What is the purpose of carrying a knife out in a safari..

I tried to post this picture before but was unsuccessful - operator error no doubt.

These are the fixed blades I take hunting. The smaller 2 are on ammo or culling belts, the larger 2 live in my bag. They were all purchased directly from Arno Bernard at DSC. African Sporting Creations carries them as well.
When I purchased my first one, I was instructed to pick them up until "my" knife found my hand. I had an AB folding knife as well, until it found my nephew's hand.

Yes - I let skinners use them. Yes - they have some scratches. No - it doesn't bother me.
View attachment 587076
Scratches are part of the character that develops as part of you and your knife. They prove that they have been used in the field or somewhere as they are supposed to be and does not spend its life as a show piece...

Scratches are part of the character that develops as part of you and your knife. They prove that they have been used in the field or somewhere as they are supposed to be and does not spend its life as a show piece...
My thoughts exactly

Knives are like anything else. I can’t answer which is the best. For example. I have a custom made Niche knife that I had made to a hardness and steel that specializes in edge retention and will completely process two elk without touch ups. But it is not a prying tool and would not tolerate making kindling or prying in a leg joint. The Niche brand knives run in the $500-$600 range

IMG_3390.jpeg

These other knives I would carry there are more conventional steel. They would need occasional sharpening and could be handed to a skinner without fear of chipping the edge. Plus they are in the $150-$250 range
IMG_3391.jpeg

But these
IMG_3394.jpeg
are what I am more likely to carry

Knives are like anything else. I can’t answer which is the best. For example. I have a custom made Niche knife that I had made to a hardness and steel that specializes in edge retention and will completely process two elk without touch ups. But it is not a prying tool and would not tolerate making kindling or prying in a leg joint. The Niche brand knives run in the $500-$600 range

View attachment 587086
I don't quite understand the purpose of this "saw" on the butt. I have something similar on one knife, but it is impossible to cut through something.

Doesn’t every plant in Africa come with toothpicks growing on it?

There is a danger of hygiene there - who knows who itched about this plant?
Of course, we have to use a toothpick more often than we have to handle an elephant. But I helped my friends twice, because I was the only one with tweezers in my Vix, and they planted a splinter under the nail. This is quite a lot, although 25 years have passed from case to case.

View attachment 587086
These other knives I would carry there are more conventional steel. They would need occasional sharpening and could be handed to a skinner without fear of chipping the edge. Plus they are in the $150-$250 range
View attachment 587087
But these View attachment 587089are what I am more likely to carry
It is a shame that CRKT no longer makes the Ken Onion Ripple like the top knife shown. I have one in blue and it is one of my favorite knives.

First post here but had to give some input. I am going on my first African hunt in 2025 and also have one schedule for 2026. I have spoken with the PHs and no you don't need a knife. That said, I have an old Ka-bar that I bought when I was 12. I turn 57 this year and have memories of learning to whittle a stick with grand-dad with it. The only time that knife comes out is on hunting trips and to get a quick sharpening. You bet this knife will taste some plains game next year. I might get in the way and slow things down a bit but this knife has been a life long friend and it will be with me no matter what.

First post here but had to give some input. I am going on my first African hunt in 2025 and also have one schedule for 2026. I have spoken with the PHs and no you don't need a knife. That said, I have an old Ka-bar that I bought when I was 12. I turn 57 this year and have memories of learning to whittle a stick with grand-dad with it. The only time that knife comes out is on hunting trips and to get a quick sharpening. You bet this knife will taste some plains game next year. I might get in the way and slow things down a bit but this knife has been a life long friend and it will be with me no matter what.
I'm 71 and have a 1930s KaBar 4" drop point with stacked leather that is always in my daypack when big game hunting, but it stays home when I'm in Africa. You can use yours to chop biltong (game meat jerky) but don't argue with your PH about dressing your own animal. Most lodges don't allow it for liability reasons. Some clients know what they are doing prepping carcasses and some think they know what they're doing. PHs can't tell the difference. Same with guns but the PH is physically in a better position to safely guide the client's hands to avoid an accident.

Enjoy your hunt. What will you be after?

I'm 71 and have a 1930s KaBar 4" drop point with stacked leather that is always in my daypack when big game hunting, but it stays home when I'm in Africa. You can use yours to chop biltong (game meat jerky) but don't argue with your PH about dressing your own animal. Most lodges don't allow it for liability reasons. Some clients know what they are doing prepping carcasses and some think they know what they're doing. PHs can't tell the difference. Same with guns but the PH is physically in a better position to safely guide the client's hands to avoid an accident.

Enjoy your hunt. What will you be after?
Thanks for the input, I spoke with my PHs and they understand my desires, as long as I stay down near the rear quarters they have no issues with a "little" help. Can't go anywhere near the cape.

