt. I always hunt with a daypack and my knife is in there. When bird hunting, I always have a tiny multi-tool in my coat or upland vest pocket. It's purpose is to remove porcupine quills from my dogs, though I have yet to use it for that ... or anything else.

This is my knife, a 1930s KaBar 4.5" drop point. I also always carry a sharpening kit with ceramic sticks in the pack. Not been a fan of folding knives. Difficult fiddling with unlocking the blade in subzero conditions.
20201213_112434.jpg

My last safari we dropped by the skinning shed the first night to see a big impala ram a young girl client shot. My tracker was busy skinning my identical impala ram. I turned to my PH and asked him where the tracker got that knife. A client gave it to him. "Well, he must not have been impressed with your guy's work. That dinky Schrade Old Timer skinner is a bona fide piece of junk! I otta know. I had one for years. The only good thing I can say is it's very unlikely he'll cut himself badly with it. Doesn't he have something better?" PH just smiled. Back at the lodge he explained. Several clients have given him much better knives but he prefers to be seen struggling with junk. Ensures future donations. Also a junker is less likely to disappear from the skinning shed. Makes sense. The next day I noticed he was wearing a different knife in the field.

In a guided safari in Africa:

To look cool.

Nothing less nothing more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardMrh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!