Going on the first trip as a honeymoon trip with my bride to be, so the hunt will concentrate on her, I am trying to get a golden wildebeest. The second trip is the big one, kudu, land, zebra, blue wildebeest, orxy, impala, and a Sable. Just ordered a 300 win mag yesterday for that trip.

The ripple has become somewhat collectible. For what they cost originally. They are a great knife.
According to the representatives that I spoke with at the CRKT booth at the SHOT Show, there are no plans to reintroduce it either. That is a shame as it is one of the smoothest, non-assisted opening knives I own.

Franco, “My first was a gift from my grandfather, it was one of his old budding knives. Razor sharp with a propensity to not stay closed, it was the perfect accessory to my double-barreled BB gun.”

Knives were also considered part of being a young boy where I grew up. I remember dreaming of upgrading from my little Boy Scout pocket knife to a “Big Boy” knife. A 5”” case knife that did not lock open.

I was a couple miles from home checking my muskrat traps and cutting anchor stakes with my new big boy Case knife. I was using a lot of force, the knife closed hard on top of my knuckles and cut very deep. I knew my mom would take my knife so I used tape and gloves to hide the cut for a few days. Until she saw it still bleeding.

Of course they took the knife and replaced it with a lock blade.

Knives are a tool, but also more than that. I feel naked when I forget or in an area they are not allowed. So the question for me personally, is why wouldn’t I carry a knife.

Asking another man to borrow his knife would be like borrowing his underwear. Or having him tie my shoes. I would be embarrassed to ask.

I don’t think it means you’re not a man if you don’t carry a knife. Not at all.
It that I don’t feel right without carrying one at all times. If legal
Altitude, there is a BIG difference in asking to borrow another Man’s Underwear and asking to borrow his knife —- borrowing his knife seems very strange !!

I often take a pocket knife, a multitool that I mostly use for the leather punch and pliers, and a decent heavy-bladed pocket knife for heavier tasks like carving out a bush blind. Along with entering waypoints onto my GPS, I also question my PH if he has any medication and anything he might be allergic to.

Thanks for the input, I spoke with my PHs and they understand my desires, as long as I stay down near the rear quarters they have no issues with a "little" help. Can't go anywhere near the cape.

Going on the first trip as a honeymoon trip with my bride to be, so the hunt will concentrate on her, I am trying to get a golden wildebeest. The second trip is the big one, kudu, land, zebra, blue wildebeest, orxy, impala, and a Sable. Just ordered a 300 win mag yesterday for that trip.
Have fun. Don't get too distracted on the honeymoon. :D. That rifle will do just fine for those critters. I presume you'll be renting a rifle this trip? Understand your knife must go into checked baggage. Hopefully it doesn't get legs or lost along the way. I know how much it means to you. Next trip you can put it inside your locked gun case. That is legal everywhere as far as I know. Very rare for gun cases to disappear during transit. Less rare for ordinary checked baggage to "get lost." Incidentally, putting ammo in the gun case is not allowed on some airlines or anywhere in South Africa. We will help you cross that bridge when you come to it.

Thanks again, not renting, I will have this new rifle scoped and well used before then. Been doing alot of reading about the paperwork and regulations and the only thing I have not seen an abundance of info on was bringing my supressor home. A lot of info on taking it out of country and getting it into South Africa. Very little info on bringing it back. Plan on having my tax stamp ready to go but would like more info.
Believe me at almost 60, I get enough "distraction" whether on honeymoon or not. She has never been on a real vacation so I think this will be very special for her.

Thanks again, not renting, I will have this new rifle scoped and well used before then. Been doing alot of reading about the paperwork and regulations and the only thing I have not seen an abundance of info on was bringing my supressor home. A lot of info on taking it out of country and getting it into South Africa. Very little info on bringing it back. Plan on having my tax stamp ready to go but would like more info.
Believe me at almost 60, I get enough "distraction" whether on honeymoon or not. She has never been on a real vacation so I think this will be very special for her.
Be sure to get an AirTag for your guncase. Those things are a godsend! Can't help you with can info. Never been a fan, though I took two of my best trophies with my PH's rifle outfitted with one. Those were also my two longest shots in sixty years ... for what that's worth (not a lot in my book ... I prefer up close and personal).

For what it's worth, I've carried a knife on 2 African hunts and had to use it once, when no one else's knife was sharp enough to get through a giraffe leg hide to attach winch cables to load the bull onto a trailer for a trip to a butcher. On two other African hunts I didn't have a knife as I didn't take a firearm and solely had a carry-on backpack. On neither of those hunts did a situation ever arise where I would have needed it. My PH had a knife and a multi-tool on his belt if I ever needed anything.

@Philip Glass can help you as he has great experience with suppressors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnHar

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !